Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 03-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #181
SecondsOut
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugo View Post
Sq 590, BP 400. 505 DL AT 215.
those are big numbers!

Quote:
Getting fatter didn't help my DL. My stomach got in the way. Ugo
lol

page bump:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondsOut View Post
1-RM Fat Bar Floor Press
10 x fat bar
8 x 135 (fb + 80 lbs. chains)
4 x 215 (fb + 160 lbs. chains)
2 x 295 (fb + 240 lbs. chains)

1 x 315 (fb + 20 lbs. + 240 lbs. chains)
1 x 335 (fb + 280 lbs. chains) (Floor Press/Fat Bar + Chains PR)

Reverse Hyperextension
10 x 70
3 x 10 x (140/210/240)

Seated Cable Pulldown (widegrip w/static holds at the chest)
3 x 10 x (100/100/90)

Band Tricep Press (with thick orange bands)
3 x (21/17/12)

Upper Body Sled
(with handles, press out like bench press)
5 x ~40 yards x (70/85/95/80/80)

I failed on 335 fat bar + chains floor press last week. Killed it this week. All the accessories are up from last week, too. I attribute this a little bit to strength gains but a lot to finding the groove: I haven't done assistance exercises in years, so my body's re-learning the movements. I decreased the weight on the sled and increased sets. I did this because I've been getting worse with 105, not better. It was too heavy a weight to start with.

Psyched about the PR! I was disappointed when I couldn't lift all the chains last week (they have 14 total sets; I used 12 sets + 20 lbs. in weights for the 315 press). When I told the trainer "I want to get all the chains next week," he said, "just focus on adding weight and maybe getting all the chains some time in the future." He was being nice and trying to tell me to be happy with steady progress, not unrealistic benchmarks. But I wanted to bench all 14 sets today, and I did it.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #182
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Killed that 335. Sweet.

Did I mention how jealous I am? The nearest powerlifting gym to here is over 2 hours away.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #183
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondsOut View Post
1 x 335 (fb + 280 lbs. chains)

I failed on 335 fat bar + chains floor press last week. Killed it this week. All the accessories are up from last week, too. I attribute this a little bit to strength gains but a lot to finding the groove: I haven't done assistance exercises in years, so my body's re-learning the movements. I decreased the weight on the sled and increased sets. I did this because I've been getting worse with 105, not better. It was too heavy a weight to start with.

Psyched about the PR! I was disappointed when I couldn't lift all the chains last week (they have 14 total sets; I used 12 sets + 20 lbs. in weights for the 315 press). When I told the trainer "I want to get all the chains next week," he said, "just focus on adding weight and maybe getting all the chains some time in the future." He was being nice and trying to tell me to be happy with steady progress, not unrealistic benchmarks. But I wanted to bench all 14 sets today, and I did it.
holy shiznit!

Magic!
Old 03-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #184
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Huge numbers.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #185
SecondsOut
Max Brawn

SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast
Default Friday, 4/12

I've taken the last 2 weeks off to catch up on work and to let my elbows heal up. I don't think my elbows are completely healed, but it feels like the kind of thing where some light pressing would actually help make them feel better.
Today, I decided to check out a new gym. It's a hole-in-the-wall community center gym. The membership fee is dirt cheap, the hours line up pretty well with my schedule, and the place was completely empty when I went there tonight. It was so nice not to have to wait for the power rack!

I kept the workout short and light. Just trying to get primed for more serious work later:

Squat
10 x bar
8 x 135
4 x 225

3 x 10 x 185

Bench
15 x bar
10 x 95
8 x 145
2 x 195

3 x 10 x 145

Been experiencing lower back pain. I believe it's from sitting reading for long hours. There was no original injury, and my back felt strong last week. Only thing that makes sense is lack of exercise + long hours of sitting.
Squat didn't aggravate my back, but bench did. My back hurt so much benching that I could barely concentrate on the lift. That said, everything was easy tonight. I could've gotten 195 for 5, maybe 6 or 7.

The bench work felt like child's play compared to the sled. Felt like I could've pumped that 145 all day. Definitely doesn't have the psychological factor like the sled does. Mighty Sled.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #186
SecondsOut
Max Brawn

Default Saturday, 4/13

Weight Check: 185

Deadlift
8 x 135
4 x 225
2 x 315
1 x 365

10 x 275

Incline Bench
? x bar
? x 95
? x 145
4 x 195

3 x 10 x 135

Still taking it easy after the 2-week layoff.
Didn't have much DL strength today, although my stamina was pretty high. Felt like I could've done a handful of sets of 10 with 275. I can remember when 275 was my max and I never thought I'd get to 3 wheels. Even though the numbers aren't impressive, it just feels great to rip 10 easy reps with your old 1-RM.
On inclines, I only planned on doing 195 for 2 reps, but my spotter -- just some guy at the gym -- was saying "c'mon, get 4" during the set, so I couldn't let him down. I could've gotten 5, but I don't think I could've gotten 6. Back felt way better on inclines than on flat bench yesterday. Again, the 135 felt ridiculously easy, especially the first 5 reps of each set. Just not the same psychological challenge as pulling that sled.

Looks like my weight's holdin steady at 185! I can't believe I haven't ballooned up to 200 by now with everything I'm eating -- and I was still eating big during the layoff. Fat percentage isn't low, but it's not changing. Guess that goes to show how many calories you need when you train right. The bulk continues.

Last edited by SecondsOut; 04-13-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #187
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Good rebound. Get after it!!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #188
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Interesting body comp results after 2 weeks...I am off for a week now and holding steady at 190...curious what will happen in another week!

I agree that after a brief rest, "light" workouts are better for recovery than none. Hope you get back to 100% ASAP.

Back is probably just tight from activity after the layoff...

Already looking for a new gym? Is the Westside one too expensive, or, are you not feeling it anymore?
Old 04-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #189
SecondsOut
Max Brawn

thanks dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
Already looking for a new gym? Is the Westside one too expensive, or, are you not feeling it anymore?
i had a post about it in my other thread. it was a combo of factors not related to the gym itself. $$ was one of them
Old 04-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #190
SecondsOut
Max Brawn

Default Saturday, 4/13 (cont.)

Got back out there tonight to the abandoned field for some GPP. Not much, just trying to put all the pieces together, get myself used to 2 sessions. I'll turn up the intensity once I settle in to a routine.

I wanted to do something different tonight, give Mighty Sled the night off. There are a bunch of abandoned shopping carts at the field. So I assembled...

The Ghetto Prowler

Piled it up with rocks (I put in more after the photo) and let'er rip. The reason I call it a prowler even though it has wheels is because:
  1. the wheels aren't air-filled, so they don't absorb shock or adjust to bumps or slight changes in the terrain. They have two modes: move or get stuck.
  2. the fact that it rolls isn't an advantage at all. You have to be much more careful with your footing because if it either gets caught and abruptly stops or hits a smooth patch and flies forward, then prepare your mouth and nose for slamming into the cart handle or the rocks.
  3. when this thing gets stuck, you have to work even harder to get it unstuck or just to get it moving again. Basically shopping carts weren't designed for a field with dips, bumps, and crap lying everywhere.

Oh yeah, and the red light on the wheels indicating shopping cart theft/automatic wheel brake kept blinking! LOL

Lower (Push Ghetto Prowler forward but keeping feet flat at all times)
2 x ~40 yds.

Upper (Overhead press movement using the rope handles fed through the frame of Ghetto Prowler)
1 x ~20 yds.

Upper (Throw a medium sized rock using a bench press motion)
2 x ~100 yds.

I won't be able to train upper body on Ghetto Prowler. When I tried, it kept falling over. I had to improvise something else tonight, so the only thing I could think of was throwing rocks. I would use two hands to set up, make sure the elbow of my throwing arm was flared, and then "throw" the rock in a pressing motion. Even though I went all that distance, it just didn't provide the burn that Mighty Sled does. Oh well, not all experiments are successful.

Last edited by SecondsOut; 04-13-2013 at 09:45 PM.