Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training Logs (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Full body training the old school way (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11932)

leefarley 12-16-2012 11:47 AM

Full body training the old school way

Time to start a new log for a new routine was going to start in the new year but i cant wait that long so here i go.I will be doing a full-body the old school way. The routine is taken from the reeves classic the only difference is that i have rearranged some of the exercises for my preference and i believe Arnie used to do exercises in the same sort of order in his full body days.Training this way is not all that new to me for anyone here who as looked at my old training log will know i train full body.The funny thing is when i first picked up a barbell at 17 it was old school full body routines i did for nearly 3 years,now i have learned to eat and progress with weight i want to give a another old school routine a shot.

any criticism and feedback on the routine will be welcomed.
THE ROUTINE

BB back squat 3x10
BB benchpress 3x10
BB row 3x10 - deadlift 3x5
military press or DB seated press 3x10
EZ bar curl 3x10
Dips 3x10
BB calf raise 3x20
Abs 3x20

Done 3 times a week,BB rows droped on the 3 day for deadlifts.
Dips will be weighted when 10reps can be hit on all three sets.

EliteDreams 12-16-2012 03:57 PM

Lots of work. Eat,sleep,work hard!

Hunterace 12-16-2012 04:19 PM

Good plan Lee! Personally I wouldn't do curls before dips, but that's just me. By the time you get to them youll be burned out, but to tire your arms more before doing dips would be tough for me. I'd switch the dips and curls arouind, but that's just me, I'm no expert, hopefully someone much smarter will chime in ;). Good luck, will be following!

leefarley 12-16-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunterace (Post 302148)
Good plan Lee! Personally I wouldn't do curls before dips, but that's just me. By the time you get to them youll be burned out, but to tire your arms more before doing dips would be tough for me. I'd switch the dips and curls arouind, but that's just me, I'm no expert, hopefully someone much smarter will chime in ;). Good luck, will be following!

good point, i am trying to keep it as close to the reeves classic template as i can but you have brought up a good point there i will be starting tomorrew so i will run for a few sessions then swap curls and Dips around if a find my arms to knackerd out by the curls.

CLEEPER 12-16-2012 06:56 PM

I knew it was Reeves as soon as I read the program. Keep it as written and you will see good results.

moeheep 12-16-2012 07:58 PM

Good Luck Lee, I am sure it will serve you well.

Fazc 12-17-2012 03:09 AM

That's a good routine, the only thing I would say is don't kill yourself. It's not a Westside routine, it's a Reeves BB routine. So make sure you get the most from each rep. Move quickly between each set and each exercise. Don't go crazy on the weight. If the next rep is going to be questionable, save it for next time.

Trust me, that will make a massive difference. Otherwise you'll just wear yourself out.

BendtheBar 12-17-2012 08:31 AM

I'm with Fazc on this. It took me almost 6 months to figure out fullbody workouts because I was trying to go too hard from the start. I wouldn't go weight-crazy right out the gate.

leefarley 12-17-2012 12:35 PM

thanks for the info chaps.

first workout
17/12/12

squats @ 77kg 10/10/10
benchpress @ 67kg 10/10/10
bent over row @ 67kg 10/10/8
military press @ 47kg 10/5/4 starting to knacker out couldn't get all my reps
straight bar curl @ 27kg 10/10/8
Dips @ bw 10/6/4 same thing here to tired out to get all my reps

to tired out to do calf's and abs

1 min rest between sets and 2 min rest between exercises

i went to hard out of the gate with this and f##ked up so next session i will do it as originally written by gl and i will stop being a smart ass and listen to what everyone has told me about this routine.

CLEEPER 12-17-2012 01:02 PM

I believe shoulder press is suppose to be before bench press . Better to have shoulders fresh and build those shoulders for this routine, I made huge progress with this routine running it the way it was written. Also you may have started to heavy if you started losing reps.
The biggest advantage to making this routine work is to walk into it, don't run. Give it a few weeks of gettin use to it before it becomes real work. You have to let your CNS get use to a full body before hitting it hard or you will wear out quick.

I ran this routine 2 different times for over 20 weeks each and it's truly one of the best routines for gettin in shape. Adding muscle while burning fat with this routine is not hard to do.