Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 05-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #271
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I did NOT congratulate you on your last workout. In fact when I read it, I decided to just ignore your whole situation. Not even sure why I'm in here helping you again. There is no listening, no understanding, just a belief that you can mish-mash a bunch of different advice and make it work. Your workout is not good, your progression system is rubbish, and you change your perspective daily. I fear that I am just adding to the White Noise in your head. Sorry I'm not being very nice but I feel as if you need a BIG dose of reality. I'm afraid that I just can't help you in your current state. Sometimes you just have to shake hands and part ways. . .
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #272
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
I assumed after the advice I was given, I'd be able to slowly increase the weight without hitting any road blocks.
However, weight I can lift one session, doesn't necessarily carry over to the next training session.
Its like I randomly gain or lose strength every workout, making any form of progression insanely difficult to judge, no matter what method I'm using.

I did what you said and took measurements though.

Yes your right, that was an exaggeration. However allot have, and that has an effect on my determination to do this.
On the last point, this is the internet, a lot of people will at some point in time have opposing views, it happens, however, it should never be allowed to affect a person's determination.

Since you took measurements, there is no need to use the word "feel" in relation to what you see in the mirror, instead you would be better looking at any logged measurements...drop the word "feel" and stop looking in the mirror

To your first point: people do not randomly gain and lose strength, to that degree; a person can have a bad day; or experience a drop due to a bad night sleep or because they aren't as focussed in one session as they were in another one; or not be as hydrated or fed, etc...there are many variables, it's not all strength-related, all the time. I'm assuming you may have began with a load that is too heavy, initially...so drop it back a bit, as OffRoad and others have suggested. It doesn't matter if the weight feels easy for a while, the body is still adapting to it...as the reps increase (relatively easily, not an all-out PR struggle style) then add a bit more weight and reduce the reps back again to the start rep number...increase when it gets easy to get the 12 reps (or whatever it was that was suggested), then drop back the reps again...do not go for massive jumps in weightloads and if you feel a 10lbs (or whatever load increase it is) is too much, put less on the bar at each increase.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #273
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
On the last point, this is the internet, a lot of people will at some point in time have opposing views, it happens, however, it should never be allowed to affect a person's determination.

Since you took measurements, there is no need to use the word "feel" in relation to what you see in the mirror, instead you would be better looking at any logged measurements...drop the word "feel" and stop looking in the mirror

To your first point: people do not randomly gain and lose strength, to that degree; a person can have a bad day; or experience a drop due to a bad night sleep or because they aren't as focussed in one session as they were in another one; or not be as hydrated or fed, etc...there are many variables, it's not all strength-related, all the time. I'm assuming you may have began with a load that is too heavy, initially...so drop it back a bit, as OffRoad and others have suggested. It doesn't matter if the weight feels easy for a while, the body is still adapting to it...as the reps increase (relatively easily, not an all-out PR struggle style) then add a bit more weight and reduce the reps back again to the start rep number...increase when it gets easy to get the 12 reps (or whatever it was that was suggested), then drop back the reps again...do not go for massive jumps in weightloads and if you feel a 10lbs (or whatever load increase it is) is too much, put less on the bar at each increase.

Right ok.

maybe it was because of one of those reasons I felt strength-less.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #274
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
I did NOT congratulate you on your last workout.
I wasn't talking to you. Someone else thumbed up my post.

Quote:
In fact when I read it, I decided to just ignore your whole situation. Not even sure why I'm in here helping you again. There is no listening, no understanding, just a belief that you can mish-mash a bunch of different advice and make it work. Your workout is not good, your progression system is rubbish, and you change your perspective daily. I fear that I am just adding to the White Noise in your head. Sorry I'm not being very nice but I feel as if you need a BIG dose of reality. I'm afraid that I just can't help you in your current state. Sometimes you just have to shake hands and part ways. . .

...I did what you said and something else went wrong. I followed it to a tee apart from the rep scheme.

I can't get over my OCD to achieve my goals, and never will I guess.
Thanks for making me realize that.

Thanks to everyone who's attempted to help over the past 2 months, but I can't do it anymore, I'll never get it right by the looks of it, so I quit.

- Linden
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #275
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
Thanks to everyone who's attempted to help over the past 2 months, but I can't do it anymore, I'll never get it right by the looks of it, so I quit.

- Linden
Better yet, just take a few days to think things through...the lifting and progression is not that complex.

As for the whole package, people seldom get it "right" that's why they change things.

You can quit but you may just become one of the people that say "I wish I'd started this years ago", when you have the perfect opportunity to do so now.

There's also a question you have got to ask yourself with regards to your modelling career; at the moment, you're young, they are not going to want that young teen look forever...take a moment to look at and consider some of the more muscular physique guys that are also clothing models who are older than you are, because that is what they may well want for the future post-teen model look.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #276
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quit?

Why are you quitting? Simplify, don't quit.

We've been trying to get you to simplify. This industry will pull you down the wrong path in a heart beat. Quitting is for quitters. That's not what you want.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #277
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I did NOT congratulate you on your last workout. In fact when I read it, I decided to just ignore your whole situation. Not even sure why I'm in here helping you again. There is no listening, no understanding, just a belief that you can mish-mash a bunch of different advice and make it work. Your workout is not good, your progression system is rubbish, and you change your perspective daily. I fear that I am just adding to the White Noise in your head. Sorry I'm not being very nice but I feel as if you need a BIG dose of reality. I'm afraid that I just can't help you in your current state. Sometimes you just have to shake hands and part ways. . .
I have to echo this sentiment.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #278
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

Quote:
I wasn't talking to you. Someone else thumbed up my post.

...I did what you said and something else went wrong. I followed it to a tee apart from the rep scheme.

I can't get over my OCD to achieve my goals, and never will I guess.
Thanks for making me realize that.

- Linden
you did not follow it to a tee, you wouldent be in this situation if you did.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #279
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Thanks for that.

I understand, its just I'm finding everything difficult at the moment.

I want to be able to do it like you guys do. From looking at your logs, you go in, smash the weights, go home.

For me its always more complicated.

It all stems from my progression, which is virtually non existent because I can't get it right.
I'd love to be able to just slowly progress like you do, but it doesn't seem to work like that. Every things on and off.
Sounds like excuses and whining to me. I find time to get in the gym, not always easy for someone who is on call 24/7/365. Point is, I make the time.

2.) I don't always "smash the weights." Some days I struggle and fight, but that is what I do, struggle and fight. I learn more about the weights, movements, form and myself on the bad days than on the good days. The good days bring encouragement, the hard, bad days bring the growth. Spiritually, Mentally and physically.

3.) Again, don't over think. this is not rocket science. In both the gym and the kitchen, you go in, get the job done and then you move on. Period. The hard part is not doing it, not even eating right, the hard part is being consistent and persistent.

4.) Always, Always, Always, focus on what you CAN do, not what you can't. When I began, I couldn't squat 50 lbs x 10, it has taken a few years but recently I squatted 260 x 6. Took time. If I focused on the fact that I couldn't squat my body weight, I would have given up. I just took it slow and did what I could. Some days that was 10 lbs more or 2 reps more, some days it was only .5 lbs more. But every day, I focus on what I can do.

You are young. In weight training age, you are still in diapers. Don't rush to grow up, you will only get frustrated. Know that you will grow up and just keep, consistently and persistently, doing what needs to be done.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #280
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Linden, don't quit. Push the reset button.

Look at it this way. You are successful in life at something, modeling, photography, making girls smile at you, whatever. You are very good at something. Well, were you born that way? Or did you have to work for it? Were there setbacks you had to overcome? Or just smooth sailing until this point in life?

I think if you want to do something in life you will do what it takes to get it.

Harness the things that you do well to help you get where you are today and use them with your fitness life too. I think perhaps many of us are telling you to be different than who you are and that is perhaps not helping.

You are who you are for a reason. But don't let that cripple you. Whatever it took for you to be successful in other aspects of life, fit that into your fitness goals, but don't let your unfamiliarity with the process bog you down with endless questions and concerns.

Did you get a modeling job first time out of the box, or did you have to work and earn it? Did you have to change things and/or be persistent? Or did you throw your hands up and quit?

Everything worth having in life you have to earn. Earn it now. Come back and keep trying until you get what you want.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote