Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training Logs (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How often to trains abs? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1224)

Dianna Bol 11-16-2009 12:43 PM

How often to trains abs?
 
I read all these articles and profiles on bodybuilders, and most of them train abs mulitple times per week. Then I read articles that say train abs like every other bodyparts. Why are people training abs 2 to 4 times each week? Is it just a stupid obsession, or does frequent ab training have merit?

AthleteCreator 11-16-2009 12:47 PM

Well, Miss Bol, glad to see a lady on the board!


I guess it depends on what kind of physique you're looking for. Personally, I only train abs twice a week on my "off" days. But, I'm not going for the bodybuilder "V" shape. I would be content with a barrell shape, ridiculously strong core to support massive loads....all relatively speaking of course.

In my opinion, if you're looking that v-shape, you'd train more frequently with less load, whereas I train less frequently but with loaded exercises.





























I realize you are not a woman.

bwys61 11-16-2009 01:00 PM

I support this statement. I would personally focus the heavy ab work on days that the back is also worked hard

Quote:

Originally Posted by AthleteCreator (Post 10316)
Well, Miss Bol, glad to see a lady on the board!


I guess it depends on what kind of physique you're looking for. Personally, I only train abs twice a week on my "off" days. But, I'm not going for the bodybuilder "V" shape. I would be content with a barrell shape, ridiculously strong core to support massive loads....all relatively speaking of course.

In my opinion, if you're looking that v-shape, you'd train more frequently with less load, whereas I train less frequently but with loaded exercises.





























I realize you are not a woman.


Dianna Bol 11-16-2009 01:16 PM

What if you don't train them at all? Say you were a bodybuilder and never trained abs. When you cut up, would it make your waist look smaller? I mean, you would still have a six pack. I guess I never heard anyone say "look at his small abs."

bwys61 11-16-2009 01:53 PM

It would look like he had no waist. Possible cut up, but the more muscle tissue available, the better it looks


Quote:

Originally Posted by Dianna Bol (Post 10318)
What if you don't train them at all? Say you were a bodybuilder and never trained abs. When you cut up, would it make your waist look smaller? I mean, you would still have a six pack. I guess I never heard anyone say "look at his small abs."


AthleteCreator 11-16-2009 02:12 PM

I can't remember which blog or article I just read (I only read reputable ones so I have faith in my ensuing regurgitation) but here's another way to think about it....

Everyone has abs. They are just hidden under fat. This we all know. Now, why do some people have visible abs at 10% where other people need to get down to 7 or 8% to see their abs? Just like any other muscle group, the bigger the muscle, the more it's going to show through.

In other words, if you "hypertrophy" your abs, they will be more visible earlier on and even more jacked once you diet down to competition fat levels.

TitanWIP 11-16-2009 02:27 PM

If you're doing heavy compound lifts most of the week, you're abs will be strong and big enough, IMHO. You don't need to do much ab work.

How many bodybuilders you see doing rep work for abs. Does that really make the muscle bigger? I'm just asking, because I doubt it does. I think it's an ego issue and an obsession.

AthleteCreator 11-16-2009 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanWIP (Post 10323)
If you're doing heavy compound lifts most of the week, you're abs will be strong and big enough, IMHO. You don't need to do much ab work.

How many bodybuilders you see doing rep work for abs. Does that really make the muscle bigger? I'm just asking, because I doubt it does. I think it's an ego issue and an obsession.

Gonna have to slightly disagree here. I've lifted as a powerlifter/olympic weightlifter most of my career and done very, very, very little extra ab work. This summer when I decided to "get cut up" I was down to about 8.5-9% bodyfat and still, only the top 4 abs were clearly defined and my lowers were just a faded outline.

Since then I've added the loaded workouts 2 days/week and even at 10+% at the moment, the top 4 are still visible (though not defined).

As for the bodybuilder comment, I know quite a few that do dedicated ab work. Of course it makes the muscle bigger. Are abs immune to the law of adaptation and hypertrophy?

BendtheBar 11-16-2009 02:54 PM

If I ever see my abs again, I'll chime in.

Regarding Titan's statement...I believe he is commenting on the tendency of bodybuilders to do high rep work with abs as opposed to resistance training like other body parts. I believe his question is...does high rep work really build ab muscle? I think it's a good question to ask.

Personally, when I do ab work it's weighted, and involves progressive resistance.

I've interviewed many natural bodybuilders, and more then a few don't do much ab work. Most though have very intense ab workouts numerous times each week. So I think there are genetic factors involved, as with all muscles.

Is the focus on high rep, multiple sessions per week ab work a tradition, or is it scientifically valid?

Jesse Polanco 12-04-2009 02:17 AM

i train my abs for strength training and train them 2 times a week very heavy


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.