Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Logs

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 08-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flow View Post
Thoughts:
Quitted smoking 3 days ago. I need a cigarette.
Not easy to do. Stay strong!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
flow
Brawn
Points: 1,940, Level: 26 Points: 1,940, Level: 26 Points: 1,940, Level: 26
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

flow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Not easy to do. Stay strong!
did you smoked too steve?
flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #13
flow
Brawn

flow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good posts

Today was the heavy day:

Squat: Form work. Bar 4x5
Bench Press: 70x6/6/6/6
Cable Row: 55x 6/6/6/9
Crunch on swiss ball: 6/6/7
--------------------------
Comments:

-The length of the session is ideal. 80 minutes including warm up and rest as needed between sets.

-I really pay my dues for just occasionally training legs in my lifting career. Although its just the bar it wasnīt light either. Please forget this point.

-I really loose strength fast on the bench. MY best bench ever was 90x10 i am not a good bencher. Before my holidays I ended with 80x3x5. So I wanted to start light and go with 70kg. The first and second set was not that easy. The third set was best. Good bar speed and controll. i think my neurons catched up after the second set. The 4th set again a bit heavy. So i will leave it at 4 work sets. Ideas on progressing?

-Row felt good. As seen there is much room left but I will take it easy and increase by 2.5 kg next session. Before the holidays and my teeth op. i pulled 70x5/5/8 so still far away from Prs.
----------------------
Old 08-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #14
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Well, what matters is how you progress starting right now. You have your base and each week you will add weight. Remember form work has to be heavy enough to actually be meaningful. The added weight to the bar has the potential to throw you off, and that needs to be accounted for.

I would certainly add a couple of exercises to that session as well, there's no need to just do SQ/BP/Row. You could easily expand that to

Squat
Bench
Row
Press
Deadlift
Abs

Work a little quicker as well, 9 work sets in 80 minutes is about 10 minutes per each work set!!!!
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #15
flow
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Well, what matters is how you progress starting right now. You have your base and each week you will add weight. Remember form work has to be heavy enough to actually be meaningful. The added weight to the bar has the potential to throw you off, and that needs to be accounted for.

I would certainly add a couple of exercises to that session as well, there's no need to just do SQ/BP/Row. You could easily expand that to

Squat
Bench
Row
Press
Deadlift
Abs

Work a little quicker as well, 9 work sets in 80 minutes is about 10 minutes per each work set!!!!
Wow so fast again!!! thanks.

I rest 3-4 min between working sets and the warm up takes about 10min per exercise. That adds up.

My old template looked quite similar to what you posted which i liked but needed to cut because of time constraints.

So the purpose of the template is to concentrate on one big push, pull and squat on one day. The rest is covered on the light day.
If the weight gets really heavy after some weeks I doubt I can get deads and Presses in. But i thought to switch the emphasize the next cycle.

I would suggest 5kg increase per week on the squat and 2.5kg on bench and row.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #16
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Flow, just take the advice. Work faster, you don't need 10 minutes to warm up to the bar for Squats and there's no way you can justify that to me or yourself. And neither do you need 10 minutes to warm up to 70kg for Bench either. 2-3 minutes MAX between worksets on full body routines, 1-2 minutes on warm ups.

Bar x 10 - 2 minute rest
40-50kg x 5 - 2 minute rest
Worksets with 2-3 min rest.

You're working way too slow and with not enough work during the session. Take the advice, work faster, harder and more intensely. I'm not trying to throw you off track here, I'm trying to help.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #17
flow
Brawn

ok Fazc. I will increase the rest time when absolutetly needed and keep it shorter till then!
I think the rippetoe quote sums it up quite good:

"Again, don't overthink rest periods between sets or exercises. Move between exercises as quickly as you can, however, DO NOT compromise your performance. If you can get 5 reps after resting 2 minutes, but only 4 reps if you rest 90 seconds, then rest 2 minutes. If you need to rest 3 minutes in order to get that 5 rep set, then rest 3 minutes. If you need 7 minutes of rest before you can reasonably get the 5th rep, then take all 7 minutes. Strength and weight-on-the-bar increases are more important than your heart rate/body temp while lifting weights".

What do you mean with "not enough work"? Would you suggest to increase the sets?
I thought a volume of 24 for each lift is a good start (like 5x5)

Last edited by flow; 08-11-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:59 AM   #18
Fazc
Max Brawn

Not enough work in the sense that you're doing 15 sets in that session. 3 of those sets are ab work, 4 of those sets being the EMPTY BAR and a further 4 being a machine exercise. Only 4 of those were actually semi-useful and they were Bench Presses.

So basically that was Bench Press day.

Do you honestly not see how you're hardly doing anything? Honestly now Flow. Look at some of the sessions that people are doing on this board and then look at yours and tell me, hand on heart, you don't see something massively wrong.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #19
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flow View Post
did you smoked too steve?
In the military I was stationed at Richmond, Virginia, near Philip Morris. They would give the soldiers cartons of cigarettes for $3. We were out in the field with nothing to do, so...we smoked. Stupid decision. I had no clue how addictive they truly were.

I was going to chime in and make a few suggestions, but Fazc beat me too it.

Try to tighten up your workouts. You're running about twice as long as necessary. Also, while I do like cable rows, I think you should be using barbell or dumbbell rows right now. Lastly, your definitely need more challenging work. I say this because I really want to see you succeed and achieve results as quickly as possible.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #20
flow
Brawn

Very nice reply from both of you thanks.

The reason why I limited it to 3 main exercises on the heavy day lies in the idea that when the weights gets really heavy (for me) i WILL simply need more rest time. Because i used to be a strong smoker my condition is not THAT good and my pulse needs some time to come down.I work on this with cardio conditioning.
Its not an excuse to be lazy,just to understand my programming better.

The light day gets over fast. Here I need 60 minutes for 20 work sets and warm ups.
Thats possible because the weights are light and I just need 2 warm up sets. 50%,70% then the work sets.
For my "heavy" day. i just need longer to "feel the weights" and get warm with them. I donīt warm up with 50 reps or some bull.
To illustrate it better:

Bench:
Warm up with bar x20. 1min rest
30kgx5 1min rest
40kgx 3 1min rest
50x3 1min rest
60x2. 1 min rest
70x1 "feel set" 3 min rest
work sets
70x6 3min
70x6 3min
70x6 3min
70x6 3min
after this 5 min rest, moving to row.
-------------------------------
24min-that adds up.

I am not strong and i am sorry but the 70kg werenīt that easy for me either after the lay off.

The squat takes of course not THAT long. But here i do some mobility work and bodyweight squats beside the mirror for technique work before i start. I know the bar is BS and "girly". But i wanted to do it right from the start and take care of my health.

I have chosen the cable row because it just feels "good". again not in the sense of lazy but my lower back needs to get build up (thats why the RDL) and gets first exhausted when doing bent over rows.
I can do the cable row in strict form and feel my upper back working. thats what the row is for (IME). Its an exercise i can work save and progress good on. i always thought thats most important.
If i row 120 kg on the "machine" I donī think my upper back will regret it.
Regarding "machines" i regard cables not as machines. You can move in your planes as wanted. Machines in my sense are Hammer strength stuff (although SOME are quite good IMO) and the techno gym line and so on which really sucks. Ah and the multi press. i am not a friend of this
anyway.

i just thought to include one heavy day with the goal of weight increase,tension and rest as long as needed for full recovery.to allow for as much weight as possible for each set.
But if you think i donīt need that for progressing right know, i can adjust monday to sth like 4x6-8 and 3min or 2min rest. This way the weight drops down a bit,but i am faster and i can add more exercises.

Today was the light day 3x10-15 with 90 sec rest: the numbers in parantheses is the added weight in this session.

RDL: 25kgx10/10/28 (+5kg)
Dumbbell military press: 17.5x10/10/11 (+5kg)
Pulldown to chest: 50x10/10/10 (+5kg)
close grip bench: 40x10/10/16 (+10kg)
curl: 30x10/10/8 -regressed.
(-)
--------------------------
comments:

-In the RDL still shooted far away from the rep zone. This shows that the technique seems to get smooth. i will increase each session by 5kg. Its slow but save. And its progress.

-Military press i think i rested too short on the second set.More reps could have been possible. also here i have betten my technique. I hold the wrist in a straight line now and the dumbbells are more perpenticular to the floor. i used to pressed quite closed grip (i pressed 35kg per side this way for reps) for more tirceps involvement but this way my wrists tilted inwards. So this way is safer and i get used to the movement.

Curl: thought this would happen but donīt know why.
---------------------------------------

Last edited by flow; 08-14-2012 at 06:29 PM.