Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Logs

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 09-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #31
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Good luck with the fat loss.

Quote:
While my ultimate goal is a 500lb raw bench I don't want to get too sloppy fat getting there.
Good approoch. Stay as lean as you can while building.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #32
Mr.Silverback
Max Brawn
Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member

Strong work jay, good luck with the weight loss and that is a very lively goal to shoot for! I will dropping in to check out the havoc in here

Silverback Barbell
CHECK OUT MY 1ST EBOOK
http://www.stronglife610.org
Mr.Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:37 AM   #33
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Some thoughts on fat loss and accompanying strength loss:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymax View Post
I'll attempt to at least maintain if not gain strength whilst losing weight but I've never been that successful at it in the past. That said I've typically gone with a more drastic weight loss rate and this time I'll probably keep the strength training up at fairly normal volume while planning to lose about 1 lb/week instead of twice that as I've done in the past.
Strength loss is pretty much to be expected with any major weight loss. That said, 10lbs shouldn't pose a massive problem unless you're very lean already.

The problem I see with the fast route is that people sometimes forget the bigger picture. 10 weeks to lose 10lbs of weight is a slow loss which should ensure most of your strength is kept. However if you take 4 weeks to lose 10lbs then you really ought to bank on taking the following 6 weeks to rebuild the strength you will inevitably lose. So you just have to remember the trade-off. With a drastic weight loss you're just trading the convenience of not having to diet for the full 10 weeks with having to concentrate fully on not pigging out and maintaining that weight and rebuilding your strength over the following 6 weeks.

For a larger weight loss like 25-40lbs, especially if done quickly I'd expect to have to train for a further 4-6 months to solidify that bodyweight and regain the strength I would have lost. There's always a trade-off. I don't think either way is better or worse. A lot of it will depend on your temperament and just how your own body reacts to severe as opposed to milder diets.

Often what happens is guys will do a fast weight loss over, say 4 weeks, which should have really taken 10 weeks and then freak out over lost strength, pig out to get the strength back and be no better than before. I've been there too. It's just a matter of focusing on the bigger picture.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #34
jaymax
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,632, Level: 31 Points: 2,632, Level: 31 Points: 2,632, Level: 31
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

jaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Good luck with the fat loss.
Good approoch. Stay as lean as you can while building.
Thanks that's been my battle for the past 3 years. Dieted from 255 down to 215-220 about 3 years ago but never got all the way there.
jaymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #35
jaymax
Uber Brawn

jaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Silverback View Post
Strong work jay, good luck with the weight loss and that is a very lively goal to shoot for! I will dropping in to check out the havoc in here

Silverback Barbell
THanks Silverback. 500 will fall just a question of when!
Old 09-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #36
jaymax
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Some thoughts on fat loss and accompanying strength loss:
Thanks Fazc. I've done it both ways in the past and both have their ups and downs but for where I'm at now I feel the quick approach is out of the question. The strength and muscle come far too slowly and with much greater difficulty than before. I'm figuring on 8 week or so for that 10 pound loss we'll see how it goes.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #37
jaymax
Uber Brawn

Default Looking for advice.

Hey don't know how much attention you've paid to my template here but I'm looking for input on the best way to go about the weight loss while sparing muscle and strength, training-wise.

Basically I have:
Day 1
Declines
Rows
Squats
Misc: Laterals, Calves, etc

Day 2
Inclines
Chins
Deads
Misc: Laterals, Calves, Arms

I'm thinking of each main lift for 5 sets of 5 one week alternated with singles and reps the next (3x1, 3x6 or 5x1, 1x10). Not sure if I should maybe add a light set or two of rep work for squats on Day 2 as well or maybe even DE squats.

Also I'm contemplating a week of higher volume (bodybuilding style) one week with ME work the next. In the past I've always dropped volume during a cut but now I'm wondering if a pump week alternated with a ME week wouldn't help hold onto muscle, since I'm not neglected higher intensity work and not continuing with volume to the point of overreaching.

Then there's the thought of doing more of a standard Westside template while minimizing accessory work volume. My thinking being that the DE day is easier to recover from and if I did say 5 singles followed by a set of 10 on ME day muscle loss shouldn't be a real problem.

Thoughts?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #38
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I think that looks solid.

In the past I've added a third middle day which serves as active recovery. I know you mentioned your wife would prefer you to be at home so you could do a home workout with bodyweight exercises, just some light work to further pump you up and aid recovery.

But either way, I think you got it covered. Just a matter of trying to hold onto your strength.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #39
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymax View Post
Hey don't know how much attention you've paid to my template here but I'm looking for input on the best way to go about the weight loss while sparing muscle and strength, training-wise.

Basically I have:
Day 1
Declines
Rows
Squats
Misc: Laterals, Calves, etc

Day 2
Inclines
Chins
Deads
Misc: Laterals, Calves, Arms
Looks good to me.

Quote:
I'm thinking of each main lift for 5 sets of 5 one week alternated with singles and reps the next (3x1, 3x6 or 5x1, 1x10).
Again, looks good.

Quote:
Also I'm contemplating a week of higher volume (bodybuilding style) one week with ME work the next.
As long as your body handles the volume beat downs I think it's all good. Sometimes they work me much harder than singles. As long as you get that nice balance, I think it would work.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #40
jaymax
Uber Brawn

Thanks for the input guys. I settled on 10x3 twice a week we'll see how that works.

Didn't log it but last week did Inclines and Chins for 5x5. Then hit deadlifts for an easy 10 sets of 5 with short rest period with 335 (bear style). Clearly I just had an off day the week before because the sets all went up easy and explosive again.