Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 08-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #61
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I "out cheap" you. My car died and I didn't get another.

Have you ever ran benches 2x in a week before?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #62
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Awesome Deadlifting and Squats! That pesky bench is right there too! So close. Great work. You'll get where you want to go soon.

And in a Trail Blazer too!

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #63
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Nice squats!!

Pissed off bench sets for the win!
Thank you, Jen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
Did the chin ups in between the benching wear you out a bit? I find as I reach the (temporary) strength ceiling, longer rests (1:30 - 2:00) and removing any supersetting helps.
I don't think so. I do those alternated sets in an extremely relaxed superset style, meaning that I bench press; change weight; get a drink of water; chinups; another drink of water; notebook; catch my breath; bench press. I also stop chinups a set or two before my heaviest benching sets. I think though that when I run my next PR attempt (about two weeks), I'll leave out the chins, and eliminate some of my warm up sets. Thank you for bringing that up.

Quote:
I like the sound of Smolov Jr - sounds suspiciously like Smirnov (although I dont think there's a Jr version of Smirnov ).
If there was one, I'm sure you'd find it.

Quote:
I am interested to see how the Smolov treats you. I always hear good things about the Smolov cycles for squat, but I have never followed along in a log where someone tried to this for bench.

Good luck bigV
I need to find a log somewhere and read up. I don't think anyone here is doing one, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I "out cheap" you. My car died and I didn't get another.

Have you ever ran benches 2x in a week before?
A fellow cheap bastard! If I didn't have so much running about to do, and if I had kept my old job, I wouldn't have gotten one either.

No, I haven't benched multiple times per week. I have done a single session of high volume (100+reps total), but never more than once per week. I'm hoping the Smolov bit will trigger something. Still, I'm open to suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Awesome Deadlifting and Squats! That pesky bench is right there too! So close. Great work. You'll get where you want to go soon.

And in a Trail Blazer too!
Thank you, Mike. That's what makes this endeavor so much fun. It is partly a mind game. Plateau to plateau. Some lifts don't feel like they'll ever stall (squats/deadlift). Other lifts require frequent "resetting." All part of the game I guess.

A quick note on the Trail Blazer. It seems as though by ditching the rusty old family van in favor of a sporty SUV, I have remarkably improved my ability to pick up girls. Yes, my 12 year old says she would be proud to be seen with me if I were to pick her up after tennis practice...

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #64
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

I just applied for college. Wait until my wife finds out!

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
Old 08-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #65
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
I just applied for college. Wait until my wife finds out!
For real? Like, for real, real?

Old 08-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #66
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
For real? Like, for real, real?
For really, real, real! In fact, I've just been notified by the admissions office at Minnesota State University - Mankato, that I'm in for Spring Semester. Fall classes start Monday and since I didn't get registered, I'll have to wait. I'm going back for (get this) Majors in Exersize Science AND Sports Management with a minor in Sports Medicine. If all goes well and my grades are up to par, I may even take a run at the Athletic Training program. For now, I've got a few months to get my ducks in a row. Of course I'm going to apply for financial aid. I'm only taking free money this time, no loans like last time. I'm sure there are a few classes I'll be able take on line, so that might not disrupt the work schedule too much. Of course, if Spring of 2013 is like Spring of 2012 at work, they could probably get by with me at 30 hours/week.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #67
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Default More Piratey Quotes from big val

More Piratey Quotes from big val

Thursday, 8/23/12

Cycle IV Wave 1 Workout C

Deadlift
145x5
185x5
220x3
255x3
290x3
330x2
355x1
395x1 - P ARRRRRRGHHHH (very ugly rep. I hadn't planned on a PR attempt, but 355 went up so nicely).
395 - fail

DB Rows
75x20

Old 08-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #68
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
For really, real, real! In fact, I've just been notified by the admissions office at Minnesota State University - Mankato, that I'm in for Spring Semester. Fall classes start Monday and since I didn't get registered, I'll have to wait. I'm going back for (get this) Majors in Exersize Science AND Sports Management with a minor in Sports Medicine. If all goes well and my grades are up to par, I may even take a run at the Athletic Training program. For now, I've got a few months to get my ducks in a row. Of course I'm going to apply for financial aid. I'm only taking free money this time, no loans like last time. I'm sure there are a few classes I'll be able take on line, so that might not disrupt the work schedule too much. Of course, if Spring of 2013 is like Spring of 2012 at work, they could probably get by with me at 30 hours/week.
Best news I've heard all week. Glad for you my friend.

Does the missus know yet?

And congrats on that deadlift. 400 coming!

Old 08-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #69
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Good news on the college. And smart about the money. Hope it works out the way you want it to.

That's an awesome deadlift there! I like the piratey sound effect too!

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #70
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Best news I've heard all week. Glad for you my friend.

Does the missus know yet?

And congrats on that deadlift. 400 coming!
Thanks, Steve. Yes, Sweetheart knows. I told her and the kids as soon as they got back from tennis the other night. Everybody is supportive, though the 12 year old is kind of creeped out because her dad is going to school too. My goal is to graduate college before she does.

Here's what brought on my decision: A few weeks ago, Minnesota State University posted an opening for Assistant Business and Production Manager in the Athletics Department. Selling tickets and putting on events. THIS IS THE EXACT SAME STUFF I DID 20 YEARS AGO, only I was with the Mankato Symphony Orchestra. Anyway, I started applying and got stuck in the middle of the process, because 1) I don't have the required BS degree, and 2) Even IF experience accounted for anything, it was so long ago as to make it impossible for references to be checked and such. So, I just gave up. Again a dream job missed out on because I don't have a flippin college degree. I may have had a chance at it, but once again, I felt completely out classed.

The exercise science portion comes from a desire to make it my job to lift weights. 'Nuff said. Plus, while I'm in school at least, I'd probably have access to a really cool weight room. 'Nuff said again.

Thanks for the kind words on the deadlift. I tell ya, I had no business trying 395. I shouldn't hav etried it at all, but I got greedy. I don't know if it would have counted in a meet, but I got it up, and that's all I wanted. Maybe 400 or 405 in a couple of weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Good news on the college. And smart about the money. Hope it works out the way you want it to.

That's an awesome deadlift there! I like the piratey sound effect too!
Thank you, Mike. It might not be the BEST time for me to get back to school, but I'm not getting any younger. It was a real bizarre sudden unctioning in my Spirit. I just up and did it. I've got a few months to get organized, maybe find a different job, or such. Also, I'm not sure how much of my current credits will carry over. We're talking 20 years since I "dropped out" to take a job in my field. Also, at the time I was going to school, we were on a quarter system. They have since changed to semester system. Could get tricky. I've got a bunch of generals out of the way plus a bunch of business classes (from my previous major) are over with. I hope there's some caryover. It might make it possible to do this on a part time basis.

The piratey sound effects also came about as a bizarre unctioning. I don't know how much longer I'll keep running that format. I'll probably quit I guess. I'm glad you liked it though.