sleepingdog
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Heavy bar work
Fav Supp: Steak
sleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributor

3/25/13

Bench
45x5x2
135x5
225x5
245x3
265x2
275x2
285x1
295x1
305x1

Squats (rep goal 3x20)
250x8x3

Dips (rep goal 5x40)
BWx10
BW+45x10
BW+90x6
BW+90x6
BW+90x4

Cleans (rep goal 5x25)
95x5
135x5x5

Great day on the bench. Arms were shaking like a stone polisher, but it seemed to have no effect on my strength. I don't even know if this is a problem, or if everyone gets it when benching heavy. I had intended to end on 275x3, but the reps came so easy I decided to drop one rep and hit some singles. I'm glad I did. 305 didn't even feel like 100%, but I wanted to leave something for next week for the sake of progression. Squats were done as ATG as my body could possibly get at any weight. The stretch I got from them felt pretty good and the weight seemed pretty spot on for a day where they're a secondary exercise. I got WAY too ambitious on the dips, leading to sloppy reps, more stress on the shoulders than I should have allowed, and few dips than I would like to see in a workout. One 45# plate is what's on the menu for next time. Cleans went just as expected. The weight was moderate, reps were good form and explosive, and there was no difficulty completing sets. More weight COULD have been used, but I'll leave that to weekly progression as I'm still fairly new to this movement. No sense hurting myself on my finishing lift. I got my package from Rippedinmichigan today with my K-Otic, so I'll be starting a supplement log on wednesday (deadlift day!!). There will be some duplication of information, but mentally I need the continuity in this log while not detracting from the supp log. Really looking forward giving this a shot.

Personal tips that I've learned along my still short journey:

Leave your ego at the door.
Prepare. Showing up dehydrated, hungry, and tired will guarantee failure.
Be ready to fight for that grinder of a PR.
Listen and learn. Absorb everything you can, and assimilate that knowledge.

Top Gym lifts:
Squat: 415lbs
Deads: 440lbs
Bench: 315lbs
sleepingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #102
sleepingdog
Uber Brawn

sleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributor

3/27/13

Today is my first day of logging AAEFX K-Otic.
K-Otic Log

Deadlift
135x5
225x5
315x3
365x2
385x1
405x1 (straps)
420x1 PR (straps)

DB Rows
80x8
90x8
100x8 (Straps)
100x8 (Straps)
100x7 (Straps)

Shrugs
135x10
225x8
315x8 (straps)
365x8 (straps)
405x8 (straps)

Chinups
BWx6x5

Squats
250x8x3

Cable crunches
150x15x5

Today was yet another awesome day of pulling. I gave straps a try and was very pleased with the results. I'm able to shrug significantly more weight, with more confidence. I'm not sure I could have gripped the 420# pull today without them either. It was a little bit of a grinder, and taking grip out of the equation made it less daunting. The pre-workout was definitely giving me an energy boost. I didn't feel as fatigued at the end of the workout as usual. I could have easily thrown another few exercises in there, but I knew it was time to get on with the day. I'm thinking next weeks DL day won't have any singles, more likely ending with some moderate triples. Body felt great afterwards today, especially the upper back.

Top Gym lifts:
Old 03-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #103
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Keep destroying it.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #104
sleepingdog
Uber Brawn

3/29/13

Squats
45x8
135x8
225x8
315x6
345x3
365x3
375x2
395x1

Pullups (rep goal 10x50)
BWx6x7
BWx5x2

Leg Press (rep goal 4x30)
600x10x3

Calf Raises (rep goal 5x40)
275x8x5

Gotta love squat day. Everything felt great today, though I had a little mental hesitation on some of the heavier squats. I made sure that I did the heavy ones to one rep shy of failure. 400 was definitely there today, but I already jumped more today than I had intended during the pre-workout planning. I hadn't really planned to double on the 375, but it felt good, so I did it. Obviously I couldn't just do a single at 385 after that. Obviously. The pullups were probably the toughest thing I did today. I know progress can take some time, and I'm trying to be patient, but my pullups just aren't progressing as quickly as I would like. I had hoped that by now I would be doing sets of 10. Oh well, keep at it I suppose. Still not enough weight on the leg presses. I'm hoping next week to add another 50-75lbs and see if that gets me on target with the rep goal. Actually, I'm hoping that I add that and find that I can still do more. Calf raises were calf raises. Nothing special there. Should have done more weight, but I was already running into the time I wanted to be out of the gym. I'm not sure if I should add some more exercises to my routine. I'm not trying to muddle things up, but I'm leaving the gym feeling like there's gas left in the tank for lifting. I'd be alright with allocating some more time if I felt like more work would equate to a proportionate increase in my lifts. All I want is to be the strongest. That doesn't seem like an unreasonable desire.

Top Gym lifts:
Old 03-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #105
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Nice work!

My suggestion when it comes to singles is to only add 5 pounds when the current weight feels manageable. So if 395 felt decent, and you have confidence, add 5 next time.

Not telling you what to do, just offering a possibility.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #106
sleepingdog
Uber Brawn

Totally on board with that Steve. I got a little zealous today after the double. I'm thinking of doing everything the same next time and only adding 5 to the last single. And once in a while it's ok to have you guys with the knowledge pop in to tell me what I should do. No good teacher leaves his class to do what they want ALL the time.

Top Gym lifts:
Old 03-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #107
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Nice work lately SD. Wicked squat and deadlift, bench moving too. Had to laugh at that stone polisher remark! I ddin't know their arms shook.

Rock on.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:22 PM   #108
sleepingdog
Uber Brawn

Thanks Mike. I'm hoping for continued success the next few months before progression starts to slack.

Top Gym lifts:
Old 03-30-2013, 01:36 AM   #109
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Heavy squats bro. Just remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #110
Cutty
Max Brawn
Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member

getting there man, keep it up
Cutty is offline   Reply With Quote