ravimolasaria
Max Brawn
Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Whatever makes me strong
ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!

good going WB ... keep lifting ...
Old 06-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #22
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilldBill'88 View Post
@BendTheBar and IronWill, I agree I dont think I really need one. Though, I've seen alot of youtube videos of powerlifters and olympic weight lifters wear 'em, which makes me curious. But, those guys are lifting some serious weight, which may be good to keep some pressure off their back?

Another thing I been wondering about is stretching.. It seems like I've always been told you should stretch before you workout to prevent injuries, give you more muscle contraction, flexibility and full range of motion and ect.
Now, I been reading some claims that you should not stretch before lifting weights. Whats the deal here? I guess this can also go in hand whether I should wear a belt or not...
There is a point where it can help to wear a belt, but there is nothing wrong with building some strength without one. I feel good squatting 550+ without belt, but deadlifts I am starting to feel I need one on work over 600.

I would get a good one when you have the money and test it out.

Stretching...hot topic, and a confused one. Some of the heat is against the longer-ish, static stretching. Like holding a stretch for 30 seconds, etc.

I stretched for 10-15 years. Never did me any hard. Just like anything else, a little but in moderation isn't going to do you harm.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:13 AM   #23
IronWill
Max Brawn
Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

IronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beast

I do some stretching before lifting, but primarily just to loosen up. I don't do anything hardcore, just stretch the hams and quads a little and some ROM movements to get the kinks out.
IronWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #24
WilldBill88
King of The Cowboys
Max Brawn
Points: 5,489, Level: 47 Points: 5,489, Level: 47 Points: 5,489, Level: 47
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 2 Years
Fav Supp: Food
WilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beast

Before I workout I like to do jumping jacks or jump rope to get the blood pumping, then I'll do some light stretching. I only stretch about 5 minutes or less. Though the last week I haven't been stretching to see if I notice a difference. Which, I dont believe I have..

I been going over my journal here at home and been in the gym for a month now. I've increased my Deadlift by 85 pounds, Back Squat by 45 pounds and Front Squat by 40 pounds. My Bench and Shoulder Press have stayed about the same. I'll have to search for some articles around here on increasing my bench - may be a weak area for me.

Last edited by WilldBill88; 06-17-2012 at 01:14 PM.
WilldBill88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #25
IronWill
Max Brawn

IronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beast

Do you have a progression plan?
Old 06-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #26
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
I been going over my journal here at home and been in the gym for a month now. I've increased my Deadlift by 85 pounds, Back Squat by 45 pounds and Front Squat by 40 pounds. My Bench and Shoulder Press have stayed about the same. I'll have to search for some articles around here on increasing my bench - may be a weak area for me.
Good progress.

Quite a few good articles on benching:

Articles

Let us know if we can help at all.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #27
WilldBill88
King of The Cowboys
Max Brawn

WilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWill View Post
Do you have a progression plan?
I dont necessarily have a goal of how much I want to Bench, Squat or Deadlift at the time. I do however, want to keep increasing my numbers. Cause I know I wont get bigger or stronger unless I keep adding weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Good progress.

Quite a few good articles on benching:

Let us know if we can help at all.
Thanks BendtheBar, I started out Benching with a Wide Grip. I felt if I go with a wide grip I'll work my outter pectorals more to give me a more wide chest and possibly expand my rib cage so my chest is huge! One of my goals is to have a big chest. While I see some bodybuilders with shoulders and arms that over power their chest. Mark Ripptoe says guys who use a wide grip can bench a little more weight and its not an "honest" bench... Last friday I decided to go with a standard, slightly wider than shoulder width grip and could feel more of it in my triceps. Maybe, as a beginner I should go with a standard grip? I'll check out those articles tomorrow...
Old 06-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #28
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Just make sure your arms aren't flared and it's all good

Old 06-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #29
IronWill
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilldBill'88 View Post
I dont necessarily have a goal of how much I want to Bench, Squat or Deadlift at the time. I do however, want to keep increasing my numbers. Cause I know I wont get bigger or stronger unless I keep adding weight.
Goals are good to have. Yes, you have to keep adding weight (or possibly reps) to get stronger. So how do you decide when to add weight? That would be your progression plan. For instance, on my routine I am adding 5# a week. At some point I won't be able to do that anymore and I will have to revise my plan.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #30
WilldBill88
King of The Cowboys
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWill View Post
Goals are good to have. Yes, you have to keep adding weight (or possibly reps) to get stronger. So how do you decide when to add weight? That would be your progression plan. For instance, on my routine I am adding 5# a week. At some point I won't be able to do that anymore and I will have to revise my plan.
Well, I actually been trying to add 5 pounds each time or each week; depending on if I'm able to add more. So, yes I guess I do have a progression plan.