Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 07-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #391
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Good to see you hitting it hard again...looks like you enjoyed your workout which is half the battle.

With the OHP, Rippetoe does some great vids which may be of help, I don't have a link to hand but should be easy enough to locate, if you look on youtube.

They're also not the easiest to add lots of weight to, so progress may be slow or slower than you'd like but don't let that worry you...just keep plodding along, the loads eventually increase in all areas.

Thanks Babs

I did enjoy it. Was allot more positive, thats for sure.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have a look for that vid.
I'm fine with slow progress as long as SOMETHINGS happening, so its all good

Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for supporting me
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #392
leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Thanks for supporting me mate.

Its standing, I was wondering if I'd be better going seated? Might help the balance issue. What do you think?
well like 5kg said ripp does a lot of good vids on the standing press look at the training and resources forum on mab tons of vids in there on form.

yeah I would try seated press see if that helps with a more stable base.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #393
ndrwdslv
Max Brawn
Points: 3,978, Level: 40 Points: 3,978, Level: 40 Points: 3,978, Level: 40
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Lactose-free Milk
ndrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machine

Let's try to tackle some of the issues..

OHP - Stay standing, use your core/abs/glutes (whatever you want to call it) to keep you balanced, make sure you're tighttt. It's taking me 5-6 months now to reach 20.4kg a side on these.. it's slow progress, that why accessory work is important, develop your triceps, hand grip, lats to use as a shelf, etc..

Dips - Not a fan of bench dips, I used to them quite a lot, but I switched to better movements.. you said you did 5x5 and could have done more. I said to do 5 sets of 6-8 reps, finding a weight that will get you to only do 6 reps.. so try 30kg (or whatever next plate up is).

Barbell Rows vs Kroc Rows - If you can perform barbell rows with proper form and hit your back, that's awesome, do those. Also, as with the dips, go for 6-8 reps rather than simply 5x5.. lower the weight if you have too, these accessory exercises are to really stretch and "pump" the target muscles.. and eventually strengthen them by progressively increasing the weight.

Order of exercises - The reason I'ld have you do the big compounds as first/second are to go into them fresh and strong. I don't care if you can do bench dips with 50kg, I want you to do 80.. 90kg deadlifts, not 72.5kg. Deads/OHP, Squats/Bench in that order.. only reason I could see "pre-exhausting" yourself would be if you don't have enough weights to go up.. and even then, I'ld rather do more reps/sets than pre-exhaust. When you do those rows/dips.. you're exhausting muscles that are important in keeping good form on those big/heavy compound movements.

Schedule - Should be fine doing 1 off, 1 on.. just get enough sleep and eat a lot.. very important with a 5x5 with multiple compounds per session.. it'll fry your CNS otherwise.. may even want to throw a deload on the 4th week, depending on how progress goes.

Planning to switch things around for next session? (Squat/Bench/Push-ups/Curls)

Last edited by ndrwdslv; 07-01-2013 at 06:44 PM.
ndrwdslv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #394
Randoja
Powered by Purus
Max Brawn
Points: 7,378, Level: 57 Points: 7,378, Level: 57 Points: 7,378, Level: 57
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Exp: 12 years on and off.
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat/Bench/Dead
Fav Supp: Whole Milk
Randoja is a master memberRandoja is a master memberRandoja is a master memberRandoja is a master memberRandoja is a master memberRandoja is a master memberRandoja is a master memberRandoja is a master memberRandoja is a master memberRandoja is a master memberRandoja is a master member

Keep doing your OHP standing, good work, now keep it up.

Edit: I don't mean any offense here, but I would steer away from having other forum members coach you and lay out your routines for you, unless they have some legit training experience under their belt. Like I said before with all due respect, ndrwdslv has only been training for one year. I think it's crazy that you scoff at most of the advice from the big guys with 20 years in this game, but you will diligently follow and listen to another beginner without question. Just my .02, I'm primarily just happy that you haven't given up on training.
www.puruslabs.net
www.unbreakablegear.com <--Save 10% on apparel with coupon code MAB10!
Meet PR's:451/270/501 (181) 479/270/529 (198) Best Total: 1212@181 1278@198

Last edited by Randoja; 07-01-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Randoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #395
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrwdslv View Post
Let's try to tackle some of the issues..

OHP - Stay standing, use your core/abs/glutes (whatever you want to call it) to keep you balanced, make sure you're tighttt. It's taking me 5-6 months now to reach 20.4kg a side on these.. it's slow progress, that why accessory work is important, develop your triceps, hand grip, lats to use as a shelf, etc..

Dips - Not a fan of bench dips, I used to them quite a lot, but I switched to better movements.. you said you did 5x5 and could have done more. I said to do 5 sets of 6-8 reps, finding a weight that will get you to only do 6 reps.. so try 30kg (or whatever next plate up is).

Barbell Rows vs Kroc Rows - If you can perform barbell rows with proper form and hit your back, that's awesome, do those. Also, as with the dips, go for 6-8 reps rather than simply 5x5.. lower the weight if you have too, these accessory exercises are to really stretch and "pump" the target muscles.. and eventually strengthen them by progressively increasing the weight.

Order of exercises - The reason I'ld have you do the big compounds as first/second are to go into them fresh and strong. I don't care if you can do bench dips with 50kg, I want you to do 80.. 90kg deadlifts, not 72.5kg. Deads/OHP, Squats/Bench in that order.. only reason I could see "pre-exhausting" yourself would be if you don't have enough weights to go up.. and even then, I'ld rather do more reps/sets than pre-exhaust. When you do those rows/dips.. you're exhausting muscles that are important in keeping good form on those big/heavy compound movements.

Schedule - Should be fine doing 1 off, 1 on.. just get enough sleep and eat a lot.. very important with a 5x5 with multiple compounds per session.. it'll fry your CNS otherwise.. may even want to throw a deload on the 4th week, depending on how progress goes.

Planning to switch things around for next session? (Squat/Bench/Push-ups/Curls)

Thanks for the reply mate.

I've read through and I'll take all that on board for net time.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #396
ndrwdslv
Max Brawn
Points: 3,978, Level: 40 Points: 3,978, Level: 40 Points: 3,978, Level: 40
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Supp: Lactose-free Milk
ndrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randoja View Post

Edit: I don't mean any offense here, but I would steer away from having other forum members coach you and lay out your routines for you, unless they have some legit training experience under their belt. Like I said before with all due respect, ndrwdslv has only been training for one year. I think it's crazy that you scoff at most of the advice from the big guys with 20 years in this game, but you will diligently follow and listen to another beginner without question. Just my .02, I'm primarily just happy that you haven't given up on training.
No offense taken
ndrwdslv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #397
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Thanks man.

Quote:
I regard BtB as the most knowlegable lifter here. Hes taught me a hell of a lot and I respect him so much.

I've been PM'ing babs for ages too, and shes helped me out loads.
Not to mention all the other experienced guys I've been conversing with and asking questions for the last few months.

I don't know why you think I'm scoffing at what they say.

I was ready to give OffRoads plan a go but I kept doing it wrong, so he got frustrated and left.

A plans a plan. Its dawned on my recently that your all saying the same things.
This 5x5 routine isn't anyones "advice". Its simply what youv'e all been telling me.
Compound lifts, and progressive overload.
What ND's given me is a template, one that will work, and carries the principles youv'e all been talking about.

I'd be an idiot to disregard what all the experienced guys we're saying.

"just do the work and progress" I think we're your words. And thats what I intend to do
Old 07-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #398
skids
Max Brawn
Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Meat, Milk,
skids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beast

Nice work Linden, Just keep lifting, and lifting and lifting and eating and sleeping. Everything else will take care of its self. Hulk power to you.
skids is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:12 AM   #399
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randoja View Post

Of course, the negative points I'm doing get the most thumbs up, so obviously allot agree with you on that point.

When have I scoffed at the experienced guys? To those who thumbed it up for that reason, if you dont like what I'm doing then don't bother looking at my log...
Old 07-02-2013, 06:12 AM   #400
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Nice work Linden, Just keep lifting, and lifting and lifting and eating and sleeping. Everything else will take care of its self. Hulk power to you.

Thanks allot man, Really appreciate the support.