Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 11-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #61
jaymax
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,632, Level: 31 Points: 2,632, Level: 31 Points: 2,632, Level: 31
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

jaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributor

Last workout I switched it up. I'm going back to a 3-day per week upper/lower split schedule. I tried Chuck Sipes' favorite bench schedule and liked it alot. I'm going to be doing this for my main lift along with accessory work with str8 sets, rest-pause or supersets depending on the exercise.

I actually contemplated sticking with the Sipes rep scheme every sessions because, by the time I get to the singles, they're not quite 90% due to the workup sets and fatigue. Part of me wants to just do it every session yet part of me thinks I might still need to deload from heavy singles....not sure.

Anyway, here's my last workout. Started a little conservatively but pretty close to max weights.

Declines 280x2x6, 300x2x4, 320x2x2, 340x3x1, Dead stop off the pins 275x9,8,7
Pendlay Rows 225x2x6, 240x2x4, 255x2x2, 270x3x1, Chins x 11,8,7
Seated Behind-the-Neck Pin Press 170 x 10,4,3 Rest-pause
EZ-Bar Blaster Curls 80+Bar x 8,8,(7,3,2 Rest-pause)
Decline Skulls 80+Bar x 8,8,(7,3,2 Rest-pause)
Partial Laterals 60 x 15,6,5 Rest-pause

Was initially going to do the lockout holds that Sipes used but thought better of it. Already probably going overboard for a cut as it is.
jaymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #62
jaymax
Uber Brawn

jaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributor

Olympic Full Squat 280x2x6, 300x2x4, 320x2x2, 340x2x1
Front Squat Dead stop from pins 225 x 10,8,8
SLDL 315 x 3x6
Calves - insane drop set
Laterals 6x6 drop set (50-25lbs)
Abs - Leg raises and crunches
Old 11-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #63
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Very impressed with your deadstop front squats.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #64
jaymax
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Very impressed with your deadstop front squats.
Really? THanks I felt like a pussy doing them lol. They are seriously brutal at the start!
Old 11-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #65
jaymax
Uber Brawn

Hey Steve,
updating this log just for you man lol. I've been doing the Chuck Sipes scheme for the past two weeks on an ABA upper lower split schedule. Last leg workout I did Deads 375 x 2x6, 400x 2x4, 425 x2x2, 450 x3x1
Leg Press, Calves etc.

Easiest singles I ever pulled at those weights. Not bad considering the workup sets fatigue.

Anyway tonight I came back to declines and crashed and burned a little. Work has been horrible! Stress and poor sleep combined with calorie restriction caught up with me this week and I felt pretty beat up. I foolishly added 5 lbs to my last weights on declines and just squeezed out the reps on the doubles, decided to cut my losses and skip the singles.

My weight is down to ~202-203 and I started around 212-213. I did a caliper test last week and tested at 10% bodyfat but that annoying lower ab fat still hangs on stubbornly. This time I'm seeing my cut thru no matter how weak I get, however. Tonight I felt weak as a kitten lol.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #66
jaymax
Uber Brawn

So Steve, here are my thoughts on future training lately. I like this 2x6, 2x4, 2x2, 3x1 Sipes scheme...maybe just because it's something new but I like working up to a reasonably high intensity in this way, even if the singles aren't quite as heavy as they'd be without working up with those heavier sets.

Now I've been hooked on the higher frequency idea for quite some time but lately I'm questioning whether it's optimal for me or not. I'm thinking of doing a main lift with the Sipes pyramid and followed with two assistance lifts each done for 3x10. The main lift could be rotated with 2-3 exercises week-week like westside likes to do.

For example, once a week per bodypart (classic bodybuilding):
Declines 2x6, 2x4, 2x2, 3x1
Inclines 3x10
DB Press 3x10

then I'd have an Arm and Shoulder day and Leg day. Leg day would include SLDL every session and possibly Floor Deads in place of a squat variation every 3rd week.

This general scheme isn't that dissimilar to 531, Westside or Kazmaier's programming

As much as I'm not a big fan of an "Arm Day" the harsh truth is my arms suck. They are only about 16 3/4" cold and look small compared to my chest, shoulders and traps. The volume is quite high (which satisfies the bodybuilder side of me) approaching 80 reps per session. But the intensity is also high. That's what I like about the once/week idea lately. It allows for a good mix of intensity and volume without worrying as much about the dreaded overtraining.

Anyway, that's where I'm at right now. Honestly I think I have another 4-6 weeks before I'm where I want to be. I think I need to get to 7-8% bodyfat to get rid of that stubborn spot. So that put me around 196 dry...maybe back up to 198-200 after water/glycogen weight regain. So 6 more weeks. I'll be pretty weak by the end of this but then it gives me room to gain a good 10-15 pounds of solid muscle before I need to worry about cutting again which, if done intelligently, could see me making some serious PR's by then.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #67
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymax View Post
Hey Steve,
updating this log just for you man lol.

Busy week, so just now checking in.

Quote:
Last leg workout I did Deads 375 x 2x6, 400x 2x4, 425 x2x2, 450 x3x1
Strong top end work.

Quote:
I did a caliper test last week and tested at 10% bodyfat but that annoying lower ab fat still hangs on stubbornly
I feel your pain. Even when I was lean my lower ab fat hated me.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #68
jaymax
Uber Brawn

Quote:
I feel your pain. Even when I was lean my lower ab fat hated me.
Yeah it's a bitch. I've yet to manage getting rid of it so this time I'm really going for it.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #69
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

How are things?

Old 02-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #70
jaymax
Uber Brawn

Quote:
How are things?
Not too bad. Stopped dieting..got down under 200 and just under 10% bodyfat and then hit a bit of a plateau while my lifts started suffering weekly so I decided to stop there. Still have a tiny bit of fat in that weird spot but otherwise clearly visible abs...it'll have to do.