Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 01-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #161
Paradox
Max Brawn
Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I was just thinking, I used to get pec trouble when I first started (first few years) and it would come about from both close and wider benching. I started off doing a lot of low reps and never really cared much about the higher rep stuff. While the strength emphasis was good, I never really developed the conditioning that higher reps brings.

Conditioning is good, solidifies form and allows you build muscle without taxing your ligaments as much which is better for recovery.

If you never developed a foundation with higher reps, perhaps consider at some point. I think it would do you good.
I would say I probably haven't done a lot of high rep stuff. Would you suggest sets between 8-12 reps? Wide or close? Or whatever works?
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #162
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Yeah, something like that.

Just developing a solid base of muscle will protect you from most injuries in the gym, that's something which isn't really talked about a lot. Muscle is very protective generally.

If you do it, it has to be the focus of the routine, not this gay-WSB assistance after thought crap. It has to be the main part of the routine. Higher rep sets 3-4, preferably timed sets.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #163
Paradox
Max Brawn

Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Yeah, something like that.

Just developing a solid base of muscle will protect you from most injuries in the gym, that's something which isn't really talked about a lot. Muscle is very protective generally.

If you do it, it has to be the focus of the routine, not this gay-WSB assistance after thought crap. It has to be the main part of the routine. Higher rep sets 3-4, preferably timed sets.
Thanks for the advice, sir. I agree with all of this. I'm pretty lacking in the muscle area I would say lol
Old 01-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #164
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I watched Hazzard go from a 160kgs raw bench to 172.5kgs in around 4 months I think doing overload work off boards but also working in the slingshot a LOT. At best I think he pressed 202.5 or 205kgs in his Slanger. The overload really helped his raw bench. It keeps your form pretty much the same, you're still going full ROM but you get overload and should protect your pec. Bell now suggests using a pause when in the Slanger for raw lifters and from my recent raw experiment I would agree.

Disclaimer: no overload work while you're hurt. Just get your reps in and work up gently. This goes without saying I guess but just in case
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #165
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

That doesn't exactly paint the full picture though Al, Hazz is known for doing a considerable amount of volume work. The overload is the icing on the cake for him, an advanced bencher.

This isn't about building on to what is already an advanced Bench, it's about laying a foundation on an beginner/intermediate upper body. Different goals, very different methods.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #166
Paradox
Max Brawn

Is Hazz a member on here, or where could I find an example of how much volume work this fellow does?

I'll certainly start by doing a ton of volume, then see how it progresses from there. I don't have many weeks left before nationals, but I have to look at the long term, I suppose.

Lastly, does anyone have experience in Slingshot vs Ram? Or Reactive Slingshot vs Original vs Maddog (I won't get Maddog, it's too much material for me right now). I'll do some looking around online, but opinions/thoughts are appreciated.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #167
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100

LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Hazzard is a member here. Search his old logs around the end of 2011/start 2012.

My original point, which I don't think I communicated very well, was to use the Slingshot to maintain a decent training volume on bench whilst rehabbing your pec. Not used any other of the devices you mentioned but I love my slingshot.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #168
Paradox
Max Brawn

Thanks, LtL. I think I'll order up a slingshot tonight, and just reverse band until it gets here. The pec actually feels fairly normal today, so we'll see if that feeling lasts while training tonight.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #169
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn

Take it easy and you'll be fine. Have you had a look at Donnie Thompson's rehab stuff?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #170
Paradox
Max Brawn

I plan on dropping my bench days down from three to two. I'll bench on Mondays and Fridays now.

Monday
Bench, 3 sets of 10-12 reps. Probably 1 set as a top set, and two down sets. Maybe more down sets depending on how I feel.
CG Bench, 3 sets of 8-10 sets

Friday
Bench, 3 sets of 8-10 reps, likely structured the same as Monday, just a bit heavier
DB Bench, 3 sets of 10-12

EDIT:

I think I'll run this as an accumulation block for 3-4 weeks, then run some sort of intensification for 2 weeks before doing a realization block for the meet.

I'll start off reverse banding on these days when I think it's needed (especially this first 1-2 weeks), then slingshot when it's here. The slingshot should let me get an intensification block in without danger, as well.

EDIT2:

Maybe 4 sets of 6-8 and 4 sets of 8-10 instead of 3 sets and 8-10/10-12? Rawr, bodybuilding.

Last edited by Paradox; 01-28-2013 at 08:58 AM.