Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 05-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #221
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast
Default Monday, 5/7

Incline Bench
12 x bar
6 x 115
3 x 135

4 x 9 x (155/155/145/145)

Squat
10 x bar
8 x 135
4 x 225

4 x 9 x (215/215/205/205)

I arrived at the gym 45 mins. before closing, so I had to hurry. I usually do more warmup sets, and I didn't get as much rest as I would've liked. Added 10 lbs. to the first two sets of both exercises, although I had to drop back to last week's weights for the last two sets of both.
Felt pretty strong on inclines. Felt weak on squats. I think this is because I did deadlifts yesterday. I don't like doing squat and deadlift on consecutive days. I originally was going to rest today, but I got a bit restless and decided to lift. I'll rest tomorrow.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #222
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

How many days do you normally keep between squats and deads?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #223
SecondsOut
Max Brawn

SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

Lately, I'll put a rest day after the day I train deadlift. The max number of days between deadlift and squat is 2. Usually it works out that I only deadlift once a week. I don't think I've had a week when I've deadlifted twice, but I do squat 2-3 times a week.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #224
SecondsOut
Max Brawn

Default Friday, 5/10

Bench
15 x bar
8 x 135
4 x 180
2 x 205

3 x 8 x 170

Front Squat
10 x bar
8 x 135
4 x 185
2 x 225

3 x 8 x 200

Felt weak during the warmups, so I decreased weight from last week. I'm disappointed because I actually wanted to add 10 lbs. from last week, not drop 10 lbs. Based on the kind of week I had, though, it makes sense that I'd lose some strength.
Bench felt moderate, but the last 3 reps on the last 2 sets of front squat were a grind. If you saw me tonight, you wouldn't have believed that I did 3 x 8 x 210 last week with relative ease.
Guess some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #225
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Bring the pain! Then the gains. And some cheese curds.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #226
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Getting bigger.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #227
SecondsOut
Max Brawn

Default Saturday, 5/11

Thanks guys

Deadlift
8 x 135
4 x 225
2 x 315

3 x 7 x 300

Press
10 x bar
6 x 90
3 x 115
2 x 135

3 x 7 x 105

Again, weaker than the last deadlift-press workout, but this isn't unexpected. My schedule is freer now than the past few weeks, so I'd like to add some GPP to my routine. I need to find a new location, though, because the abandoned field where I was doing it before is now fenced off.

Mighty Sled looks lonely in the back of my car.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #228
SecondsOut
Max Brawn

Default Tuesday, 5/14

I'll post yesterday's workout in a bit. I have a few videos to edit, so it's slowin me down. I'm visiting my family, so yesterday I lifted with Ugo in Philly. Ugo's got a dinosaur training home gym with lots of neat things to work with. Check it out:

Power Rack: it's a 20-lb. bar. Everything's sturdy. Ugo said that years ago, he unracked 1,000+ lbs. using this same bar and rack

Isometric Machine: the copper colored bar is what you use to perform the lift. You can adjust the tension, but there are no weights. There is no resistance during the eccentric phase; on the concentric, you press as fast and hard as you can

Isometric Machine platform and meter: the blue part is the metal platform where you stand. You can see the meter that measures the amount of force -- pretty much like a Tendo unit, but it's analog (obviously), not digital

Isometric Machine meter close up

Small Rack: Ugo's got a small adjustable rack in his garage. You can use it for bench, too, or dips or pretty much any movement that begins below your shoulders

100-lb. Pancake Plates: these are just awesome. I didn't know anyone made these flat plates in 100 lbs.

Bench with "Fat Bar": The bench looks like it's seen better days, but it's as sturdy as it has to be. Ugo said he's had it since he was a teenager, and it's the same bench he used to press 400 when he weighed over 200. The fat bar is a 20-lb. bar with a fat metal sleeve over it. Seemed to be between 2 and 2.5 inches thick

One end of the Fat Bar

Ugo also has some chains, bands, dumbbell sets, an incline bench, a bag of sand, an inner tube of sand, and I don't even know what else. Pretty much everything you need to train hard and add some variety. The isometric machine is my favorite piece. I think it would be great to use after a lower body workout. You can use any foot position you want and press as hard or light as you want. The weightless eccentric phase is a great feature.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #229
SecondsOut
Max Brawn

Default Tuesday, 5/14 (cont.)

Pause Squats (unloading the bar on the bottom pin, then doing the concentric)
several warmup sets on the isometric machine
several warmup sets in the power rack

3 x 5 x 225

Bench (with 2-2.5 inch "fat bar")
a couple light sets
2 x 200
1 x 225

3 x 7 x (180/170/170)

Lower Body Sled Drag (straight forward pull with rope around waist)
2 x ~40 yds. x 3 wood logs

Upper Body Sled Drag (front fly going one way, reverse fly coming back)
2 x ~40 yds. x empty truck tire

***BONUS***

15 Pullups by Member Ugo (I'm quite younger than Ugo and can't do this)

For Tuesday, I wanted to train a bit outside my current routine and also try out Ugo's home gym setup, which I like a lot. Tuesday was also my first time using the dragging sled in a while. I live in Miami, but Philly is my hometown. I'm up here visiting family (who actually live in a suburb now), and there's no way I could've packed Mighty Sled on the plane up here. On the first full day of my visit, I rode around asking auto shops for tires (they refused to give me one) and happened to find a few truck tires laying in the corner of a huge parking lot. Here's Big Man along with the wood logs I used for weights:

This photo shows the distance. I started at the point where I took the photo. The end point (the tree) is circled:

Last edited by SecondsOut; 05-15-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #230
SecondsOut
Max Brawn

Default Wednesday, 5/15

Lower Body Sled Drag (hamstrings: bent over with rope handles below knees, walking as fast as possible keeping feet flat)
2 laps around a very big back yard with truck tire + a bunch of small wooden planks

Upper Body Sled Drag (reverse fly on lap 1, front fly on lap 2)
2 laps around a very big back yard with truck tire

Power Shrug (pulled from the floor, lifting off with my heels and leaning back, then shrugging)
? x bar
? x 115
? x 135
? x 185
? x 225

3 x 10 x 185

Press
15 x bar
6 x 85
3 x 115
2 x 135

6 x (8/8/8/8/6/6) x 95

When I lifted with Ugo on Tuesday, he told me how one time, years ago, his deadlift improved a lot when he wasn't even training deadlift. He squatted and did dumbbell high pulls. He said he would add weight from workout to workout until the weight got so heavy that he could only deadlift the dumbbells. He got to this point with 175-lb. dumbbells, which would be 350 lbs. When he deadlifted with a barbell, though, he pulled 455.
I've been wanting to switch to a deadlift variation for while because high-volume or high-intensity deadlift workouts take a lot out of my lower back, and I can't sustain those type of deadlift workouts long term. So since today is my deadlift day, I decided to try power shrugs.
This was my first time doing them; I'll probably stick with them for a while and drop deadlift; occasionally do heavy singles, doubles, or triples on deadlift; or follow the exact plan Ugo described and just keep adding weight.
I got sore in all the regular deadlift places but also in my neck, rear delts, the outside of my forearm (I've never done a compound that hits this), and a bit in my biceps. I'm psyched about that because they're all areas I want to train but don't have time for a lot of extra movements.

Last edited by SecondsOut; 05-16-2013 at 01:03 AM.