Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 05-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
Ascend
New Brawn
Points: 179, Level: 3 Points: 179, Level: 3 Points: 179, Level: 3
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Exercise: Loading Weight On The Bar
Fav Supp: NONE!!!
Ascend has made some good postsAscend has made some good postsAscend has made some good postsAscend has made some good postsAscend has made some good postsAscend has made some good postsAscend has made some good postsAscend has made some good posts
Default Ascend TraingLog I (Total Newbie)

I've never done serious exercise and definetly no training with weights. I'm 16 and have suffered from health problems in my youth involving a weak immune system and as a result wrecked lungs, causing very low capacity and serious asthma. Thus I never took part in sport or physical activity. About a month ago (end of April), after a follow-up meeting with my doctor after an operation (that happend in Feb), the doctor enquired as to why I'm not active, and informed me that my lungs are now fine for acivity, and my immune system is normal (he did the required phys. tests to make sure too). So I've seemingly outgrown my worries, and am now left without excuse for my inactivity. The last few weeks I've been busy reading books on, and researching, strength training, and I'm now ready to go at it.

So keep in mind I was pretty much as inactive as possible my whole life... This I see as a challenge and as a good thing...

A challenge because I have not had much previous muscle stimulation through exercise...

And a good thing because I am an equivalent of a blank canvas, as I have not done sport previously, as most of my friends (sport is BIG in South Africa, especially rugby amongst my culture). So I'm not conditioned to certain movements, and stressing specific muscle groups more, also, I've therefore no prior sport related injures.

I'll be training at home exclusively. Bench, Barbell, 40kg worth of weight and a beam to hang and pull myself up on. (Prison equipment).

Stats: 1.73 meters / 5.7 ft
65 kilograms / 143.3 lb

I'm starting with a 5x5 routine alternating between 2 workouts; A, B, A, B, A, - style. 3x a week. I'll start with min. weight: just the bar, and increase with the min. amount every workout, till I fail, and take it from there. I'm taking this approach because I lack even base strength, and will need to increase the weight on my bar alot, this approach also allows me to make sure my tecnique is optimal, before I start with challenging weights. I'm starting with only compounds at first: Deadlift, Bench Press, Barbell Row, Overhead Press, Squat and Pull Ups/Chin Ups.

I started this on Mon 14 May. Got flu on that Fry. Hope to continue 28 May.
I'm very motivated and afraid.

When I restart I'll update my log weekly. Any tips are welcome and wanted.

Thanks for the support thus far.

Tell me if I must provide more info.
Ascend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Best of luck hitting your goals.

Quote:
So I've seemingly outgrown my worries, and am now left without excuse for my inactivity.
Glad to see you're being proactive and hitting the weights.

Quote:
So keep in mind I was pretty much as inactive as possible my whole life... This I see as a challenge and as a good thing...
No worries. We all started at square one. You'll get nothing but encouragement.

Quote:
I'm starting with a 5x5 routine alternating between 2 workouts; A, B, A, B, A, - style. 3x a week. I'll start with min. weight: just the bar, and increase with the min. amount every workout, till I fail, and take it from there.
You won't fail. In fact, I recommend buying more weight. You'll be surprised by how fast your strength improves if you stay dedicated and eat properly. If done right you could be squatting 275 to 315 pounds after your first year.

That sounds superhuman, but it's really not. Just make sure you give as much attention to your food intake as you do to training.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-22-2012 at 11:41 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Good luck and welcome to mab!
big_swede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
themaster2981
Max Brawn
Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34 Points: 3,153, Level: 34
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Training Exp: 3 years serious
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: All
Fav Supp: Desi Ghee
themaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beastthemaster2981 is a lifting beast

Welcome Ascend.

"Move me out of the away so that someone else can lift": Ed Coan after injuring himself during a squat attempt of 970 lbs in 2002

POWERLIFTING - ABSOLUTE POWER
themaster2981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Ascend
New Brawn

Ascend has made some good postsAscend has made some good postsAscend has made some good postsAscend has made some good postsAscend has made some good postsAscend has made some good postsAscend has made some good postsAscend has made some good posts

Thanks Guys...
I'll show appreciation and respect by striving for constant results.
This is such an awesome community.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
Ascend
New Brawn

Week 1 Results:

Mon. (28 May)
= 5x5 Squats 10 kg / 22 lb
= 5x5 Bench Press 10 kg / 22 lb
= 5x5 Barbell Row 10 kg / 22 lb

Wed. (30 May)
= 5x5 Squat 15 kg / 33 lb
= 5x5 Overhead Press 10 kg / 22 lb
= 1x5 Deadlift 10 kg / 22 lb

Fry. (1 June)
= 5x5 Squat 20 kg / 44 lb
= 5x5 Bench Press 15 kg / 33 lb
= 5x5 Barbell Row 15 kg / 33 lb

* The numbers above do not include the weight of the bar, I'm not confident but I think
the bar is 7 kg / 15 lb.

Last edited by Ascend; 06-06-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Good progress. Keep taking those steps forward.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascend View Post
* The numbers above do not include the weight of the bar, I'm not confident but I think
the bar is 7 kg / 15 lb.
Nice work Ascend!

With the barbell, since you're working out at home, if you stand on the scales with the barbell and then get back on the scales without the barbell and subtract one load from the other you can get the exact weight of your barbell; if you wish. That's what I do.

The 1" barbells tend to be about 1kg per foot, so a 6' barbell will be around 6kg, a 5' bar will be around 5kg etc.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
Ascend
New Brawn

I didn't have a scale at home 5KG, but I used your advised technique when I got acceses to a friend's one, and it's 7kg. I thought it was 7 before, because the set was supposed to be 40kg and the weights only amounted to 33kg, since it was out of sight in a garage a long time, I was uncertain whether or not a plate or two could be missing. It's not a seven footer but I guess it depends on the metal used and what not. Thanks dude.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
Ascend
New Brawn

Week 2 Results:

Mon. (4 June)
= 5x5 Squat 32 kg / 71 lb
= 5x5 Overhead Press 22 kg / 49 lb
= 1x5 Deadlift 22 kg / 49 lb

Wed. (6 June)
= 5x5 Squat 37 kg / 82 lb
= 5x5 Bench Press 27 kg / 60 lb
= 5x5 Barbell Row 27 kg / 60 lb

Fry. (8 June)
= 5x5 Squat 40 kg / 88 lb
= 5x5 Overhead Press 27 kg / 60 lb
= 1x5 Deadlift 27 kg / 60 lb

* The weight progression followed a trend of 5kg increases, whilst still following this pattern the weight increases of Monday following the previous workout on Fryday have increased by an additional 7kg - as this is the weight of the barbell.