Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 02-19-2013, 01:15 AM   #41
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Speedys looked smooth and easy.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #42
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Speedys looked smooth and easy.
They felt great. Working with chains is definitely different. I've found that all of a sudden I truly understand dynamic speed work. Pushing through the whole movement, and engaging every muscle possible to do it.

Today I tried Bench with chains. Again, it was a learning experience. I trained late, so no video today, but I'll list what I did.

Speed paused bench-
bar x5
135+50x3
225+50x1 (Mistake! too heavy to quick.)
185+50x3
185+50x3
185+50x5
185+50x5

Close grip triceps press (just off the smooth)-
135+50x8
135+50x8
135+50x8 (added fat gripz for this set.)

It took me a while to get the chains set up right for each lift, but when I do it's magical. Halfway down I feel the hanging plates hit the ground and the weight gets light. Light enough that I feel like I can throw the bar through the roof, and damned if I don't try to. On the bench I focussed on feeling like my whole body was pushing the bar, from my traps down to my feet. I treated the bar as if it was trying to crush me and I had to use every ounce of muscle I had to push it off me as hard as possible. I've never felt that before, believe it or not!

Notice that I didn't write close grip bench press. Nope, this was a triceps press. I started like a close grip bench, then once I got near the bottom and the chains hit the ground instead of bringing the bar straight down, I bent my arms and brought the bar back towards my head over so slightly. Then I started the lift my engaging my triceps and starting to extend my arms. Only after my triceps were engaged did I start to push with my chest as well.

I'll try to get a video of the triceps press next time I do it. It's hard to explain, but it absolutely nailed my triceps.

I wish I could do MOAR!!! Alas, my training for the moment can only be for maintenance. I can't wait to finish my cut, get my weight down, then start to get STRONGER again. 315 paused bench, 405 squat, 600 deadlift. They'll all be mine soon.

I've talked to my wife about competing. She wants to do it, and I think it will motivate her even more to know that I want to do it too. After a couple years we'll be able to take my daughter and go have a blast competing as a family.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #43
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
I wish I could do MOAR!!!
You're doing great. Moar is on the way.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #44
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast
Thumbs up

that post is full of win. looks like you'll be getting a lot out of those chains.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #45
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Solid press session!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #46
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate you all checking out what I'm doing.

I'm like a kid with a new toy, with these chains! More experimenting tonight, and more revelations. One of my very favorite shoulder movements is the BTN overhead press. NOTHING pumps up the middle head of my delts like these guys. It's like shoving boulders in where my shoulders once were. Unfortunately, I can't load them like I want to because of my bad shoulders.

Chains to the rescue! I can load the top end of the movement as much as I want, while taking the strain off my shoulders at the bottom, all while getting full ROM! After getting the chains set up just right, It was off the the races.

BTN overhead press, pointers on the rings-
Barx8
Bar+50x8
Bar+50x8
Bar+50x8

Spotted wide-grip pullups-
BWx10
BWx8
BWx7

BTN overhead press-
Bar+50x10
65+50x9
65+50x7

Spotted pullups, opposing close grip-
BWx12
BWx10
BWx9

Curls-
45lb plate held in both arms x 15
45lb plate held in both arms x 13

When I write these pump workouts out they always seem so pathetic in retrospect, but damn, at the time I sure do feel them! Pump in my shoulders was so huge that the pullups actually got them going again. And who doesn't want to get in at least a couple sets of curls, for the ladies?

This was a good little session, just to get the blood pumping and make sure I don't lose too much size up top from this cut.

Speaking of my cut, it's going swimmingly if I do say so myself. This morning I was down to 226.6, from a high of 238 during my Sdrol cycle. I've been getting in some good cardio to help get my run down, but I still feel good and strong with a bar in my hands. All in all, I feel great about my training right now. In the lext few weeks I should be in the low 220's.

As for that cycle I mentioned, I'm in week 3 of PCT now and it's going great. NO side effects, libido is good, no testicular shrinkage at any point, and I feel healthy as a horse!

I'm excited beyond belief about getting my new stuff in the next few days. If my new bar, slingshot, and knee wraps help half as much as the chains have helped, I'll consider it all a huge success. BIG numbers in the future, all at a very low bodyweight! At one point in the next few years, I WILL have a triple bodyweight deadlift, and you can take that to the bank.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:14 AM   #47
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Nonstop winning.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #48
Soldier
Max Brawn

Winning indeed.

My new toys are HERE!!!! So I pulled my new bar from it's packaging, unwrapped my knee wraps and got to work. Unfortuantely, my camera messed up and for some reason the videos I took didn't get stored on the SD card, so no video tonight.

Tonight is an exciting night, for a few reasons. I've decided to commit myself to powerlifting. I've been moved at work to a different area, a different platoon. I'm going to be working in the office, doing administrative work while the majority of our company goes over to afghanistan for a deployment. I've taken this transition as a sign, and decided to no longer persue Air assault, or worry that much about my running. I'll keep myself in good enough shape to pass the PT test with no worries, but I'm going to focus almost all of my training time on getting stronger.

I'm still going to cut, but not as vigorously. I'll wait and get my cut on during my next cycle. That means it's time. Time to commit myself to the iron. Time to see what I can get my body to do.

Squats-
barx5
135x5
225x12
275x3

Wraps on-
315x3
345x3 PR

Barbell calf presses-
345x15
345x17
345x20

Squats-
225x12

Pizza-
1 whole pizza and 1 extra slice so far.

Yup, I'm getting my carb on tonight to celebrate my newfound commitment to powerlifting.

My new bar, the Roque fitness economy bar, is frekin' AWESOME. If this is the economy version, I can't imagine how good the power bars feel. The knurling is finer but also more agressive than I'm used to. I'm going to be able to pull a freaking bus with this bar. The ribs on the sleeves are awesome and grab the collars well, and the sleeves spin very well.

I also got to try my new Roque knee wraps. I used knee wraps, back when I was in high school. Today was my first time since, and it's going to take some getting used to, but I'll get the hang of it after a few more sessions. I don't have knee pain, and didn't really find that I could lift any more weight with them on, but they also felt awkward which could have negated any positive impact they may have had on how much I could lift. I'll keep messing with them and we'll see what happens.

When I was watching one of the videos back (during the session) I noticed just how pathetic my calves look. I wasn't training them because I didn't want to hinder my running ability, but now I don't care about that, so I'm going to start training them and stop making excuses.

Tomorrow should be Bench day, which is awesome because it means I get to start breaking in my slingshot!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #49
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

full-time job: powerlifter
hobby: Army stuff

SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #50
Soldier
Max Brawn

Haha, funny you should say that. The other day our Sgt. was holding us late at work. He could tell I was annoyed, so when he looked at me I said, longingly, "I just wanna go home and lift weights."

He said "That's really all you look forward to, huh?"

"Yup."