Old 01-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #151
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Hope all is well.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #152
kitarpyar
Max Brawn

Training Type: Fullbody
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Hope all is well.
Yup, all is well

I am having the time of my life. Enjoying the teaching process, and I like the fact that a number of kids seem to respond quite well, asking intelligent questions and doing quite well in the odd test, homeworks, and labs.

On the flip side, in addition to 3 hrs of lecture, I need to handle the lab sessions (3 hrs/week each section) for both the sections, while updating the course syllabii etc. With the PIs in our group getting into admin related roles, I also have to mentor 5 students in their research work, in addition to my own research and search for a *real* job - which means I have to basically lead 4 different research projects in our group. This adds to about 70-75 hrs work each week. Despite the long hours, its actually fun and a good training for me for a life in academia. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I made a serious commitment to taekwondo, training 2 hrs/day 3-4 days a week, and to tell the truth all the kicking left me winded and tired, but in a much better cardiovascular condition.

But now slowly I am coming to grips with the fast pace of life. We have a Program Review for one of the projects coming up - I have been asked to present our work and handle the discussions with program managers regarding research funding etc. Once i am through with this, I should be able to fit in 3 days/week lifting.
kitarpyar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:58 PM   #153
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Enjoy the fast pace man,take care.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:41 AM   #154
ravimolasaria
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Whatever makes me strong
ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!

Quote:
I made a serious commitment to taekwondo, training 2 hrs/day 3-4 days a week, and to tell the truth all the kicking left me winded and tired, but in a much better cardiovascular condition.
Great to hear about your professional working Kit ... That's great that you are involved in taekwondo despite your busy schedule ... Hope to see you hitting iron very very soon ...
Old 02-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #155
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post

I made a serious commitment to taekwondo, training 2 hrs/day 3-4 days a week, and to tell the truth all the kicking left me winded and tired, but in a much better cardiovascular condition. .
That sounds like a blast. Something I've always wanted to do with my kids just for 8-12 weeks.

Good to hear from you.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #156
kitarpyar
Max Brawn

kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
That sounds like a blast. Something I've always wanted to do with my kids just for 8-12 weeks.

Good to hear from you.
I am finding out that Taekwondo is a fun sport - and great for cardio. so far, the emphasis has been on forms and techniques, but tonight after the form work, I will start sparring as well.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #157
kitarpyar
Max Brawn

Time to work out a good weightlifting routine. I intend this routine to supplement the taekwondo work, and help me get better at the sport. The fighters in our club who lift all had one favorite exercise, which they feel have the greatest benefit in martial arts - the regular back squat.

I also saw that unlike the other beginners, I am doing much better with the punches - and I attribute this to a stronger back than the un-trained individuals. So, the pull ups and barbell rows will stay in. Squatting everyday will mean a lot less deadlifting than I would like to.

Cleans and snatches should help with overall explosiveness. Add in a pushing left each session - alternating OHP with bench, and I think my routine will be as follows -

Pull ups
Cleans or snatches
Squat (mostly back squat)
OHP or Bench
Barbell Rows

My problem area now is to develop the muscles that tie up the lumbar and the "leg lifters", i.e. the psoas muscles. Any suggestions for strengthening the psoas will be much appreciated, and I am looking forward to include those exercises in my routine as well.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:22 AM   #158
ravimolasaria
Max Brawn

ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!

Glad to see you back Kit ... hopefully you will continue your tryst with iron this time ... Have you tried hyper extensions for psoas muscles ... ?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #159
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Smash that iron Kit.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:26 AM   #160
ravimolasaria
Max Brawn

I do hope everything is going well Kit ...