Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 07-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #461
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

WORKOUT

Pretty good session today. Maybe not as good as the rest have been though. Have a few questions, be cool if you could help me out

OHP - 5X5 - 17.5KG
So I progressed in a sense today. Not in the sense of an increase in weight, but in that of understanding the lift better.
I'm using a more comfortable weight now, 20kg I came to the realization was too heavy until I get my form down properly.
I've also noticed where the balance problem (what's preventing me from doing OHP properly) happens near the top of the lift.
The part when weight goes past my forehead, and my head moves forward.
The problem seems to be keeping my feet from moving forward, while I'm holding thew weight at its peak above my head, while thrusting my head underneath the bar (like the Rippetoe videos have shown me.)
Maybe that'll give you a better understanding of the problem. It has me, its now just knowing how to correct it.
I took note of the foot placement suggestions you all gave me, and that certainly helped, my foot width was too narrow before, but as you can see, the problem still persists.
At least I learned something though.
DIPS - 5X5 - BODY WEIGHT + 25KG
Probably my favorite and strongest exercise. Went really well, there was just one problem I'll explain at the end. (Related to all the lifts)
DEAD LIFT - 5X5 - 77.5KG
Went great, finally hit the 5X5 which is what I wanted so I'm happy about that.
BARBELL ROWS - 5X5 - 50KG
Kind of annoyed here. My own fault.
To start with I put 50KG on the bar instead of 55 which is what I should have been lifting for this workout.
So that was kind of disheartening I suppose to find out that the weight you lifted last week now feels heavier than the wight you we're supposed to be progressing onto!
To make matters worse It didn't really go very well. At least...I don't think it did.
Right after I write this up I'm going to go on a search for some form videos for rows, because the thing is I'm not sure weather I'm doing them correctly.
Sure, I got 5 reps for 5 sets, but was I explosive on the way up? was I going right up to my chest? Not so much.
Don't really think I'm getting the most out of these, feel as though my back is getting neglected somewhat.
Though one of the main problems here again was the one I'll explain now.

The problem I'm having, is that I don't seem to have a very good idea of what a "good set" is.

How far do I go? How much weight do I put on the bar to get there? etc;...

With dips for example. While adding anymore weight would likely make me falter and not hit 5x5, after finished 5 sets for 5 reps of dips today, I didn't feel like I'd really pushed it hard enough. The last reps we're a struggle, yeah, but somehow I felt they should've been harder, even though they theoretically couldn't have been without me adding weight that made me falter, which obviously isn't good either.

Or with rows, where I hit 5X5, and couldn't have added anymore weight anyway, I felt at the end like I somehow didn't hit it hard enough.

Perhaps its just me...Thats probably the case actually. Just writing down how I feel though. This doesn't happen with Bench Press and Squats however.

Maybe its just something that'll sort its self out. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated here as always.

The other question (more trivial) was about "the pump". Or lack of in my case.
I don't know weather its something I should been experiencing, but with workout B (this one), I don't really have a pump. I know it really isn't indicative of anything, but just wondered.

Anyway other than that, I still hit it hard to some extent with the dead lifts, and the other stuff was by no means easy, so I got some work done, which is the main thing.
I'll just move on now and forget about it, using your advice to better it next time.

Thanks for stopping by!

- Linden
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #462
Cliffhanger
Brawn
Points: 185, Level: 3 Points: 185, Level: 3 Points: 185, Level: 3
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Cliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributorCliffhanger is a consistent contributor

Drop the weight on the rows bend more and pull the weight up to your chest. That way you have a bigger ROM and contraction in your lats. Yes cheat/yates row have their place but if you do not feel your back you need to make the exercise hit your back more. I had the same problem and dropped the weight on my rows and went parallel to the ground with my chest and now my lats burn.
Cliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #463
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I think everyone, at some point, has loaded their bar incorrectly...I've certainly done it and have read about people that have inadvertently loaded it heavier one side than the other, which makes for some difficult pulling , don't worry about the fact that you loaded it a little light, it won't hurt any, loading it a little heavier than normal would have been the issue.

Logging down how you feel is good, it gives you more feedback than just pure numeric; I always log (on paper) everything which I feel is important, down to: something I forgot to do, something I did differently, tiredness, being too hot etc.

As for the "pump", I've never understood that either, and it's probably unimportant, in the long run, progress over pump, all the way.

After a few sessions, you'll understand what a good set feels like, the right load for the rep range etc...at the moment you're on a learning curve with that, that's also a good reason to jot down the little things which you may feel are of little relevance now but will help you look back and say "Aha, yeah, that worked there!" and then be able to utilise that information to alter the session very slightly to make all the difference. Note down things like grip issues, different grips, different stance widths etc. Doesn't necessarily have to be logged here but somewhere for ease of reference, so that you can make use of it.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #464
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

i never barbell row to my chest i row to my stomach if i use a lighter weight and row to my chest my biceps do most of the work.

row the weight explosively to the stomach about belly button height or higher.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #465
Randoja
Powered by Purus
Max Brawn
Points: 7,378, Level: 57 Points: 7,378, Level: 57 Points: 7,378, Level: 57
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Exp: 12 years on and off.
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat/Bench/Dead
Fav Supp: Whole Milk
Randoja is a master memberRandoja is a master memberRandoja is a master memberRandoja is a master memberRandoja is a master memberRandoja is a master memberRandoja is a master memberRandoja is a master memberRandoja is a master memberRandoja is a master memberRandoja is a master member

Keep it up LG.
www.puruslabs.net
www.unbreakablegear.com <--Save 10% on apparel with coupon code MAB10!
Meet PR's:451/270/501 (181) 479/270/529 (198) Best Total: 1212@181 1278@198
Randoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:27 AM   #466
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
Drop the weight on the rows bend more and pull the weight up to your chest. That way you have a bigger ROM and contraction in your lats. Yes cheat/yates row have their place but if you do not feel your back you need to make the exercise hit your back more. I had the same problem and dropped the weight on my rows and went parallel to the ground with my chest and now my lats burn.
Good idea, thanks Cliff.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:28 AM   #467
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarley View Post
i never barbell row to my chest i row to my stomach if i use a lighter weight and row to my chest my biceps do most of the work.

row the weight explosively to the stomach about belly button height or higher.

Got it, thanks Lee.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:29 AM   #468
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
I think everyone, at some point, has loaded their bar incorrectly...I've certainly done it and have read about people that have inadvertently loaded it heavier one side than the other, which makes for some difficult pulling , don't worry about the fact that you loaded it a little light, it won't hurt any, loading it a little heavier than normal would have been the issue.

Logging down how you feel is good, it gives you more feedback than just pure numeric; I always log (on paper) everything which I feel is important, down to: something I forgot to do, something I did differently, tiredness, being too hot etc.

As for the "pump", I've never understood that either, and it's probably unimportant, in the long run, progress over pump, all the way.

After a few sessions, you'll understand what a good set feels like, the right load for the rep range etc...at the moment you're on a learning curve with that, that's also a good reason to jot down the little things which you may feel are of little relevance now but will help you look back and say "Aha, yeah, that worked there!" and then be able to utilise that information to alter the session very slightly to make all the difference. Note down things like grip issues, different grips, different stance widths etc. Doesn't necessarily have to be logged here but somewhere for ease of reference, so that you can make use of it.

Thanks for that babs, made me put things into perspective a little better.

I'll do that
Old 07-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #469
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
WORKOUT

Pretty good session today. Maybe not as good as the rest have been though. Have a few questions, be cool if you could help me out

OHP - 5X5 - 17.5KG
So I progressed in a sense today. Not in the sense of an increase in weight, but in that of understanding the lift better.
I'm using a more comfortable weight now, 20kg I came to the realization was too heavy until I get my form down properly.
I've also noticed where the balance problem (what's preventing me from doing OHP properly) happens near the top of the lift.
The part when weight goes past my forehead, and my head moves forward.
The problem seems to be keeping my feet from moving forward, while I'm holding thew weight at its peak above my head, while thrusting my head underneath the bar (like the Rippetoe videos have shown me.)
Maybe that'll give you a better understanding of the problem. It has me, its now just knowing how to correct it.
I took note of the foot placement suggestions you all gave me, and that certainly helped, my foot width was too narrow before, but as you can see, the problem still persists.
At least I learned something though.
DIPS - 5X5 - BODY WEIGHT + 25KG
Probably my favorite and strongest exercise. Went really well, there was just one problem I'll explain at the end. (Related to all the lifts)
DEAD LIFT - 5X5 - 77.5KG
Went great, finally hit the 5X5 which is what I wanted so I'm happy about that.
BARBELL ROWS - 5X5 - 50KG
Kind of annoyed here. My own fault.
To start with I put 50KG on the bar instead of 55 which is what I should have been lifting for this workout.
So that was kind of disheartening I suppose to find out that the weight you lifted last week now feels heavier than the wight you we're supposed to be progressing onto!
To make matters worse It didn't really go very well. At least...I don't think it did.
Right after I write this up I'm going to go on a search for some form videos for rows, because the thing is I'm not sure weather I'm doing them correctly.
Sure, I got 5 reps for 5 sets, but was I explosive on the way up? was I going right up to my chest? Not so much.
Don't really think I'm getting the most out of these, feel as though my back is getting neglected somewhat.
Though one of the main problems here again was the one I'll explain now.

The problem I'm having, is that I don't seem to have a very good idea of what a "good set" is.

How far do I go? How much weight do I put on the bar to get there? etc;...

With dips for example. While adding anymore weight would likely make me falter and not hit 5x5, after finished 5 sets for 5 reps of dips today, I didn't feel like I'd really pushed it hard enough. The last reps we're a struggle, yeah, but somehow I felt they should've been harder, even though they theoretically couldn't have been without me adding weight that made me falter, which obviously isn't good either.

Or with rows, where I hit 5X5, and couldn't have added anymore weight anyway, I felt at the end like I somehow didn't hit it hard enough.

Perhaps its just me...Thats probably the case actually. Just writing down how I feel though. This doesn't happen with Bench Press and Squats however.

Maybe its just something that'll sort its self out. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated here as always.

The other question (more trivial) was about "the pump". Or lack of in my case.
I don't know weather its something I should been experiencing, but with workout B (this one), I don't really have a pump. I know it really isn't indicative of anything, but just wondered.

Anyway other than that, I still hit it hard to some extent with the dead lifts, and the other stuff was by no means easy, so I got some work done, which is the main thing.
I'll just move on now and forget about it, using your advice to better it next time.

Thanks for stopping by!

- Linden
I don't know how to do the cool break up the quote thing and respond to each point, so I will just do this. Hope it makes sense. (Hey, we didn't even have personal computers when I graduated from college! Not my fault! )

First, balance is always a problem with OH lifts and it usually is core strength more than foot placement or form or anything else. Yes, get your feet right and use good form, but a strong core is key to any big four lift. I suspect a core weakness especially given your rollout problems. It's you thin guys! You've never had to suck in your gut for hours at a time to impress a lady! Haha.

Dips and your "good set" dilemma. OK. This could be a problem given your OCD because this is a gray area. Good sets are when you complete all the reps you set out to do. I get it that you don't want to leave reps on the table, but you are so new to all this you have no idea where your "limit" is especially over 5 sets. DO NOT try to push for progression too fast. You will stall and get frustrated. Do your sets and move on to the next week. It is far better to leave some on the table now then to stall and leave a lot left undone later. You will progress. Trust the process. Might seem light now, but it adds up quick. Stay the course.

On rows, do whatever form you like, but they should hit right around the bottom of your ribcage and again, you worked yourself properly if you got all the reps. If you don't feel "worked" enough well give it a few weeks and you will. I'm telling you. You're just learning. Get form down and respect the process as it will add up quick. I'd rather you had "easy" weeks of hitting all your rows set after set, than pushing too fast and stalling hard and getting frustrated.

Bottom line, You are doing work and must be happy with that. I'll give you an example. I can bench right around 300 if not more, but right now I am doing sets with 255 and 220 for reps. Why would I do that if I can do so much more? Because you can't go to the limit very often. You have to build up reps to hit higher numbers in the future. Especially as a new person, you must do reps, even if you aren't sure if they are hard enough. They are.

You should not feel exhausted right now. You should feel worked and feel like you just need a bit of food and rest and rarin' to push it again next time.

I know this is long winded, I'm sorry. Point is just take your time. Work your way up. DOn't second guess. Follow the program. It will work.

I'm impressed so far. Stay the course. See what happens. That's the cool part.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:27 AM   #470
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Great post Mike, thank you.

Quote:
I don't know how to do the cool break up the quote thing and respond to each point, so I will just do this. Hope it makes sense. (Hey, we didn't even have personal computers when I graduated from college! Not my fault! )
haha its fine. If you want to do that though, all you do is highlight the text you want to quote, and press the little speech bubble button 3 to the left of the YouTube symbol.

Quote:
First, balance is always a problem with OH lifts and it usually is core strength more than foot placement or form or anything else. Yes, get your feet right and use good form, but a strong core is key to any big four lift. I suspect a core weakness especially given your rollout problems. It's you thin guys! You've never had to suck in your gut for hours at a time to impress a lady! Haha.
Right I see. How should I go about strengthening my core then?

Quote:
Dips and your "good set" dilemma. OK. This could be a problem given your OCD because this is a gray area. Good sets are when you complete all the reps you set out to do. I get it that you don't want to leave reps on the table, but you are so new to all this you have no idea where your "limit" is especially over 5 sets. DO NOT try to push for progression too fast. You will stall and get frustrated. Do your sets and move on to the next week. It is far better to leave some on the table now then to stall and leave a lot left undone later. You will progress. Trust the process. Might seem light now, but it adds up quick. Stay the course.

On rows, do whatever form you like, but they should hit right around the bottom of your ribcage and again, you worked yourself properly if you got all the reps. If you don't feel "worked" enough well give it a few weeks and you will. I'm telling you. You're just learning. Get form down and respect the process as it will add up quick. I'd rather you had "easy" weeks of hitting all your rows set after set, than pushing too fast and stalling hard and getting frustrated.

Bottom line, You are doing work and must be happy with that. I'll give you an example. I can bench right around 300 if not more, but right now I am doing sets with 255 and 220 for reps. Why would I do that if I can do so much more? Because you can't go to the limit very often. You have to build up reps to hit higher numbers in the future. Especially as a new person, you must do reps, even if you aren't sure if they are hard enough. They are.

You should not feel exhausted right now. You should feel worked and feel like you just need a bit of food and rest and rarin' to push it again next time.

Right, yeah I totally get what your saying. Similar to what Babs said too.

I'll be sure to remember that.

Quote:
I know this is long winded, I'm sorry.
Believe me Mike, I like longwinded. Lond winded great, and I appreciate the time youv'e taken to over these months to write out all this stuff for me.

Quote:
Point is just take your time. Work your way up. DOn't second guess. Follow the program. It will work.
Got it.

Quote:
I'm impressed so far. Stay the course. See what happens. That's the cool part.

Will do. I just have to make sure I go slow and I'll be fine I think. Already made some noticeable muscle gains.

Thanks mate