Old 02-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #11
DevoD
New Brawn
Points: 258, Level: 5 Points: 258, Level: 5 Points: 258, Level: 5
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: Roughly three-four years.
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift and Seated Row
DevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
The routine is rarely the key to success. Most routines will serve you well as long as they have a proven track record.

If you want to do an upper/lower then you should. As long as you have a specific progression approach going in.

Let me know if you need help picking an upper/lower.

Thanks for the advice again, I see you take the time to answer as many threads as you can everyday. Tomorrow I will log the end of my 12 day cycle; I love my current program, but starting a new job (3 nights a week) with college, I think it would be wise to use an upper/lower split for recovery.

Hopefully I will have my mind finally made up by then! The 3 on 1 off and keeping sessions at 45 minutes with 10-12 sets max per body part seems to be alright for recovery. At my age my hormones/recovery may be as good as they ever get so I'd hate to waste anymore time!

Thanks, D
DevoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevoD View Post
At my age my hormones/recovery may be as good as they ever get so I'd hate to waste anymore time!

Thanks, D
True. Those hormones don't get better with age, I can vouch for that.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #13
DevoD
New Brawn

DevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good postsDevoD has made some good posts

Today was the end of my 12 day routine cycle (4 day squat/deadlift cycle running with a 6 day back/chest/shoulder). It ended with a great chest session!

Started with flat db press (have been taking a break from bb press for a while now)
Flat DB Press (3 minute rest period)
Target: 4x6 @ 85 lb db
Repped: 1x6@85s, 1x6@85s, 1x4@85s & 1x4 @85 (stopped at 4 on sets 3 & 4 as I did not want to hit positive failure on rep 5).

Incline BB Press (1 minute rest period, light weight as I'm pretty tired after Flat)
Target: 3x8-10 @ 120lbs
Repped: 1x8@120, 1x8@120, 1x7@120 (stopped one rep short of positive failure on last set).

Extra 'Pump' Exercise to maybe help with chest development, some extra blood flow to the area....(1 minute rest)
Plate Squeeze: 4x12@35lb plate; all reps accomplished.

As for the upcoming week these would by new goals in my main lifts if I re-start the cycle tomorrow:

Deadlift: 6x3@310lbs
Seated DB Press: 4x6@60lb DBs
Yates Row: 4x8@145lbs (Have been doing Pendley but these are easier on my lower back, routine gives you the option to rotate between types of rows every other workout).
Full Back Squats: 4x6@210lbs **(Accidentally put my box squat numbers in my first post in this thread for stats)**
Box Squats: 4x6@230lbs

However, due to my lower back being sore, I may omit my deadlift day tomorrow or do it very lightly. The pain seems to be in my deep lower back, on the right and left side of my spinal erectors by my hips (and maybe a little towards centre). It does not bother me on chest,shoulders or back day, or even squatting. Only feel it on my deadlift day, and a lot in the mornings bending over but a hot shower has me pretty good for the day.

If I choose an upper/lower split to continue with I may use Lyle's Generic Bulk Routine, as it would give me a break from deadlifts until I feel 100 percent, and more rest days. It also has similar scheme for me to progress with, 4x6 etc so my numbers would carry over to that program nicely.

There will be pictures coming soon so you know the condition I'm currently in and you will better understand my goals!

Last edited by DevoD; 02-03-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #14
DevoD
New Brawn

Quote:
The routine is rarely the key to success. Most routines will serve you well as long as they have a proven track record.

If you want to do an upper/lower then you should. As long as you have a specific progression approach going in.

Let me know if you need help picking an upper/lower.

Thoughts on something like Lyle's Generic Bulk Routine? Good frequency, more time for conditioning or rest. Only concern is that I really want my shoulders built, more than anything. Will lack of delt/trap focus, power-shrugs, upright-rows hinder that goal, or is that negligible for someone with limited training experience.

Thanks D
Old 02-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #15
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevoD View Post
Thoughts on something like Lyle's Generic Bulk Routine? Good frequency, more time for conditioning or rest. Only concern is that I really want my shoulders built, more than anything. Will lack of delt/trap focus, power-shrugs, upright-rows hinder that goal, or is that negligible for someone with limited training experience.

Thanks D
I think it's solid.

Lack of shoulder and trap focus will hinder that goal, in my opinion. I never made great gains in my traps without the combo of power shrugs and deadlifts.

I wouldn't hesitate to make minor tweaks to fit your needs.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:33 AM   #16
DevoD
New Brawn

Quote:
I think it's solid.

Lack of shoulder and trap focus will hinder that goal, in my opinion. I never made great gains in my traps without the combo of power shrugs and deadlifts.

I wouldn't hesitate to make minor tweaks to fit your needs.

Good point. From reading others threads, it's quite impressive the combinations of movements/days that the experienced have put together through trial and error for themselves.

Upper
Flat bench: 3-4X6-8
Row: 3-4X6-8
Incline bench or shoulder press: 2-3X10-12
Pulldown/chin: 2-3X10-12
Triceps: 1-2X12-15
Biceps: 1-2X12-15

I was thinking for tuesdays keep it chest focused; Flat db and Inc bb. Fridays sub the seated db press in for inc bb. The only addition to the perfectly written routine would be lateral side raises 3x12 (or upright rows) on tuesdays and power shrugs 3x 8-10 on fridays. I don't think those additions would hurt the effectiveness of the program.

Anyway enough talking about it, time to hit the weights, eat and throw in some conditioning. Simplicity is my friend!

Thanks for all the help getting me going.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #17
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Smash!

Old 02-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #18
DevoD
New Brawn

Thought I would post a training update from the week!

This week was used to switch from the Power-Building routine to something with a little less frequency to free up some extra off days for conditioning and recovery. The rep scheme for the main lifts were identical so my weight progression transferred over very nicely.

I continued to use the weights used in my last cycle of power-building, but cut the volume in half this week to use it as my de-load week, and learn the routine so I can crush it for the next 6 weeks before I take another de-load.

Today I did my first session of hill sprints in a long time! I was winded after after about 20-30 minutes. Hills are all still covered in snow so that added an extra challenge.

Weekly Goals:

Upper:
Flat DB press: 4x6-8 @ 85's
Yates Row: 4x6-8 @ 145
Inc BB Press: 3x10-12 @ 12 (Chest is always smashed after flat)
Chin Up Wide: 3x10-12 @ bodyweight (170 lbs)
Reverse Grip Bench: 2x12-15 @ 115lbs
DB Curl: 2x12-15 @ 35's
Lateral Raises: 4x12-15 @ 15 lbs

Lower:
Squats: 4x10-12 @ 185 lbs (back is feeling good, so I will keep it light a little longer)
SLDL: 4X10-12 @ 135lbs (again keeping it light)
Leg Press 3x10-12 @ 270 lbs
Leg Extensions: 3x10-12 @ 110 lbs
Seated Calf Raise: 3x15-20 @ 70lbs 2 second pause at bottom

I'm really hoping that 8 weeks from now, adding in hill sprints saturdays, 30 minute jog outside on wednesdays, and 20 minutes of incline walking after leg days will begin to make a difference! Nothing more addictive than actually noticing your own results.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #19
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Program looks very good. Smash your goals and then some.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #20
DevoD
New Brawn

Great Start week one of this upper/lower style at full intensity.

Monday: Lower

Squats: 4x6 @ 205 (Back was feeling good so I kept my reps low)
SLDL: 4X10 @ 135lbs all reps were hit, push it to 12 on thursday
Leg Press 3x10-12 @ 270 lbs, time to add weight
Leg Extensions: 3x10-12 @ 110 lbs time to add weight
Standing Calf Raise 3x10 @ 170 time to add weight
Seated Calf Raise: 3x15-20 @ 70 lbs only got 1x15,1x12 and 1x12 with 45lbs, calfs were smashed

Tuesday: Upper

Flat DB press: 4x6 @ 85's-needed a spot last set, will try by myself for the 4 sets friday
Yates Row: 4x6-8 @ 145, - Repped 4x8 with 140, will use 145 friday
Inc BB Press: 3x10-12 @ 120 - only got 1x10, 1x8, 1x8, didn't hit failure
Chin Up Wide: 3x10-12 @ bodyweight (170 lbs) 1x10, 1x6, 1x5 strength dropped off fast
Close Grip Bench: 2x12-15 @ 115lbs - Repped 1x12, 1x8
BB Curl: 2x12-15 @ 50lbs plus smaller BB, 1x10, 1x10
Lateral Raises: 4x12-15 @ 15 lbs - repped 1x12 and 1x12 and called the workout

There is lots of progress to be made, hopefully thursday and friday I'll hit my weeky goals.

Anyone have a spreadsheet template to track progress with? If not I will figure something out this weekend so my log is more organized. Will also hopefully have pics up by the weekend, just need to take one at some point; this should make tracking progress pretty good with numbers and visuals.