Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 08-31-2012, 01:39 PM   #21
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Actually doing 90% weights just once a week now on bench, rows and squats. Second day is light inclines and chins (5 sets of 8) and lighter deadlifts now (80-85%).
Sounds good. I'm doing every other 5 days and don't need to deload very often.

Quote:
but alternating from say back squats to front squats doesn't seem beneficial for me.
I've had fronts seem to help my deadlift, but if I am going to squat, I would rather just squat. Sometimes I would do wide stance high box squats for fun. I remember someone, maybe Louie, say that training with an opposite stance can help strengthen you in ways you're not used to.

Even so, I continue to get stronger with just squats. As long as that is happening, it's all I will do.

Quote:
By infrequent deloads you mean what..once a month or so?
When I was training a lift heavy and frequently (3x a week) I would deload every third week. I would bounce back pretty strong.

Now that I have dropped the frequency to every 5th day, I rarely deload. If I feel blah I usually add an extra day or two of rest in. I probably should deload once a month just for good measure, but...if training is going good, why change things.

Quote:
Also I wonder if going from 90% weights on full squats to say sets of 3-5 on half squats effectively deloads you from the 90%+ weights?
I would say so. Nothing matches up to the intensity of 90% squat singles for me.

Quote:
Same with lockouts on bench; would a 5x5 on board presses be effective to not overtrain on 90% weights on a full range bench?
I think that variation would work nice as a working deload, or a moderate day.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #22
jaymax
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,632, Level: 31 Points: 2,632, Level: 31 Points: 2,632, Level: 31
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

jaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributor
Default Crash and burn

Thanks for the input Steve.

Tonight's workout was a crash and burn for deadlifts. Wasn't feeling recovered but did the workout anyway. Had a week's vacation of being sick along with drinking and then this weekend we've had family in town for my son's 1st birthday. So there's been a fair amount of drinking and sleep deprivation. Next week I'm taking a forced deload!

Deadlift 440 x 4,3 (WTF)
Inclines 170 x 5x8
Chins BW x 8,8,8,5,5

Went to hit deadlift backoff sets and felt weirdly heavy so seems how I failed on what should have been a fairly easy set of 5 on them anyway I called the workout and quit.
jaymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:50 AM   #23
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymax View Post
Thanks for the input Steve.

Tonight's workout was a crash and burn for deadlifts. Wasn't feeling recovered but did the workout anyway. Had a week's vacation of being sick along with drinking and then this weekend we've had family in town for my son's 1st birthday. So there's been a fair amount of drinking and sleep deprivation. Next week I'm taking a forced deload!

Deadlift 440 x 4,3 (WTF)
Inclines 170 x 5x8
Chins BW x 8,8,8,5,5

Went to hit deadlift backoff sets and felt weirdly heavy so seems how I failed on what should have been a fairly easy set of 5 on them anyway I called the workout and quit.
Excess alcohol takes water out of the body, and acts as a diuretic (so-to-speak), especially after a bout of drinking in excess (for most persons anyway). This isn't a very good "bodily" environment, and dependent on diet during the week (most notably carbohydrates, to assist in retaining water being lost with alcohol), will depend on how much water/nutrients is being held in muscle tissue (as muscle is about 80 percent water), and dependent on other factors, I am not all that surprised your workout was bad, to be honest with you, young man.

However.............

Have the LOVE FOR YOUR GOAL BE STRONGER THAN ANY DISAPPOINTMENT, and you will always get up when you fall.

And, this WILL NOT be the only session in the gym in which you will have disappointment. Sometimes the body provides no valid reason (even when you look at diet, training, sleeping, and rest days, etc) for having a bad workout. They just come. However, on the flip side, some of the best workouts I have had is when I feel not quite normal, and sometimes the signal from the body is correct, and the workout like wise sucked.

One thing I do know. Even with a bad workout and trying to progress, but didn't. You are still providing the stimulus that the body needs to improve itself, and a good progressive workout WILL COME with vitality and consistency.

YOU ROCK always, and your body will pay you back, you MUST work with the good and the bad.........and be patient....

its just part of the journey.

Peace and happiness, young man,

Don

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 09-03-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #24
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Get some rest and come back strong.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #25
jaymax
Uber Brawn

jaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributor

Thanks for the support and input guys!

Declines 260 x 5x8
Rows 205 x 5x8
Hack Squats 130 x 5x8 (Back was too tweaky for back squats)
Laterals 35 x 3x10
Seated Calves 150 x 3x15

Deload week. Just going light on everything...doesn't necessarily mean easy though. Reps are a pain

Last edited by jaymax; 09-06-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #26
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Rock solid work for a deload. I'm sore reading it.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:40 AM   #27
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymax View Post
Open to thoughts and suggestions as these issues. I may not necessarily follow them but will always welcome suggestions and give them serious thought.
Rotating exercises works fantastically well
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #28
jaymax
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Rock solid work for a deload. I'm sore reading it.
I was sore doing it! I alternate benches and pendlay rows....gets rather tiring around the 4th and 5th set!
Old 09-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #29
jaymax
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Rotating exercises works fantastically well
Noted Faz...and thanks for stopping in you beast!
Old 09-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #30
jaymax
Uber Brawn

I was going to wait till january but I'm seriously considering dropping about 10 pounds over the next couple months. While I hate to do it my stubborn lower ab fat is annoying me.

I'll attempt to at least maintain if not gain strength whilst losing weight but I've never been that successful at it in the past. That said I've typically gone with a more drastic weight loss rate and this time I'll probably keep the strength training up at fairly normal volume while planning to lose about 1 lb/week instead of twice that as I've done in the past.

Thinking singles with a few backoff sets one day and maybe just a 5x5 the second day each week. Perhaps a light 5x5 or even DE work for a deload every 4th week. While my ultimate goal is a 500lb raw bench I don't want to get too sloppy fat getting there.

And Chillen...your definition is sick!