Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Set up is key...getting everything right just before a pull was a big difference maker for me.

Heavy sumos might be safer for your low-back but they aren't necessarily training your weakness for the conventional. Some ideas are a slight conventional reset and laser focus on form or finding an assistance move that is low-back-form intensive, like GMs, RDLs, or whatever works for you. Doesn't have to be heavy, just has to target the right area.

That said, I'd still bet there is some issue of hip mobility or hamstring strength at play. Could also be weaker hip flexors. Sometimes, the weak spot is not where you think it is.

If you think the cube-style rotation is good then keep it. If it's too much of one aspect or not enough of another consider tweaking it.

There are other increments between 385 and 405/415....consider making smaller jumps. The CNS success with smaller jumps will help you open up heavier lifts and you're less likely to overshoot and pull a muscle, etc.

Or, maybe it was just a crappy day!

That's my 2-cents...I wouldn't be surprised to get back some change.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #582
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Thanks everyone,JD,I feel ready to go now!

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #583
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

I'm in the same boat big fella. Deadlifts are just a damn finicky lift for some people, me included.

FWIW, I think you are not letting your programs work for you and are winging it too much. On the Cube you should never fail a lift, so my suspicion is that you over-reached with those singles assuming well x amount of time went by so now I should be able to do that amount of weight. I don't think it works like that especially for deadlifts.

Definitly get your form fixed up, but as important in my opinion is patience. My deadlift has barely gone 20 lbs in a year, so I know patience is a bitter pill to swallow, but I keep telling myself I will get it one day and I'm following a plan to get there.

You can do it. It will just take some more time.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #584
EliteDreams
Max Brawn

EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Great points Mike. Although,I never thought I would fail them As far as the actual Cube goes I'm just going off what I've seen in Brandons blog. I hate,hate,hate ebooks. The paper version can't come soon enough.

Soon I visit other logs

Old 02-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #585
EliteDreams
Max Brawn

What would yins think of adding some deads at,say 70% on wed and fri, or should I not mess with the program any more.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #586
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

I would not add more deadlifts from the floor, I'd pull from the floor less if anything.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #587
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I would not add more deadlifts from the floor, I'd pull from the floor less if anything.
From running the ebook, its more about a quick practice with the mainlift and heavy accessory work to make you stronger. So above post is good logic. Also, buy ebook, print ebook, voila paper ebook.
fenrisulfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #588
EliteDreams
Max Brawn

Noted,thanks again.Get some rows and RDLs in.Hesitant to order anything until i know if and when i move.

Should have bought the damn thing when it was on sale for 10 bucks past weekend.

Another thing that makes me angry,are the cocknuggets all over the road.Ooohh i hate driving.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #589
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteDreams View Post

Another thing that makes me angry,are the cocknuggets all over the road.Ooohh i hate driving.
Around here everyone drives 10 mph under the speed limit.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #590
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Bummed to hear about your deadlift woes Ben. This article by Steve has helped me alot:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/art...ng-points.html

I would keep things simple by building a strong upper back. Get stronger by maybe doing triples and some fivers. Maybe deadlift every 2nd week. A strong squat will also likely build the deadlift up. Last but not least, fly to Wisconsin for some coaching. If that's not possible, try to look up some powerlifting crews/teams/feds in your area. The Crew has been a godsend to my lifting. There are some members who drive for 4 hours one way to train with them.It's that priceless.

Other than that, work hard and never give up in your pursuit of greatness. It will come to those who really want it.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote