Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 01-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #91
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
Unofficial World Records in Weightlifting + bonus squats - YouTube

Amazing. A lot of the time I think if I had access to olympic weighlifting I'd rather do it. A bit late to start now, but still. A lot of the time when I think a workout is craziness, I just think of Ivan Abadjiev and the Bulgarian method, and it no longer seems like it's impossible.
I wish I had known abotu Olympic lifting during my teens and 20s. Was never in any mags.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #92
Paradox
Max Brawn
Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I wish I had known abotu Olympic lifting during my teens and 20s. Was never in any mags.
It's not that big in Canada, even now. Especially not on the East Coast. I don't even know if there are established, "successful" coaches outside of Ontario and BC.

To me, Olympic lifting builds a ridiculous strength base. I could still do powerlifting meets, as the only "accessory" work to Olympic lifting that really matters are squats. From all the jerking (in CnJs...) , a bench press would come along just "fine." Certainly not huge, but it would suffice. Oh well.
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:23 AM   #93
ravimolasaria
Max Brawn
Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Whatever makes me strong
ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!

Strong work Para ... 140kg Front squat and that too the holded one ... great going ...
Old 01-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #94
Paradox
Max Brawn

Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravimolasaria View Post
Strong work Para ... 140kg Front squat and that too the holded one ... great going ...
Oh man, I wish I had actually squatted it. Front squat holds are just holding it in the rack position at the top (standing straight). Great "core" movement, as it features an anterior load.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #95
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

I took an Oly lifting course here in Calgary at a facility called Peak Power. I was offered an 1 year course taught by an actual former Oly coach. It was about $150.00 per month. I am still thinking about it. Mrs Squatter is the main stumbling block haha.

I spoke with Mike, and indeed his last name is Armstrong. He confirmed to me that there will be a regional meet here in Calgary in March, which will qualify me for the provincials. If I lift at a provincial, I can qualify for the nationals. He said next years nationals are in Scarborough, ON. If everythinbg goes at least close to plan, I should qualify for that one.

BTW, Mike said the regional meet will be held at that Peak Power facility.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #96
Paradox
Max Brawn

That would be awesome. Oly lifting is just plain impressive.

The CPU can always use new lifters, so that would be great! What fed is your experience in? CPF?
Old 01-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #97
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn

Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Quote:
That would be awesome. Oly lifting is just plain impressive.

The CPU can always use new lifters, so that would be great! What fed is your experience in? CPF?
Indeed. Mike invited me personally. I think very highly of him - great guy. My Crew is the IPA (Independent Powerlifting Assn.) They are affiliated with the GPC. However, many of us qualified last summer, including me, for the WPC Worlds in Vegas, which were held last November in vegas, where I hit a 507.5 total, coming in 4th in my class (Master men II 110kg)

It will be nice to lift in the CPU for sure and I'm looking forward to it.

Gym PR's:
Age 50
Old 01-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #98
Paradox
Max Brawn

I haven't been out that way yet, and I'm still pretty new to the sport, so it will be nice to meet him and the other "big wigs" of the CPU in March.

That's awesome, dude. Great accomplishment!
Old 01-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #99
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn

Quote:
I haven't been out that way yet, and I'm still pretty new to the sport, so it will be nice to meet him and the other "big wigs" of the CPU in March.

That's awesome, dude. Great accomplishment!
Thanks! I also wish you the best with your training leading up to the Nationals. I am also sure we will likely meet each other in person next year. I am confident of hitting that 535 minimum and/or leaning down to the 93kg class. I would be in the 105kg class right now.

It's looking like I will have 3 meets this spring/summer, now that I want to get involved with the CPU.

Gym PR's:
Age 50
Old 01-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #100
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
It's not that big in Canada, even now. Especially not on the East Coast. I don't even know if there are established, "successful" coaches outside of Ontario and BC.

To me, Olympic lifting builds a ridiculous strength base. I could still do powerlifting meets, as the only "accessory" work to Olympic lifting that really matters are squats. From all the jerking (in CnJs...) , a bench press would come along just "fine." Certainly not huge, but it would suffice. Oh well.
It's not big up in my area of the US either. I've never seen anyone do a clean in any gym, ever.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote