Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondsOut View Post
Air Assault sounds intense but awesome. i'm sure you'll cut a lot more than 1:00 off that run time easily.

damn, strong squats after that run today, bro. i know you must've been psyched. i'm curious to see how the full-body/maximum # of lifting days works out for you. sounds pretty decent.
It is intense, but it's all done right here where I'm already stationed, so I don't have to travel and I'll still get to sleep in my bed every night. It'll be a huge challenge, which is why I want to give it a go and see if I can pull it off.

Not to mention, repeling out of a freaking helicopter. How many times do you get a chance like THAT?
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Nice PR Solider. Huge work this month.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #13
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Thanks btb. I'm very happy with how things are going so far.

Bodyweight today after work was 229, below 230 for the first time in a few weeks now. I ate 800 calories and 10g of carbs during breakfast and lunch, then came home and trained, after which I ate 850 calories and 97g of carbs.

Training was not intense. I just did enough to jusitify the carbs and keep some weight in my hands. I'm also trying to put lots of effort into my situps, hopping down to the floor every now and then for another set. I've used greasing the groove in the past with pushups with awesome success, so I need to bear down and keep pounding the situps as often as possible.

Here's the training I did-

Deadlift-
135x5
225x5
295x3
345x3
395x3

Pullups-
5 sets of BWx5-10

After watching my video the other day of myself deadlifting, I made sure to focus on getting my butt down a bit more and retracting my scapula before beginning the pull. It felt solid, but I'm just exhausted tonight so I couldn't go too super heavy.

I liked the programming though. Yesterday I did squats and bench, then today I did deads and pullups. It feels very good, sort of like a push/pull full body split. Tomorrow I don't have to report to work until 9, because I had to stay late today, so I'm going to sleep in a little, then tomorrow after I get off I'll be doing some sort of cardio.

So far the diet is going extremely well. I get hungry during the day, but I'm busy so it's no big deal. Then, after training, I get to eat plenty of food including carbs, so the evenings aren't hard to deal with, and I'm really not hungry at all.

The key to dieting and cutting fat is to eat at home, and only eat food you have to prepare. It's as simple as that. Don't eat out, and don't eat anything you have to open a package to get to. If people did that and drank primarily water, then they would be shocked at how easily they could lose weight and feel better.

Right now I've eaten less than 1700 calories for the day, so I'm gonna go eat some more food!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #14
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

nice quality/quantity of detail in your log, bro. looks like you're goin in hard on this new routine. strong deadlifts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
hopping down to the floor every now and then for another set. I've used greasing the groove in the past with pushups with awesome success, so I need to bear down and keep pounding the situps as often as possible.
haha aww man it's so great to be on a forum where guys just know "grease the groove" and understand the concept. i've also done it on pushups and on pullups. with the latter, i had lots of success vs. only doing pullups at the gym.

Quote:
The key to dieting and cutting fat is to eat at home, and only eat food you have to prepare. It's as simple as that. Don't eat out, and don't eat anything you have to open a package to get to. If people did that and drank primarily water, then they would be shocked at how easily they could lose weight and feel better.
it's also way cheaper! congrats on that weight loss, too. imo, it only takes that 1st pound to know you're on the right track.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #15
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondsOut View Post
nice quality/quantity of detail in your log, bro. looks like you're goin in hard on this new routine. strong deadlifts!

haha aww man it's so great to be on a forum where guys just know "grease the groove" and understand the concept. i've also done it on pushups and on pullups. with the latter, i had lots of success vs. only doing pullups at the gym.

it's also way cheaper! congrats on that weight loss, too. imo, it only takes that 1st pound to know you're on the right track.
Thanks man. Yeah, most of the people who read logs here know their stuff, or have enough of an interest to look things up. Greasing the groove took my pushups from 60 to 78 in the Army fitness test I just took.

As far as cutting, if you look in the "body transformation" thread you'll see that I have quite a bit of experience in that area.

Last edited by Soldier; 02-14-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #16
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
So far the diet is going extremely well. I get hungry during the day, but I'm busy so it's no big deal. Then, after training, I get to eat plenty of food including carbs, so the evenings aren't hard to deal with, and I'm really not hungry at all.
Good to hear it. That's really the key for me...managing things properly to fit my day.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #17
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Good to hear it. That's really the key for me...managing things properly to fit my day.
Exactly. I can't go to sleep hungry. That just won't work for me, which is why both intermittent fasting and carb backloading work so well for me.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #18
Soldier
Max Brawn

Just went for a run in my IBA (Army issue body armor vest). It weighs like 20lb, so training with it on is pretty intense. God I hate running. So much. I could go push around some heavy stuff and actually get stronger, but instead I have to go do something that I know is going to take my strength away if I don't do everything I can to keep it.

But I've learned something over the years. If you try to cheat the system by doing training that you like doing to get better at something you don't like doing, then you won't get any better. I can go do sprints and sled pulls for cardio, and it'll make me better at sprinting and pulling a sled, but it won't really make me much better at running. SOOOO, run I must, and run I will.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:55 PM   #19
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I am so over running. I liked it for about a decade. That was my limit.

Keep up the great work.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #20
Soldier
Max Brawn

Will do.

Diet continues to go well. Since I didn't lift yesterday, I didn't get to really eat carbs. I did, however, get a quick burst of carbs early afternoon via some homemade cookies and milk. I had to finish them to get them out of the house, but I still enjoyed them too. I knew I would still be within my calories, so I don't worry about feeling guilty about things like that. Other than that it was low carb all day, with lots of baked chicken breast and cheese to keep me happy through the later afternoon and evening.

I always try to use things to my advantage. Some would think that if you're going to splurge on cookies, it's better to spread them throughout the day. NOPE. With low carb dieting, if you're going to take in any carbs it's best to do it all at once. Get your big spike of insulin and move on with your day. And for god sakes, don't feel guilty about it! People always let guilt get the best of them with dieting. If you make mostly good decisions, you'll get results.

And, like I said, I stayed in my calories, which is the most important part.