Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 12-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #111
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
Good Stuff, save 20 reppers for when you know you won't or can't be in the gym for awhile
actually the 20reppers were fine, i just enjoyed this style more, the one i am referring to is my GPDT style that was just brutal. one thing i look at every time i try out a new routine is how well i recover from the workout, this is why i have never run a real GVT cycle for instance
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2009, 04:53 PM   #112
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Nice workout Grimster.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:58 PM   #113
Grim83
Max Brawn

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Nice workout Grimster.
it was alright, a few pr's the push press was the most reps i've ever done with that weight, most weight i've ever done on bb rows, most weight on bb curls ever, and thats the most weight i've squatted in nearly 2 years.

The reason my squats and deadlifts are so low is because my legs grow like weeds, and so i occasionally stop working them to allow my upper body to come up a bit.

No Bullshit no problems

Old 12-11-2009, 05:01 PM   #114
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim83 View Post
Scratch that last idea, soreness was insane, which makes it counter productive if i cant keep lifting so back to the old way

Squats- 200x10
Push press- 100x8
BB row- 150x2
BB curl- 100x4
BTW, I couldn't tell how this was structured. You doing single sets, multiple sets?

Old 12-11-2009, 05:08 PM   #115
Grim83
Max Brawn

Quote:
BTW, I couldn't tell how this was structured. You doing single sets, multiple sets?
I do single sets (work sets that is), not necessarily to failure though, personally if i can set a pr without failure then im happy, also if i beat my mark then i will quit there normally because i feel that at that point i have given my body a sufficent stimulus

No Bullshit no problems

Old 12-11-2009, 05:12 PM   #116
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
I do single sets (work sets that is), not necessarily to failure though, personally if i can set a pr without failure then im happy, also if i beat my mark then i will quit there normally because i feel that at that point i have given my body a sufficent stimulus
I've never really trained to failure. I just don't care for it.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:21 PM   #117
Grim83
Max Brawn

Quote:
I used to, but as i moved away from HIT, i realized that failure was not the stimulus, progression is, so therefore my new aim is only to surpass what i have done in previous workouts, and let the rest take care of itself

No Bullshit no problems

Old 12-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #118
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

So do you have a workout structure or plan right now? Or are you more or less tinkering around?

Old 12-11-2009, 05:51 PM   #119
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Quote:
I used to, but as i moved away from HIT, i realized that failure was not the stimulus, progression is, so therefore my new aim is only to surpass what i have done in previous workouts, and let the rest take care of itself
I find the concept of training to failure a bit hazy. For example, which of the following would constitute training to failure for pecs (consider a lifter whose 10RM is 175 lbs)

Case A)
workset 1: bench press - 175 x 10 + 1 forced rep
workset 2: flyes with 35 lbs till he cant do another rep and finish off with a couple of forced rep on flyes

Case B)
Workset 1: bench press - 175 x 10
Workset 2: bench press - 165 x 10 (max reps after getting fatigued with set 1)
Workset 3: bench press - 155 x 10 (max at this stage)
Workset n: bench press - 95 x 10 (max at this stage)
Another few sets of flyes, working down from 35lbs to 15 lbs.

Case (A), the lifter does forced reps and still has gas left in tanks to rep out 135 lbs for 10. Case (B), the lifter does not do forced reps etc but uses high volume to ensure he cant move significant weights in that workout any more. Which of them is training to failure, or well, more inclined towards training to failure?

It's another matter that I personally think both case (A) and (B) are unnecessary
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:05 PM   #120
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

KP. Did you see this article:

Weight Training With Effort - Many Ways

The Carpinelli study is like a meta study, similar to Casey's. It basically show that only effort is required. Rep range and method aren't as important.

So, basically...it is check mark for progression, because progression assures new, consistent effort.

Quote:
Young males who had been lifting for at least one year were tested for AL after performing 5RM, 10RM, and 20RM dumbbell curls (RM = repetition maximum). Repetition duration was 3 seconds positive, 1 second pause, and 3 seconds negative. In other words, each rep, up and down, took 5 seconds. Total time under load (TUL) was therefore 35, 70, and 140 seconds for 5, 10, and 20 reps, respectively. The resistance was, of necessity, substantially different for each rep range. More weight can be lifted 5 times than 10 or 20 times.

Think about it. Low reps, mid-range reps, high reps; heavy, medium, light. That about covers the usual options, doesn’t it? (As we will see, there are more.)

As Dr. Carpinelli—and the size principle—would predict, AL was essentially the same for all three rep ranges. “The three different amounts of resistance (and the different TUL) elicited similar activation levels of motor units (93.5 to 95.5%),” Jungblut reports, “because there was a maximal effort (RM) on the last repetition of each protocol.” (Emphasis mine)

The researchers concluded that the popular opinion that a 5RM would produce greater muscle fiber response was not supported. “In fact,” Jungblut adds, “their study shows that it was the degree of effort in performing the final repetition that determined motor unit activation and not the resistance or time-under-load (TUL).”

So, the choice is yours. You can lift heavy or light. Your muscles will respond the same—as long as the last rep or so challenges you level of strength.
That also favors the notion that 1000 sets aren't needed.