leefarley
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

good work,

how do find getting heavy DB in place for pressing ?
Old 04-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #72
hardlymovin2003
Brawn
Points: 1,801, Level: 25 Points: 1,801, Level: 25 Points: 1,801, Level: 25
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Whey
hardlymovin2003 is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarley View Post
good work,

how do find getting heavy DB in place for pressing ?
Thanks..I have these things called country power hooks that can hang from your bench setup. So alls you have to do is lay down on bench press and just lift the hook off the "bench rack". You can look them up, I find them very useful specially since I use olympic weights for my dumbbells. It is very difficult to balance in my opinion with the bigger weights. The only problem with the hooks and my bench setup is the hooks hang too low for incline bench and for shoulder press. Otherwise I would be doing dumbbell shoulder press and incline bench press as well as flat dumbbell bench. The olympic weights though make it way too difficult to try and kick them into place so I find it not worth it with the equipment I have to do those lifts. But the power hooks are just amazing for flat bench and they can work great with the right setup for any lift of course.
hardlymovin2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #73
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Nice work on those DB presses. Really like that movement.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #74
hardlymovin2003
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Nice work on those DB presses. Really like that movement.
Thanks a lot. I'm growing to like them. Still love my dips though!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #75
hardlymovin2003
Brawn

Friday, April, 26th...

Powertec Machine Squats 3x6 (+5lbs)
Warm Up- 90x10
290x6, 290x6, 290x6

I felt so strong on these today I probably could have added 10lbs but wanted to just keep the progress on these slow and steady. With the original routine template they have you doing 2-3 sets of 5 reps on squats followed up with 1 set of 10 reps. I decided that I'm going to just keep it the same as my previous full body routine at 3x6. Really felt them in my quads today also.

Barbell Rows 4x6 (+2.5lbs, +1rep)
170x6, 170x6, 170x6, 170x7

I felt very much in control with this weight today and I could feel the pulling in my back with each rep. When I got to the last set I had a little extra left in me so I added another rep.

Powertec Machine Standing Hamstring Curls 3x8
30x8/8, 30x8/8, 30x8/8

I wasn't sure how much weight to start with here so I had 40lbs on there at first and I did a rep and realized it was probably a bit too heavy so I reduced it down to 30lbs. I REALLY felt these in my hamstrings on each set it was actually pretty brutal to be honest lol. Felt very good though.

E-Z Barbell Bicep Curls 2x10 (+2reps)
90x10, 90x8

I added 2 reps from when I previously did this movement. However, on the last set I wasn't able to get 10 reps since this routine has you doing 10 reps for 2 sets instead of 8 reps for 2 sets. Either way I felt in control with this movement and my biceps were hit pretty well with just these two sets. On the last set I probably could have pushed out one last rep to failure but I didn't feel it was worth it to be honest.

Overall:

I was supposed to workout yesterday but I was exhausted again from school. I only have about 3 weeks left and if all goes well I graduate in May. So I'm really focusing hard on school and didn't have it in me yesterday to workout. I was just going to skip today as well and just start the rotation again on Sunday but I was feeling good today after bowling and felt I had good energy so I gave it a go. Glad I did because I feel I had a great workout. I'll most likely be back on Sunday to hit my upper pressing movements. Have a great/safe weekend everyone!

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:54 AM   #76
leefarley
Max Brawn

leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

strong work

what is like squatting on a machine compard to a barbell squat
Old 04-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #77
hardlymovin2003
Brawn

Quote:
strong work

what is like squatting on a machine compard to a barbell squat
Thanks!

For me when I do barbell squats my flexibility for some reason was terrible so I always had to do some type of work because my ass would always do that little winch when you squat all the way down causing my back to round very slighty. I just felt like my form was always off even if it wasn't. I video taped myself and did so much flexibility work and it still didn't feel right. To top it off I didn't have a squat rack so it was unsafe. However, when I barbell squatted you use a lot more muscles because of the required stabilization. For me it was hard to really feel it in my quads but I'd feel it in my hams and ass. There's nothing wrong with that though. And easy fix would be just to mess around with feet placement but I bought this machine after being frustrated with squats. I only lift for myself and I'm not competing so at the end of the day it really doesn't matter how I wok my legs. With this powertec machine since that's the only machine I've ever used you can really feel it in your quads or depending on your feet placement your hams and ass. You don't have to worry about stabilization nearly as much and you can really target your specific muscle group I feel a lot better. People on the Internet will tell you that you have to do barbell work which maybe true for someone who has never lifted anything in their life but when it comes down to it a machine, barbell, or whatever is just a tool. There are many ways to work a muscle.

So to sum it up barbell worked a lot of other muscles because of the stabilization. To what extent I don't know but targeting your quads or hamstrings feels a lot more easier on a machine because you don't have to worry about balancing a barbell on your back. I'd probably say free weight squats are obviously better but exactly how much more muscle they will build may be marginal if I had to guess. When using a machine you're still working your muscles. You can safely do drop sets or forced reps with machines rather than free weights as well. If you compete in powerlifting or play sports than free weights are going to have more advantages than machines. If you're just working out for yourself or want to get bigger legs I don't think it matters as long as you're hitting each muscle group.

Just my opinion on it. Sorry if it's long lol.

Last edited by hardlymovin2003; 04-27-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #78
leefarley
Max Brawn

i'm the same with squats rarely feel it in the quads...maybe im doing them wrong, how ever i have been thinking of useing machines to hit more of my quads maybe it will help with more quad strength.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #79
hardlymovin2003
Brawn

Quote:
i'm the same with squats rarely feel it in the quads...maybe im doing them wrong, how ever i have been thinking of useing machines to hit more of my quads maybe it will help with more quad strength.
If you move your feet closer to together that seemed to help me really feel the quads in the barbell squat. If you don't powerlift or play sports then I really wouldn't say it matters how you work your legs. Even if you do play sports or powerlift I'd still use machines because it's another tool to target your muscles. I'd give them a try and see how you like them. Also if you're having trouble with your form I'd try to video tape yourself and see where your weak point in your form may be or if you workout at a gym ask someone that knows form well. Those that are tall often have problems with form as well. I'm not very tall though only about 5"8-5"9. Either way I'd give machines a go you can definitely benefit from them regardless of your goals in my opinion.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #80
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Good progress.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote