Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Training Logs (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Jay's Feeble Attempts at Powerbuilding (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10906)

jaymax 08-22-2012 12:58 PM

Jay's Feeble Attempts at Powerbuilding

Hey guys,
thought I'd actually start a log here since I've been reading and conversing with you guys here more than anyone. I do apologize that I don't have much time to spend online which is why I don't often comment in your training logs but I do follow your progress when I find the time (Faz, Btb).

Just wanted to put that out there. Daytime is worktime and night time is wife and baby time so I squeeze in a little lifting and computer time when I can.

jaymax 08-22-2012 01:05 PM

As I've noted in the "Increasing Strength" log I'm not a powerlifter but still someone who wants to get his raw bench, squat and deadlift as high as possible. All squats are done olympic high-bar ATG...perhaps I like to mention it becuz my numbers on them are so sad lol.

In the interest of full disclosure I'd like to come out and admit I did a very dumb thing the end of last year and ran a test prop cycle. The strength gains were awesome...then they held...then I watched them slowly go away completely to the point that almost a year later I'm right back where I started plus maybe 5-10 pounds on a few lifts.

For the past 6 months Ive been struggling with how to make gains on a 2 day per week schedule and it hasn't gone well up to this point...though the after effects of my cycle may be to blame in part.

I have a couple workouts to post later and then we'll be up to speed including

Fazc 08-22-2012 01:50 PM

Good to see a log Jay, you're more than welcome here :)

jaymax 08-22-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 270394)
Good to see a log Jay, you're more than welcome here :)

Thanks! I used to moderate on another forum but everyone there is just about DC training to the letter so there's really no talking, thinking, or sharing training ideas. This is where I belong!

Just last week I started with the 5x1, 5x5 on declines, back squats and pendlay rows. Then this weekend I got sick (not related lol) so tonight will be interesting. Dizzy and a tired with heavy singles and fives might not work so well but we'll see.

MikeM 08-22-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymax (Post 270364)
Daytime is worktime and night time is wife and baby time so I squeeze in a little lifting and computer time when I can.

As do we all. I don't believe its ever easy for anyone. Lifting is a total focus at times that precludes family in those few hours it's done. And wait til baby wants on computer too! It's even worse.

Rock on. It's all about the journey. We're all going to be monsters in the end. I want to know how you get there, and how that maybe helps me get there too.

big valsalva 08-22-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymax (Post 270364)
Hey guys,
thought I'd actually start a log here since I've been reading and conversing with you guys here more than anyone. I do apologize that I don't have much time to spend online which is why I don't often comment in your training logs but I do follow your progress when I find the time (Faz, Btb).

Just wanted to put that out there. Daytime is worktime and night time is wife and baby time so I squeeze in a little lifting and computer time when I can.

Sounds like a fella who has his priorities straight. I don't comment on other journals much either, for fear of getting sucked into the world wide "abyss." I wish you well, jaymax. I'll poke my head in here once in a while.

jaymax 08-23-2012 11:45 AM

Thanks everyone.

Last night's workout went well despite being sick as hell. I'm going on vacation for a week will post logs when I return. But last night I hit 5 singles with 360 on declines followed by 5x5 with 300...I was pleased.

BendtheBar 08-23-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymax (Post 270367)
As I've noted in the "Increasing Strength" log I'm not a powerlifter but still someone who wants to get his raw bench, squat and deadlift as high as possible. All squats are done olympic high-bar ATG...perhaps I like to mention it becuz my numbers on them are so sad lol.

In the interest of full disclosure I'd like to come out and admit I did a very dumb thing the end of last year and ran a test prop cycle. The strength gains were awesome...then they held...then I watched them slowly go away completely to the point that almost a year later I'm right back where I started plus maybe 5-10 pounds on a few lifts.

For the past 6 months Ive been struggling with how to make gains on a 2 day per week schedule and it hasn't gone well up to this point...though the after effects of my cycle may be to blame in part.

I have a couple workouts to post later and then we'll be up to speed including

Glad you're logging, and on the site in general. Test prop...we are all tempted. Part of the game.

Looking forward to learning more about your training.

J_Byrd 08-23-2012 12:30 PM

Good to see you set up a log. They are important to help track progress. Best of luck with your training.

jaymax 08-29-2012 12:03 PM

Okay log starts as of 2 weeks ago. Before this I dinked around for too long. Messed with some 531-like workouts, 5x5 with a rest-pause on the last set etc. The good news is my strength finally stopped going down a couple months ago but bad news is it hasn't gone up lol.

Right the now the plan is a ME day with declines, back squats and pendlay rows for 5x1, 5x5. Second day is basically a lighter RE day.

Declines (very slight) 355 x 5x1, 295 x 5x5
Rows 275 x 5x1, 230 x 5x5
Back Squats 350 x 5x1, 295 x 5x5
Laterals 40x10, 30x10, 22.5x10 (drop sets)
Seated Calves 180 x 30,12,12 (rest pause)