Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 03-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #101
Soldier
Max Brawn

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

So I'm flaky, what can I say!?!? I haven't been able to stick with any semblance of a cut because I don't want to lose strength. I admit it. So I'm going with it. I want to get stronger. I also have to accept that even if I did get thinner and get some abs, I couldn't maintain it.

I'm not going to worry about gaining size. Just strength, pure and simple. I've never been good at sticking to a program, but I came up with a good ol' fashioned power routine. I'll be doing 4 sessions a week, 2 speed and 2 max strength. After I do my main lift I'll be doing 3 accesory lifts, and for now I'm going to do the same accesory lifts for every upper body day and for every lower body day.

I did upper body speed today, and it went extremely well.

Speed paused bench with chains (The + indicates chain weight)-
Goal- 10x2 with 60% (estimated 1rm w/ pause=275lb)
45x5
135x5
185x3
225x2
165+40x2x10

Landmine rows with handles-
25x12
50x10
100x8x5

Mid grip TnG bench with slingshot-
225x8x5

Mid grip spotted pullups-
BWx8x5

As you can see, all accesory work was done with 5 sets of 8. Standard size/strength protocols, and my exercise selection was, I believe, just about perfect. I haven't done mid grip benches with the slingshot, and I finally got the full effect. The lift was insanely easy at the bottom, then about 60% up it got much harder. The last few inches my triceps were giving everything they had at the end of all 5 sets.

It was good to do some speed bench. I got to work on my form and the chains allowed me to press as hard and fast as possible all the way to lockout.

I'll be continuing to use these 3 accesory movements during every upper body day for now.

Thursday will be lower body max strength. On my max strength days I'll be doing my main lift with 1 of 3 different combinations of intensity and volume;

1. 10 total reps with 90%+
2. 20 total reps with 80%+
3. Yup, you guessed it, 30 total reps with 70%+

So Thursday I'll be doing squats for workout 1, which will mean my goal is to get 10 total reps with 340lb.

These workouts always seem simple until you try to explain them on paper, lol.

Time to get strong. Hey, maybe I'll stick with this plan for more than 2 weeks! Probably not.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #102
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
So I'm flaky, what can I say!?!?
Time to get strong. Hey, maybe I'll stick with this plan for more than 2 weeks! Probably not.
I usually stick to a plan for one day,

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #103
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

The wife had a revelation tonight. She FINALLY tried a super wide grip like I've been telling her to try for months, and it made a huge difference, just like I thought it would. Her current all-time PR for bench is 95. Today she did that like it was nothing, and would have done more if her form had stuck. Her form has lots of issues in all three lifts. I know what she needs to do, but holy crap, she fights me every step of the way. It's like working with a teenager.

She starts her bench with the bar over her neck, and once she went heavy it came straight down. We're working on getting her back tight and creating more tightness in her armpits to bring the bar to her lower chest. She'll get it.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #104
SecondsOut
Max Brawn

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

i don't think it's flaky at all. wasn't 1 of the major motivating factors in shifting to a cut the Air Assault test? then some unforeseen stuff came up, and your priorities changed. actually, i think you probably felt like stopping the cut after you decided to not go for Air Assault, but you've been holding to it because you wanted to stay consistent and not constantly switch goals.
so yeah, i think you're the opposite of flaky, and i'm glad you're going for strength now. big fan of this log.
awesome bench day, btw. when the slingshot comes out, carnage ensues
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #105
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondsOut View Post
i don't think it's flaky at all. wasn't 1 of the major motivating factors in shifting to a cut the Air Assault test? then some unforeseen stuff came up, and your priorities changed. actually, i think you probably felt like stopping the cut after you decided to not go for Air Assault, but you've been holding to it because you wanted to stay consistent and not constantly switch goals.
so yeah, i think you're the opposite of flaky, and i'm glad you're going for strength now. big fan of this log.
awesome bench day, btw. when the slingshot comes out, carnage ensues
Dude, you're creeping me out. Are you that guy in the car always driving by the front of my house? You know more about my training than I do!

I'm still going to cut, because I'm a little too fat (The Army keeps track of that stuff, and I'm right on the edge), and I'd also like to compete in a lower weight class if I actually do get into a powerlifting meet. I'm going to get below 220 (I'm 228 right now), then reevaluate.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #106
Soldier
Max Brawn

I'm going to be starting my next PH cycle, a stack of Pro-tren and Hdrol, this weekend. I'm going to run it for around 6 weeks. The goal will be to cut 10lb, and if the 10lb comes easy, possibly cut some more. If I can get stronger while I do it, then awesome. If I can only maintain, then that's fine too.

Lower body strength tomorrow. It's not going to be easy, which is good.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #107
Soldier
Max Brawn

Today is the first day of what will be the most productive 6-7 weeks of my training life. I said I'd start my cycle this weekend, and today is the beginning of my weekend (every now and then the Army is pretty ok to work for. We get 4 day weekends almost every month.). Today I'm going to start taking 100mg of Pro-tren and 75mg of Hdrol a day. I only have a few weeks worth of Hdrol, so when I run out I'm going to switch to the rest of my Sdrol from my last cycle. Hopefully by then I'll have cut down to my goal weight, and I can use the Sdrol+tren stack to get my lifts up.

I just finished probably the most intense session I've done in my home gym. I hit almost all of my goals, and I feel great about it. This program, it's going to be good.

Another change for the day is that I trained in my underarmour compression pants. I never even thought about training in them until I read a powerlifter talk about putting them on before a leg session.

Squats-
Goal- 10 total reps with 90%+
45x5
135x5
185x4
225x3
275x2
315x2
340x2
340x2
340x2
340x2
340x2
10 total reps with 340, goal achieved.

Wide stance good mornings-
225x8x5, goal achieved.

Incline ATG squats-
185x8
185x8
155x8
155x8
155x8
Goal not achieved, 185 was too much. Goal for next time lowered to 165.

Seated box jumps-
BWx2x5

I thought I'd never get through the GM's with 225. I barely got my 10 reps, and I was really exhausted from then all the way to the end. The GM's got a huge stretch out of my glutes.

I could have pulled off 185 for the incline squats, if it was my first movement, but my legs were pretty shot by the time I got to them, and my heart rate was also elevated.

The jumps were done from a seated position. I didn't jump onto anything, I just jumped as explosivley as possible from the ground.

Saturday will be Upper body power. I'll be doing workout 2, 20 total reps at 80%, for bench. That will be 20 total paused reps with 225.

Next leg power session, next Thursday, will be workout 2 with deadlifts, which will be 20 total reps with 405.

Last edited by Soldier; 03-14-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #108
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Crazy stuff going on! Pretty cool you got the missus lifting.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #109
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post
Crazy stuff going on! Pretty cool you got the missus lifting.
She's determined to compete in powerlifting. She's naturally strong, which is great, but she's impatient. It'll be at least a couple years before she's ready for serious meets, but she's got a TON of potential.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #110
Soldier
Max Brawn

Ok, so over the years I've learned a ton about nutrition. I've never, however, decided to apply everything. Just not enough willpower or patience. BUT, now that I'm chemicaly enhanced, it's time. I'm going to write out my diet plans for this cycle here, because if I write it out I'll be more likely to follow it, lol.

I'll be both calorie and carb cycling, in a pretty extreme manner. I'm going to be eating 4k calories on my 2 leg training days, Thursday and Saturday. I'll also be loading up on carbs, atleast 400g. Today I had Five guys AND a pepperoni pizza from Little Caesar's for a total of just over 4K. The rest of the days of the week I'll be eating 2k calories or less. I'll be pushing it low on these days, since there's no fear of BMR issues with my 2 high-calorie days every week. Also, on my non-training days (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday), I'll be going super low-carb. 30g or less on these days.

I've got burgers thawed for tomorrow's low carb, non-training day. If I plan things out right it won't be a big deal to eat less than 2k cals, and if I did my math right I could lose a good amount of fat in just a few weeks.

Also, a change in my training plans. Saturday was going to just be lower body speed day, but I think that's not going to give me everything I need. I'm going to make Thursday my squat ME day, then Saturday is going to be both squat DE day AND deadlift ME day. These days are going to be intense, but I'm going to get the calories and carbs on those days to get it done.

It's time to put my knowledge to work. I'm not going for abs here, just 10lb to get me down into the 220 class. After that, it's time to get stronger than ever. Time to destroy.