Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 08-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
jaymax
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,632, Level: 31 Points: 2,632, Level: 31 Points: 2,632, Level: 31
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

jaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributor

Deads 380 x 4x4, 430 x 2, 480 x 1.5, 380 x 10
Inclines 165 x 5x8
Chins BW x 8,8,7,5,5
Laterals 40x10, 30x10, 22.5x10 drop sets
Rope Extensions 60 x 16,7,6
Rope Hammer Curls 60 x 12,4,4
One-leg standing calves +60 x 12,6,5

Notes: Mag/Ort deadlift routine. I like doing it but don't seem to be getting any stronger on it. Thinking of dropping it soon. Inclines are light but I'm weak as hell on them for some reason, as am I on MP so thought I'd see if I can work on that. Chins never seem to go anywhere no matter what I do but mind you these are done late in the week after heavy rows and after deadlifts on this same day as well.

Lastly, my home cable system is wonky so the actual weight is much higher (weird pulley setup).
jaymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
jaymax
Uber Brawn

jaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributor

Declines (very slight) 360 x 5x1, 300 x 5x5
Rows 280 x 5x1, 235 x 5x5
Back Squats 355 x 5x1, 300 x 5x5
Laterals 42.5x10, 32.5x10, 22.5x10 (drop sets)
Seated Calves 185 x 30,12,12 (rest pause)

Good workout happy with the numbers. Started a little light last workout to give myself some room to advance. Technically this is an all-time PR over last time I tried this approach, not including the steroid phase. Was sick as hell and still did the work on made my numbers so I'm happy.

Note sure whether to do a 3/1 scheme here or what exactly I'll make it up as I go depending on how I feel or progress.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #13
jaymax
Uber Brawn

Deads 435 x 5,3,2, 335 x 10x5
Inclines 205 x 7,3,2 rest pause
Pulldown machine 240 x 13,5,4 rest pause
Laterals 40x10, 30x10, 20x10 drop sets
Bis, tris and calves: some kinda machine not worth logging

Was on vacation and went to an out of town gym. They said I could deadlift (yay). Didn't feel like trying for a PR on my deadlift on vacation so did Pavel's Bear program instead and liked it. May switch to this for a while, building to a top set of 5. The backoff 5's are so explosive once I get the bar to my knees that it's like speed work which I feel might be beneficial. Deadlifts have me stumped right now.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymax View Post
Deads 435 x 5,3,2, 335 x 10x5

Was on vacation and went to an out of town gym. They said I could deadlift (yay). Didn't feel like trying for a PR on my deadlift on vacation so did Pavel's Bear program instead and liked it. May switch to this for a while, building to a top set of 5. The backoff 5's are so explosive once I get the bar to my knees that it's like speed work which I feel might be beneficial. Deadlifts have me stumped right now.
Been a long time since I read about that one. I'm going to have to Google.

What's you best deadlift?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
jaymax
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Been a long time since I read about that one. I'm going to have to Google.

What's you best deadlift?
The Bear? The original called for a top set of 5, then another 5 at 90% of the first weight, then sets of 5 till failure with 80% of your top weight. I prefer the 532 variation and then a fixed weight for 10 sets of 5 with the backoff sets. Not too bad and you can cycle the weights this way.

Never done a deadlift max per se but I can hit a triple with 480. That 435 for 5 was meant to be a decent weight to start a cycle..can probably hit it for 7.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #16
jaymax
Uber Brawn

Default Ugh!

Declines (very slight) 365 x 5x1, 305 x 55543
Rows 285 x 5x1, 240 x 55543
Back Squats 360 x 5x1, 305 x 55543
Laterals 42.5x10, 32.5x10, 22.5x10 (drop sets)
Seated Calves 195 x 30 (miscalc'd the weight and couldn't re-rack it)

Ugh! Kinda felt this coming...was sick last week then on a vacation where I sat around and ate poorly and slept poorly. Just had a bad feeling about this workout and figured on potentially hitting my wall anyway since last week was a PR.

Last single on declines was a grinder which probably led to missing so much on my fives. The rows and squats I held back on largely due to psychology of missing the declines.

Now this was my third week in a row of heavy singles...may try to keep going and see what happens or may do something like 10x3 with 75-80% not sure yet. Also not sure about rotating exercises or not. Part of me thinks I should cycle the weights up and down instead rather than deloading or rotating exercises. Considering alternating full range and partials week-week as a way of creating exercise variation.

Open to thoughts and suggestions as these issues. I may not necessarily follow them but will always welcome suggestions and give them serious thought.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #17
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymax View Post
The Bear? The original called for a top set of 5, then another 5 at 90% of the first weight, then sets of 5 till failure with 80% of your top weight. I prefer the 532 variation and then a fixed weight for 10 sets of 5 with the backoff sets. Not too bad and you can cycle the weights this way.

Never done a deadlift max per se but I can hit a triple with 480. That 435 for 5 was meant to be a decent weight to start a cycle..can probably hit it for 7.
Ah, that rings a bell. I remember a routine that called for 10-25 drop sets with 5 reps until form slips. That sounds like it.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Open to thoughts and suggestions as these issues. I may not necessarily follow them but will always welcome suggestions and give them serious thought.
Hard to say. It took me 6 months to find a sweet spot.

I think if you are going to train 90% frequently, meaning multiple times per week, you need to frequently deload. If it's once a week I seem to handle in frequent deloads - kind of like Westside.

I find exercise rotation is more beneficial for some lifts than others. My squats, for example, go up with frequent heavy squatting. Deadlifts need more babying, and later variations don't seem to be nearly as taxing.

Not sure if that helps any.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #19
jaymax
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Ah, that rings a bell. I remember a routine that called for 10-25 drop sets with 5 reps until form slips. That sounds like it.
Yeah, AMAP until your form breaks down. Personally I found that to be around 10 sets or so. For both time management and volume management reasons I prefer to stick with a set number of sets (10) and just cycle the weights within my capacity.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #20
jaymax
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Hard to say. It took me 6 months to find a sweet spot.

I think if you are going to train 90% frequently, meaning multiple times per week, you need to frequently deload. If it's once a week I seem to handle in frequent deloads - kind of like Westside.

I find exercise rotation is more beneficial for some lifts than others. My squats, for example, go up with frequent heavy squatting. Deadlifts need more babying, and later variations don't seem to be nearly as taxing.

Not sure if that helps any.
Actually doing 90% weights just once a week now on bench, rows and squats. Second day is light inclines and chins (5 sets of 8) and lighter deadlifts now (80-85%).

I think I've noticed what you said about exercise rotation myself. Bench variations seem to carry over more but alternating from say back squats to front squats doesn't seem beneficial for me.

By infrequent deloads you mean what..once a month or so? Also I wonder if going from 90% weights on full squats to say sets of 3-5 on half squats effectively deloads you from the 90%+ weights? Technically I can use more weight but my percent effort is lower. Same with lockouts on bench; would a 5x5 on board presses be effective to not overtrain on 90% weights on a full range bench?