Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 05-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #221
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Training will make up about 80% of your progress while diet will make up the other 20%. You absolutely, positively, without a doubt, HAVE to learn to make progression on the BIG lifts your main priority. If you are not making progress, you are not building muscle, and all that extra weight you are gaining will go directly to fat storage which is the opposite of what you want. Try skipping the diet questions on the main forum and start asking some training questions on the main forum. Let's get those lifts moving.
Your right.

I'll do that now, I need to get this sorted.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #222
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Crap day today.

Felt ill all day, tried to do my workout but I wasn't really with it, ended up only getting a third of the way through, only did bench press. Felt really weak, and had to drop around 13 kg off the bar to finish my sets.

Problem is I still ate all the food as normal.

I feel like my workouts aren't efficient, and all the food is just going to the fat stores.

Everything seems to be going horribly wrong at the moment, its as if I'm doing more harm than good and actually making my physique worse rather than better.

I've more or less wasted the last 2 months I've been training because I've been doing things wrong.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #223
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Crap day today.

Felt ill all day, tried to do my workout but I wasn't really with it, ended up only getting a third of the way through, only did bench press. Felt really weak, and had to drop around 13 kg off the bar to finish my sets.

Problem is I still ate all the food as normal.

I feel like my workouts aren't efficient, and all the food is just going to the fat stores.

Everything seems to be going horribly wrong at the moment, its as if I'm doing more harm than good and actually making my physique worse rather than better.

I've more or less wasted the last 2 months I've been training because I've been doing things wrong.

From one post you put up, another thread, I think, you say your lifts have increased; so, you haven't wasted 2 months.

Today, you had a bad day, it happens. You already knew you felt ill, prior to your session, so it was understandable that your lifts were down but that's just one bad or lesser session and you can't base all your other sessions or even your progress on that because you were not really up to full speed on the day anyway.

Try not to get so caught up in the one bad session means that training is wrong etc; I guarantee that every member on this forum, without exception, has had a bad training session.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #224
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
From one post you put up, another thread, I think, you say your lifts have increased; so, you haven't wasted 2 months.

Today, you had a bad day, it happens. You already knew you felt ill, prior to your session, so it was understandable that your lifts were down but that's just one bad or lesser session and you can't base all your other sessions or even your progress on that because you were not really up to full speed on the day anyway.

Try not to get so caught up in the one bad session means that training is wrong etc; I guarantee that every member on this forum, without exception, has had a bad training session.

Its just I don't feel like I'm doing everything how I should be.

Its been on and off lately weather Iv'e progressed in my lifts, and even when I do progress, I feel my forms bad.
I'm also really conscious of the fact that I'm not doing any proper leg training because I can't do squats. Thats a massive part of my training thats missing, and I'm desperately trying to find the cheapest way that I can get squats in my routine as quickly as possible.

I just have that feeling that there's allot I'm doing wrong, and fixing its proving difficult.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #225
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Its just I don't feel like I'm doing everything how I should be.

Its been on and off lately weather Iv'e progressed in my lifts, and even when I do progress, I feel my forms bad.
I'm also really conscious of the fact that I'm not doing any proper leg training because I can't do squats. Thats a massive part of my training thats missing, and I'm desperately trying to find the cheapest way that I can get squats in my routine as quickly as possible.

I just have that feeling that there's allot I'm doing wrong, and fixing its proving difficult.

If you feel there are things to fix, you need to list what those things are and why you think they need fixing, otherwise you may end up assuming you have things to fix when in reality there's nothing to fix at all.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #226
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
If you feel there are things to fix, you need to list what those things are and why you think they need fixing, otherwise you may end up assuming you have things to fix when in reality there's nothing to fix at all.

Your right.

Know that I've listed everything, there's nothing really that important.
Nothing that can't be fixed very soon anyway.

I seem to just go back and forth worrying about nothing I guess.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #227
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Linden, here's the basic ideas of intensity cycling.

Normally what happens when a person starts weight training
is that there is an initial period of growth (can be rapid in some
cases) which gradually slows down to a point where you can't add
1-2lbs on your exercises each week. At this stage, your body (and
your mind) could use a short break from the brutal hard work. This
recovery period normally last 3 weeks or more. Of course, you
still use weights, but you use less weight and don't go to failure.
Gradually you build back up to your maximums from the last cycle.
And then you'll find (if you give yourself enough recovery weeks)
that you can now add a good bit of weight to the bar each week
(5lbs or more on the big basics, 2lbs or more on the smaller ones)
to reach new personal bests.

Drop your weights back a bit and start building back up SLOWLY. The easiest way to do that is to drop 15 lbs off your lifts and add 5 lbs back each week. In 3 weeks you will be back where you stalled but it should be easier and you will hit your reps. You should also be able to go beyond where you stalled in the first place. You will not lose size and strength on the lighter weight, in fact you will actually get stronger and probably grow a little.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #228
Off Road
Max Brawn

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Lee made a very good post in your main forum thread. He said to check the ego and start light, even with just an empty bar. I think that an empty bar may even be too heavy for some lifts.

The big take-home message is that you can't keep banging your head against walls, and you can't keep adjusting the weights up and down to try and find that perfect weight for the day. It has to be more weight or more reps every time you workout.

I'll give you an example of my son's progression. He could only shoulder press the 45 lb bar for 1 hard rep. If we had him using the bar every workout he'd still be doing 1 or 2 hard reps. Instead we started him off by doing push-ups which still work the pressing muscles. When he was able to do 30 good, full-range push-ups, we started him shoulder pressing a lighter 15 lb bar. We just kept adding a couple of lbs to the bar every week until he was using 45 lbs total. Then we moved on to the 45 lb bar and started adding weight to that each week. Now he's pressing the total of 65 lbs for reps. So, so, so many people say to START LIGHT, yet so few people actually do it. The ones that listen are the ones that can keep progression going for a long, long, long time. And by the way, my son is only 12 years old. If he can do it, so can you. Just be as smart as a 12 year old
Old 05-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #229
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Ok, thanks OffRoad, I'll do what you said.
I'm going to keep bench press how it is though because that one of the only lifts I'm doing well with.
What you said makes sense too, because I started light with bench press and worked my way up. Now bench is my strongest lift and I haven't stalled.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #230
Off Road
Max Brawn

Cool. Rock 'n Roll.