Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 03-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #11
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugo View Post
Hey Seconds, looks like everything is going good. Were the speed bench's timed? Don't have to much fun with that sled. Ha ha. Ugo
Hey Ugo. No, they weren't timed. I asked about the Tendo unit, but the trainer doesn't seem to know how to bring up the right settings.
Haha, you're right, I'll probably end up dragging it everywhere. I'll be walking down the street or running errands dragging this iron sled behind me.
Actually, I borrowed a page from your book today. I remember when you suggested barbell complexes to someone once. I kind of did the same thing with using different grips/movements on the sled.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #12
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Looks like a lot of fun. This should be an interesting ride. Looking forward to see where this takes you.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #13
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Great work. I'm excited for your oppertunity to train at a genuine, bonafied Westside Gym. Very awesome.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #14
SecondsOut
Max Brawn

SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast
Default Tuesday, 3/26: Max Effort Squat

1-RM Close-Stance Squat
10 x bar
8 x 135
4 x 225
2 x 275

1 x 300
1 x 315

Didn't have time to go to the Westside gym today, so I went to my "usual" gym, where I still have time left on my membership. Today is supposed to be max effort squat, so I figured I'd do my regular close-stance/Olympic form.
My performance sucked. I don't know why. I was tired all day from lack of sleep and didn't want to lift at all, but I've had very good lifting days even when feeling like this. The 315 took everything I had; the last time I did 315, I felt like I could have easily done a double.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #15
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

You ok SO? Been a few days since you've been around. Hope all is well!
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #16
SecondsOut
Max Brawn

Default Thursday, 3/28: Max Effort Bench

1-RM Floor Press (w/football bar [60 lbs.])

8 x 150
2 x 200

1 x 220 FAIL
1 x 210 (new benchmark)

I also did more assistance exercises than I can even remember. A combo of pull and press movements. I finished with the sled. Lots of volume for a max effort day.

The football bar is difficult to control. We used hammer grip. You need to wait after you unrack it because it becomes unbalanced and causes your wrists to wobble. Feels like you might dump the weight on your face! In fact, it's almost worse with lighter weights. And yes, even the big guys experienced the wobble.

I can flat bench quite a bit more than 210. Really not sure why I could only floor press 210. Not too worried about it, though, because my lats, traps, chest, delts, and tris look thicker and feel denser than ever. I had to go to a conference today, and last night I had to run out to a department store to pick up a new dress shirt because my old ones don't fit. My old dress shirts = 15 1/2 collar and I had no problem buttoning them this past fall. The new shirt? 17 1/2 collar, and it fits perfectly (not loose at all). Can't be too sad about a temporary drop in strength when I'm growing like this

Last edited by SecondsOut; 03-29-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #17
SecondsOut
Max Brawn

Exclamation

I won't be working out at that gym any more. It's a totally awesome place, but I had to come to grips with the fact that it's eating up too much of my time. It takes too long to drive out there, the workouts last forever because it's so crowded and you have to share stations, and I've been getting home late and missing sleep. Also, I've been having difficulty keeping up with my regular work. Oh, and I finally found out how much I have to pay, and it's too expensive!

I'll stay at my crappy commercial gym, buy some bands, and try to figure out some way to do GPP work. I think those sled pulls are exactly what I need to finally build up my upper body.

If you have any ideas, let me know. Also, I may consider starting a new routine, so feel free to share any programs you've had success with.

btw, here's just a sampling of the sights I got to take in while working out there (I didn't take the pic). These are a few of the ladies who regularly work out there.

Last edited by SecondsOut; 03-29-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #18
1morerep
Max Brawn
Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45 Points: 5,041, Level: 45
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast1morerep is a lifting beast

Cant be that far...I travel 3.5 hrs every other Sunday to Metal Militia Gym in Winchester, VA. I did 12 hrs twice back and forward to Westside in my R & R and again after my deployment...that's far!!! Sometimes we need to do what we got it do!!! Either way, I know was a great experience for you!!

540/385/515 (previous meet)

http://www.metalmilitia-va.com/

Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go!!!

1MOREREP 2014
1morerep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #19
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

I was wondering about the cost. From what I've heard, many of those specialized gyms are very expensive. Crossfit is similiar, in that all the training is supervised, and I know that those can get crazy 'spensive.

You can always come over to texas and train in my garage with me. I need someone to help me put on my new bench shirt.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #20
SecondsOut
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1morerep View Post
Cant be that far...Sometimes we need to do what we got it do!!!
damn straight, brother!
only thing is, i'm a PhD student and i teach. the workload is insane and pretty much requires me to be in the books 10+ hrs. a day. so even when i'm not technically on campus "working," i'm still somewhere with my nose in a book puttin in the hours. working out at this gym has been cutting into my regular work time, unfortunately.