sleepingdog
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Heavy bar work
Fav Supp: Steak
sleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributor

Mini-meet tonight. I won the "lightweight" category >181lbs.

Squat 375
Bench 300
Deadlift 405
Total 1080

Might have had the 1100 in me tonight. I failed 380 on the squat, but I'm almost certain that I should be closer to 400. 300 on the bench was fairly easy, I won't promise, but 315 might be in there somewhere. 405 was rough on the deadlift, my form is still not right. Strongbacked that one up and almost hitched it. I'll post up videos later from my laptop once they stop screwing with the internet here. Having to post from the work computer.

Interesting meet at a hole in the wall gym on base. No belts, no chalk available.

Personal tips that I've learned along my still short journey:

Leave your ego at the door.
Prepare. Showing up dehydrated, hungry, and tired will guarantee failure.
Be ready to fight for that grinder of a PR.
Listen and learn. Absorb everything you can, and assimilate that knowledge.

Top Gym lifts:
Squat: 415lbs
Deads: 440lbs
Bench: 315lbs

Last edited by sleepingdog; 02-22-2013 at 12:26 PM.
sleepingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #52
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingdog View Post
Mini-meet tonight. I won the "lightweight" category >181lbs.

Squat 375
Bench 300
Deadlift 405
Total 1080

Might have had the 1100 in me tonight. I failed 380 on the squat, but I'm almost certain that I should be closer to 400. 300 on the bench was fairly easy, I won't promise, but 315 might be in there somewhere. 405 was rough on the deadlift, my form is still not right. Strongbacked that one up and almost hitched it. I'll post up videos later from my laptop once they stop screwing with the internet here. Having to post from the work computer.

Interesting meet at a hole in the wall gym on base. No belts, no chalk available.
Solid work. How close was the 380?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:45 AM   #53
sleepingdog
Uber Brawn

sleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributor

Got it about halfway. I didn't really feel prepared to lift anything after just two quick warmup set less than 200#. I'll work in a better warmup prior today.

Top Gym lifts:
Old 02-23-2013, 12:59 AM   #54
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Looks awesome. Your bench is strong compared to other lifts.
fenrisulfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:09 AM   #55
sleepingdog
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
Looks awesome. Your bench is strong compared to other lifts.
Thanks. I blame that on how I learned about lifting weights. That was the famous, you only work the muscles you can see plan. Didn't work out for me. Now my other two lifts have some catching up to do.

Top Gym lifts:
Old 02-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #56
sleepingdog
Uber Brawn

Video from yesterdays so called meet.

Top Gym lifts:
Old 02-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #57
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingdog View Post
Video from yesterdays so called meet.

Bagram 1000lb club - YouTube
Good try on that squat. I bet you would have hit a squat 5 pounds lighter.

Both squat and bench form seemed decent from what I could tell. Deadlift needs work. You are starting with hips high and this is causing you probably 30-40 pounds.

I would suggest posting that in it's own thread, or in the form critique thread, so all the big guys can chime in with advice.

Well done man!

Old 02-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #58
sleepingdog
Uber Brawn

Been too long since I posted, my thread made it to page 4 today.

2/25/13
Squats
45x5x2
135x5
185x3
245x2
315x5x3

Bench
45x5x2
120x5
175x3
220x2
265x5x2

Rackpull/Powershrug
135x5
225x5
315x5

I don't know if I was just still fatigued from 2 days in a row of going all out, or if I was just having an off day, but the weights were heavy today. There was a little left at the end of my squats. I could have probably pushed out two more, but my knees were coming to the inside on the last rep and my left shoulder was already starting to feel crappy. I skipped the last work set of bench when the whole left arm started getting weak. I just wasn't in the mood for a 265lb necklace. I'm not even sure what to say about the rackpull/powershrug deal. I don't think I should be doing this exercise without some sort of supervision. I could tell right away that I was doing it completely wrong. I hope I run across someone soon that can straighten me out on it in real time. Video critiques are great, but they just don't replace a proficient partner.

I stopped in at the clinic and talked to the doc there. What a waste of my time. Instead of doing an exam, he asked me what the problem was repeatedly, as if I was supposed to be the doctor. When I finally broke down and told him my suspicion of tendonitis or bursitis in the shoulder and elbow, he tells me "that seems most likely" and suggests that I'm lifting "too much weight for my size". I'll just pretend that was a compliment vice ignorance. No other suggestions or medical advice. No NSAIDs. Went to the store and bought some aleve. I'll just be giving it a rest for a few more days and taking the aleve. Gonna be hard to not go lift, that's my escape from work.

Top Gym lifts:
Old 02-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #59
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
I stopped in at the clinic and talked to the doc there. What a waste of my time. Instead of doing an exam, he asked me what the problem was repeatedly, as if I was supposed to be the doctor.
That ticks me off.

Sounds like every doctor up here. I end up learning more about my condition spending 5 minutes on the net.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #60
sleepingdog
Uber Brawn

I felt pretty damn good today. Full of energy, feeling strong. I really wanted to go lift. Fortunately, I packed my PT gear in the bottom of my bags. That's the only thing that kept me on track with my plan to continue resting until tomorrow sometime. Now I've just got to drink about 6 gallons of water to make up for all the pop I drank today, and get some quality sleep tonight. Fat chance of either happening, but I'll most likely be in the gym tomorrow pulling anyways.

Top Gym lifts: