Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 08-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
jaymax
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,632, Level: 31 Points: 2,632, Level: 31 Points: 2,632, Level: 31
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

jaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributor
Default Jay's Feeble Attempts at Powerbuilding

Hey guys,
thought I'd actually start a log here since I've been reading and conversing with you guys here more than anyone. I do apologize that I don't have much time to spend online which is why I don't often comment in your training logs but I do follow your progress when I find the time (Faz, Btb).

Just wanted to put that out there. Daytime is worktime and night time is wife and baby time so I squeeze in a little lifting and computer time when I can.
jaymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
jaymax
Uber Brawn

jaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributor

As I've noted in the "Increasing Strength" log I'm not a powerlifter but still someone who wants to get his raw bench, squat and deadlift as high as possible. All squats are done olympic high-bar ATG...perhaps I like to mention it becuz my numbers on them are so sad lol.

In the interest of full disclosure I'd like to come out and admit I did a very dumb thing the end of last year and ran a test prop cycle. The strength gains were awesome...then they held...then I watched them slowly go away completely to the point that almost a year later I'm right back where I started plus maybe 5-10 pounds on a few lifts.

For the past 6 months Ive been struggling with how to make gains on a 2 day per week schedule and it hasn't gone well up to this point...though the after effects of my cycle may be to blame in part.

I have a couple workouts to post later and then we'll be up to speed including
Old 08-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Good to see a log Jay, you're more than welcome here
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
jaymax
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Good to see a log Jay, you're more than welcome here
Thanks! I used to moderate on another forum but everyone there is just about DC training to the letter so there's really no talking, thinking, or sharing training ideas. This is where I belong!

Just last week I started with the 5x1, 5x5 on declines, back squats and pendlay rows. Then this weekend I got sick (not related lol) so tonight will be interesting. Dizzy and a tired with heavy singles and fives might not work so well but we'll see.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymax View Post
Daytime is worktime and night time is wife and baby time so I squeeze in a little lifting and computer time when I can.
As do we all. I don't believe its ever easy for anyone. Lifting is a total focus at times that precludes family in those few hours it's done. And wait til baby wants on computer too! It's even worse.

Rock on. It's all about the journey. We're all going to be monsters in the end. I want to know how you get there, and how that maybe helps me get there too.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Hey guys,
thought I'd actually start a log here since I've been reading and conversing with you guys here more than anyone. I do apologize that I don't have much time to spend online which is why I don't often comment in your training logs but I do follow your progress when I find the time (Faz, Btb).

Just wanted to put that out there. Daytime is worktime and night time is wife and baby time so I squeeze in a little lifting and computer time when I can.
Sounds like a fella who has his priorities straight. I don't comment on other journals much either, for fear of getting sucked into the world wide "abyss." I wish you well, jaymax. I'll poke my head in here once in a while.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
jaymax
Uber Brawn

Thanks everyone.

Last night's workout went well despite being sick as hell. I'm going on vacation for a week will post logs when I return. But last night I hit 5 singles with 360 on declines followed by 5x5 with 300...I was pleased.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
As I've noted in the "Increasing Strength" log I'm not a powerlifter but still someone who wants to get his raw bench, squat and deadlift as high as possible. All squats are done olympic high-bar ATG...perhaps I like to mention it becuz my numbers on them are so sad lol.

In the interest of full disclosure I'd like to come out and admit I did a very dumb thing the end of last year and ran a test prop cycle. The strength gains were awesome...then they held...then I watched them slowly go away completely to the point that almost a year later I'm right back where I started plus maybe 5-10 pounds on a few lifts.

For the past 6 months Ive been struggling with how to make gains on a 2 day per week schedule and it hasn't gone well up to this point...though the after effects of my cycle may be to blame in part.

I have a couple workouts to post later and then we'll be up to speed including
Glad you're logging, and on the site in general. Test prop...we are all tempted. Part of the game.

Looking forward to learning more about your training.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Good to see you set up a log. They are important to help track progress. Best of luck with your training.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
jaymax
Uber Brawn

Okay log starts as of 2 weeks ago. Before this I dinked around for too long. Messed with some 531-like workouts, 5x5 with a rest-pause on the last set etc. The good news is my strength finally stopped going down a couple months ago but bad news is it hasn't gone up lol.

Right the now the plan is a ME day with declines, back squats and pendlay rows for 5x1, 5x5. Second day is basically a lighter RE day.

Declines (very slight) 355 x 5x1, 295 x 5x5
Rows 275 x 5x1, 230 x 5x5
Back Squats 350 x 5x1, 295 x 5x5
Laterals 40x10, 30x10, 22.5x10 (drop sets)
Seated Calves 180 x 30,12,12 (rest pause)