Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 09-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #101
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post

Thank you, BtB. Going for six wheels. No belt. I've got me a case of the butterflies right now though. Trying to come up with every reason not to lift. I'll let y'all know how it comes out. I'm going to cut back a bit on my warmup sets. That should help me out in the end.
Butterflies are good, they keep you safe
Old 09-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #102
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Butterflies are good, they keep you safe
Hee...hee...hee...

Never thought of it that way before, but yes indeed, they did.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #103
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Sunday, 9/9/12

Quote:
Going for six wheels...I'll let y'all know how it comes out. I'm going to cut back a bit on my warmup sets. That should help me out in the end.
Ladies and gentlemen...I got 'em. And it felt so nice I did it twice.

My intention was to go in and TCB today. Get in. Squat. Get out. That's exactly how it went down.

Cycle IV Wave 3 Workout A

Squat
45x5
135x5
185x3
225x2
275x1
300x1
315x1- New PR!
315x1

I probably had another one in me. I probably had another 5 or 10 pounds in me. But a PR is a PR. I'll take it for today and save the excess for another time. I half thought about doing a widow maker on the leg press, but I wanted to get home and tell my wife. My other thought too is that I have two more PR attempts this week. I'm in energy conservation mode. So I came home and treated myself to two extra Pop-Tarts and an extra glass of milk. Pizza's in the oven. Half of it is mine.

What I took away from today's session is its OK to cut back on the warmup sets when attempting a PR. I didn't feel gassed for the 315, just nervous.

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)

Last edited by big valsalva; 09-09-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #104
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen...I got 'em. And it felt so nice I did it twice.

My intention was to go in and TCB today. Get in. Squat. Get out. That's exactly how it went down.

Cycle IV Wave 3 Workout A

Squat
45x5
135x5
185x3
225x2
275x1
300x1
315x1- New PR!
315x1

I probably had another one in me. I probably had another 5 or 10 pounds in me. But a PR is a PR. I'll take it for today and save the excess for another time. I half thought about doing a widow maker on the leg press, but I wanted to get home and tell my wife. My other thought too is that I have two more PR attempts this week. I'm in energy conservation mode. So I came home and treated myself to two extra Pop-Tarts and an extra glass of milk. Pizza's in the oven. Half of it is mine.

What I took away from today's session is its OK to cut back on the warmup sets when attempting a PR. I didn't feel gassed for the 315, just nervous.
3 Plates!! Viking power. Awesome session bigV
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #105
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
3 Plates!! Viking power. Awesome session bigV
Thank you, man!

Old 09-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #106
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
315x1- New PR!
315x1

I probably had another one in me. I probably had another 5 or 10 pounds in me. But a PR is a PR. I'll take it for today and save the excess for another time.
Darn proud of you. Congrats. Big step.

Also think it's wise to bank the extra weight. Louie said at some point to take your progress and get out. Better safe than greedy.

Regarding warmups, your structure looks perfect. Enough to prep the CNS without fatiguing the muscles.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #107
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

That's a big milestone! Congrats!

Great job Val!

Made me chuckle when you mentioned trying to talk yourself out of lifting. I do that too sometimes on max squat days.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #108
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Darn proud of you. Congrats. Big step.

Also think it's wise to bank the extra weight. Louie said at some point to take your progress and get out. Better safe than greedy.
Yeah, big step. Six years in the making (give or take a surgery or some other weird layoff). Goalwise from here, yeah, 405 would be nice. Realistically though at my age, I'd be really happy with a solid 365 in competition. Like I said though, I felt like I had more in me, and we'll see if the belt adds anything. I remember jslep's comments about the first time he belted up. He mentioned something like an extra 50 pounds? Anyway, I returned my oversize Elite Economy belt, but the new one hasn't arrived yet, so I wasn't able to use it today. Just as well, because I wanted this weight absolutely raw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Regarding warmups, your structure looks perfect. Enough to prep the CNS without fatiguing the muscles.
Thanks for the validation. I'm going to adhere to that philosophy for max attempts from now on. The 531 layout is cool and all, but there sure is an awful lot of volume. I may have to rethink things after Smolov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
That's a big milestone! Congrats!

Great job Val!

Made me chuckle when you mentioned trying to talk yourself out of lifting. I do that too sometimes on max squat days.
Thank you very much, Mike. I've had to drag myself in more times than I can count on squat days. What is it about squat days? I think it might be the "poop factor." I was really considering the virtues of cleaning out the garage. Something about squat days.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #109
nighttrain
Max Brawn
Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 20+
nighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beast

kick a$$ job Big V.... looking great, solid 315, 365 here you come!!! you got this man!!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #110
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain View Post
kick a$$ job Big V.... looking great, solid 315, 365 here you come!!! you got this man!!
Yep, I think so. Thank you, nighttrain.