Old 03-08-2013, 04:17 AM   #31
DevoD
New Brawn
Points: 258, Level: 5 Points: 258, Level: 5 Points: 258, Level: 5
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: Roughly three-four years.
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift and Seated Row
DevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Devo, how scientific do you want to get? Are you measuring supplement macros? You know fish oil caps have fat in 'em!

Just sayin' you're getting too crazy about percentages and this and that.

Sounds like you want to look like Mr. universe all along the way to being Mr universe, and even the actual Mr universe can't do that. It's not a science project. You have ebbs and flows.

Define a goal. weight and look. Or whatever. Then work towards it. See what happens and adjust as necassary.

DO NOT try to be perfect from the first day. Find your Mr. Universe form,not someone else's then hone it in.

Hey thanks for the input! I know it is so easy to get too focused on the process and end up with little results, my biggest problem. I finally figured out a good routine to stick with through the help of BTB, and then I started worrying about diet. I'm not that strict, I count protein and total calories everyday, and limit carbs to pre/post workout.

I just want to hit a respectable weight, 180 lbs in my book. But being 180 lbs and not looking like I even lift and unconditioned is not what I'm going for. Strong/athletic at 180 is my ideal!
DevoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #32
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Sounds good! Off to a great start, too.

I had to laugh though, I started out like you wanting to be 180 and look like I lift, strong/athletic, etc. Now I'm just over 200 and into powerlifting!

You never know where life might take you.

Onward and upward.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #33
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevoD View Post
Here is a current photo of my back. I am pretty happy with my back/bicep progression. Still need to grow some wings, and I have just started implementing serious Power Shrugs in my upper days to build some mountains!

Attachment 7709

***Both Photos reflect my weight of 171 lbs at a height of 5'11***

I am trying to hit 180 lbs at maybe 12% bodyfat, I would assume at such a level I would have a faint outline of top 4 abs. I understand how to calculate macros for getting to 180 lbs, but how do you go about calculating macros for a bf percentage at a specific weight? Or is that simply not possible, eat for 180 and see what my composition looks like when I arrive?
You need to start where you are with calories and pull back 300. Watch that after the first 2 weeks. Not during the first 2 weeks. That doesn't count.

After the first two weeks you want to be losing about 1.5 per week. If that is not occurring, pull back your cals by 200 more a day and give it 2-3 weeks.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #34
DevoD
New Brawn

DevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Sounds good! Off to a great start, too.

I had to laugh though, I started out like you wanting to be 180 and look like I lift, strong/athletic, etc. Now I'm just over 200 and into powerlifting!

You never know where life might take you.

Onward and upward.

Yes we will see! There is something to be said about about the feeling of cinching up your belt for a big bench or deadlift. That might make me continue going up and up haha
Old 03-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #35
DevoD
New Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
You need to start where you are with calories and pull back 300. Watch that after the first 2 weeks. Not during the first 2 weeks. That doesn't count.

After the first two weeks you want to be losing about 1.5 per week. If that is not occurring, pull back your cals by 200 more a day and give it 2-3 weeks.
Thanks, but I think I misunderstood the post. I'm 171 trying to go up to 180, and I would have a really hard time losing scale weight because I have worked so hard to reach 171 although not lean. I will go back and read your thread "To Bulk or Cut" where you essentially eat for the maintenance of a 180 lb guy, and eventually will reach your goal. Seems simple, although slower route perhaps.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:18 AM   #36
DevoD
New Brawn

Thought I better update my training progress from this past week.

Upper:
Flat DB press: 4x6 @95's with a Spot on set 4, will try 95s again until I rep them alone
Yates Row: 4x8 @ 185 I can still go heavier, time to bump it up
Inc BB Press: 3x10 @ 135 This was really surprising!
Chin Up Wide: 3x10-12 @ bodyweight (170 lbs) repped 10, 8, 6
Seated Triceps Extension: 2x15 @ 50lbs
BB Curl: 2x12 @ 105 repped 12, then 6. Huge decrease on 2nd set but I made a huge jump in weight so it was expected
Power Shrigs: 3x12 @ 185 lbs. Did them high as I could extending on to my toes. Traps have never been so sore! I have removed lateral raises for Power Shrugs both days...way more bang for my buck

**Lower has been interesting, from old herniax4/hip injuries, I have had to constantly adjust the weight. With some weeks being heavy, and others being light depending on how my body was feeling. This week I had to keep it fairly light.

Lower:
Squats: 4x12@155 narrow duck footed stance, killed my low inner thigh!
Box Squats (Thursday) 4x6@285 Pretty good, but felt it in my scar tissues that night.
SLDL: 4X10 @ 185
Leg Extensions: 3x12 @ 150 lbs progress!
Seated Calf Raise: 3x15 @ 70lbs 2 second

*Skipped leg press this week, that one oddly bothered me the most

***Also I had reread the 'To Bulk or Cut' thread, and it really simplified the diet. My target weight of 180 x 16 due to activity level totaled 2880k. At first I tried 1 gram protein per pound of target weight, but that resulted in a carb intake of 470g, obviously too high. So I tried 1.5 for protein and here is my following split:

270g Protein
28g fats
382 grams carbs

This is a nice goal to be mindful of each day to hit those targets. I will see if I can get my protein intake this high, but I may have to drop it and increase my fats and carbs to make it more affordable. Thanks for the thread BTB!

Last edited by DevoD; 03-11-2013 at 02:57 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #37
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Looks like solid work.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote