Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Training Logs (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Home gym chronicles, part 1; the great bulk (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12008)

Soldier 12-25-2012 05:26 PM

Home gym chronicles, part 1; the great bulk

Ok, I failed last time I tried to keep a log, but I think I'n finally in a position to keep up with it. I'm also going to try to log my wife's training, as our goals are similiar and I think keeping track of her numbers will help keep her motivated. Last time I kept a log my lifts were as follows;

Bench- 285, not paused
Squat- 335
Deadlift-385

I've already blasted past my old dead lift PR, and now I can pull 405 with little issue. I haven't tried 425 in a while, but that should come very soon. I'm going to be doing the bulk of my training in my home gym which consists of an adjustable bench with a leg curl/extension aparatus and a seperate rack. As of right now we don't have any safety racks, but I'm going to build some soon so I can continue to push myself to higher bench and squat numbers without a spotter, and also so I can bring partial lifts from the bottom back into my training, which is one of my favorite modifications. I only have 390lb of weights, which is an issue that will need to be resolved soon.

I'm currently doing a bulk/strength cycle, eating well over maintenance. I'm about 20lb heavier than I was in my profile pick, and I plan to continue my bulk until I can set new pr's on all 3 lifts, with the goal of reaching an 1100lb total. I also want to work hard on pull ups, so they'll be REALLY good once I cut my bodyweight back down.

I'm going to be doing a cycle of a superdrol clone as well, starting in a couple weeks. I'm planning to bulk through the 4 week cycle and my 4 week pct. I'd have no problem with reaching 240lb bodyweight as long as the gain is reflected in my lifts, then I'll cut down to low teens for bodyfat, probably 205-210lb and try to keep as much strength as possible.

Strength goals for current bulk/superdrol cycle;

Bench- 315
Squat- 365
Deadlift- 455

This would give me a total of 1135. If I'm able to keep 1100 of that after pct and a solid cut I would be ecstatic, but for now I'm just going to train and eat like a beast.

My eventual goal is to train up for Amy air assault school, which involves long, hard ruck marches, lots of running, and some hard core obstacle courses that include rope climbing. This is why I need to be low teens for bodyfat, while also developing my back and arms for climbing.

Soldier 12-25-2012 05:43 PM

Workout #1- Squat session with a focus on quads.

Shoulder width stance, atg squats-
45X8
95x5
135x5
185x5
225x3
255x3
275x2 (wanted to keep going, but without safety racks I didn't feel comfortable pushing it.)

Walking lunges-
95x10 steps per leg
95x10 steps per leg

Leg extensions-
45X25
70x20
70x20 (all done with a squeeze and hold at the top)

Squats feel good. It drives me crazy to not be able to go heavier, but I don't want to drop the weights and crack one on the concrete floor. I'll work on a safety rack asap.

Lunges will be used again, for sure. I've never felt a pushing movement that nails my glutes like these. I can actually still feel it now, hours later.

I love high rep extensions to finish my quads off. I never go heavy with them, but the pump is awesome.

EliteDreams 12-25-2012 06:36 PM

Those some strong squats for atg. Keep at it!

Soldier 12-25-2012 08:17 PM

Wife's workout #1- Bench press

45x5
55x5
65x5
75x5
80x3
75x5
65x5

I also felt good tonight, so I decided to get in a bench session. I love training twice in one day!

Wide grip bench press-
45x8
135x8
185x8
205x8
215x8 ("That one was iffy, better go back down.")
205x8
205x8
205x8
205x10

50 reps of bench press with 205+ later, I feel great! I have to watch myself when it comes to benching heavy. My shoulders aren't so great, and they start to hurt here and there when I go heavy, so I like these lighter sessions. Hopefully some solid volume will help my joints keep up with my muscles.

Soldier 12-25-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EliteDreams (Post 305050)
Those some strong squats for atg. Keep at it!

I try my friend, I try. Normally I squat wide with an emphasis on the posterior chain, and my squat is better for it, but I've found that my quad strength has suffered.

big_swede 12-25-2012 08:57 PM

Welcome back man. A good alternative for safetypins would be to attach chains or ropes or something to the ceiling, like the ones in a monolift. Depends on the ceiling though:)

Soldier 12-25-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_swede (Post 305078)
Welcome back man. A good alternative for safetypins would be to attach chains or ropes or something to the ceiling, like the ones in a monolift. Depends on the ceiling though:)

I would LOVE to attach adjustable straps to the ceiling...alas, I rent. No worries, I'm good with a saw. I'll have something together soon enough.

Oh, and thanks for the welcome back! I missed this place.

Soldier 12-25-2012 09:36 PM

Just some quick motivation. If I get through Air assault school, I get to do this;

http://armystrongstories.com/blog-as.../arassault.jpg

MikeM 12-25-2012 10:17 PM

Nice lifts, good work! Good plan. Doesn't get any better than that.

Mr.Silverback 12-25-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldier (Post 305091)
Just some quick motivation. If I get through Air assault school, I get to do this;

http://armystrongstories.com/blog-as.../arassault.jpg

Epic win!!!

And strong bench session, for you and your wife!