Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 03-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #31
Soc
Brawn
Points: 845, Level: 15 Points: 845, Level: 15 Points: 845, Level: 15
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Soc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishHitman View Post
Good looking lifts, brother. On the subject of competing, from what I've gathered, it's never too early and having that deadline is going to take your lifting to a whole other level. Set yourself a date and go for it!
I didnt start lifting with the aim of competing, just to get big and strong. When i feel like i've reached a decent point i'll start doing meets. But entering now with a sub bw squat and a deadlift barely over bw seems like a waste of time.

Its not like i dont have something to aim for. I've set myself training goals and am working on them the same as i would if i were due to compete.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...k-forever.html
Soc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #32
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

I agree you should wait to compete until you feel comfortable, but don't assume 3/4/5 is the minimum you need. Not many people reach those numbers for years if they ever reach them. Lots of us competed with much lower numbers than that.

Competing is like this site, you meet like minded individuals and share ideas, get support, etc. You might find a training partner, new friend, anything can happen. Besides, it's about beating yourself in the end.

Just pointing that out. Not trying to tell you to do anything as your opinion is what counts obviously. Nothing wrong with just wanting to get big and strong and never compete.

Great work lately. Keep crushing.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:53 AM   #33
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soc View Post
No plans as of yet, but if/when i reach maybe 3/4/5 plates on the lifts i'll consider putting my name down. Until then i'll just continue trying to get stronger and hope to stay injury free..thats the biggest thing.
Getting stronger and bigger is definitely the most important thing …
achieving that 4/3/5 pps goal is well within your grasp , just give it time and consistent effort.
MAB will help you get there – its helped me out immensely on my journey so far – almost there with that 4/3/5 pps

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishHitman View Post
Good looking lifts, brother. On the subject of competing, from what I've gathered, it's never too early and having that deadline is going to take your lifting to a whole other level. Set yourself a date and go for it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soc View Post
I didnt start lifting with the aim of competing, just to get big and strong. When i feel like i've reached a decent point i'll start doing meets. But entering now with a sub bw squat and a deadlift barely over bw seems like a waste of time.

Its not like i dont have something to aim for. I've set myself training goals and am working on them the same as i would if i were due to compete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I agree you should wait to compete until you feel comfortable, but don't assume 3/4/5 is the minimum you need. Not many people reach those numbers for years if they ever reach them. Lots of us competed with much lower numbers than that.

Competing is like this site, you meet like minded individuals and share ideas, get support, etc. You might find a training partner, new friend, anything can happen. Besides, it's about beating yourself in the end.

Just pointing that out. Not trying to tell you to do anything as your opinion is what counts obviously. Nothing wrong with just wanting to get big and strong and never compete.

Great work lately. Keep crushing.
Shit sorry SOC , didn’t mean to turn your log into a debate on when to enter your first meet , some solid points made by Mike and Irish above , but you will know when you feel right. Till then , like you said , keep getting stronger. Ill be following your log and helping if I can.

As and aside….
The reason I asked is because there aren’t many Irish guys on here, and as I train alone I thought it would be pretty cool to set up a MuscleandBrawn (Ireland) Team that could compete together in the IDFPA , I know there are a few fellas that compete and train alone and it would be a good way to help each other out etc (ill try talk to a few at the meet tomorrow and see what they think)….its just a rough idea im throwing out there at its earliest stages ..

Anyways , enough of my rambling – smash on and hit some PRs!

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #34
Soc
Brawn

Soc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good postsSoc has made some very good posts

Ok so maybe 4/3/5 is a little over ambitious before competing, but at my height i'd like my eventual bodyweight to be pretty high aswell and going in with a below bw squat and bench seems like a bit pointless. I know not everyone competes to win, but i wouldnt want to finish dead last because i entered just for the sake of it.

Lets make it a more conservative 1000lb minimum. So maybe 2 years before considering entering a meet.

Markievicz, that MaB team does sound interesting to be fair, but again..i wouldnt be of much use with a 250kg total. So when the time comes you'll be the first to know.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #35
Soc
Brawn

Back squat: 60kg 6x3 (video below is the 6th set)
Close Grip Bench: 70kgx2 PB, 55kg 3x8
Barbell Row: 65kg 5x5 PB
Fat grip Press: 37.5kg 3x6

Did all paused bench up to 60kg before just doing touch and go for the top set. Ugly second rep, dont know what went wrong but i nearly lost it. My low back felt pretty weak all day, even more so right after squats and during the rows. Finished the workout with 3x20 knee raises, 2x16 back extensions and 2x15-20 on curls and pressdowns.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:39 PM   #36
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Strong work. Keep destroying the iron.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #37
Soc
Brawn

Back squat: 62.5kg 53, 40kg x10

Close grip Bench: 65kg x5 PB, 57.5kg 7.6,5

Deadlift: 80, 90, 100kg x3

For the sake of my knee, i'll continue with low rep sets on squats. Kept the deadlift light because i plan on pulling a 130kg PB on friday. I'll post the videos tomorrow when i have uploaded and edited them down.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #38
Soc
Brawn

Last set of squats:

Close Grip bench:

Light, strapless DLs:

Altho i knew i didnt have a strong grip, because i used hook grip i never thought it was a weak link, but the difference between straps and no straps feels huge.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #39
Soc
Brawn

Squat: 65kg 33

Paused Bench: 60kg 2,2,2,2,3

BB row: 67.5kg 25

Inverted row: 100 reps ~9 sets

Pullaparts: 415

Hammer curl: 510

Pressdowns 320

Take note of my right knee on the 3rd rep above. Thats the only thing i can see that would cause my knee pain for today. Pretty much wrecked the whole session because i couldnt use leg drive on bench and rowing. So i just decided to do some upper back and arm rep work.

Bought a pair of Tommy Kono knee sleeves, hopefully they will help me out. I'll wear them next time i squat...and stretch more.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #40
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Looking good SOC. Keep grinding those workouts out.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote