Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements > Supplement Logs
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Supplement Logs Roll your supplement logs here.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #121
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn
Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42 Points: 4,413, Level: 42
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Lard
ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain View Post
Keep DLing... it's like milk it does a body good...
Well, I'm severely lactose intolerant, so milk doesn't do this body ANY favors.

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

ElementalVirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #122
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn

ElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machineElementalVirago is a lifting machine

Ok, so yesterday. I know I really should update same day, but feh, I'm always late to everything.

First, I really think I need a new workout routine. As I said earlier I went back to my old bb.com routine because I liked it then, but now that I'm doing it again, I think it's kinda lame. Well, maybe lame is harsh but just...not enough. I like the fact that I get two leg days a week but the upper body days, it just doesn't seem like enough. Like I'll do one chest exercise, a shoulder exercise, and a bi/tri and that's it, lather rinse and repeat twice. Some days I can get through a workout in 25 minutes and I think I can make better use of the hour that I have if I do something different.

Also, BtB said the other day he didn't get big arms from curling, so I'm wondering if it'd be more effective for me to just stick to compound lifts and ix-nay the isolation moves altogether. Whaddya think? Deads, squats, bench press, shoulder press and rows FTW? Or would I be selling myself short? I would very much like to see a lot more definition in my arms/shoulders.

Interesting thing happened to me yesterday. I ran to the grocery store (well, I actually drove my car) to get some protein bars, etc. that I use for snacks. I got stuck talking to a lady in the same aisle who was asking me to help her choose a protein supplement which spiraled into helping her with diet and her workout. Eff, maybe I should go apply to work at GNC so I can get paid to help people with this stuff. Then again, most GNC employees don't know the first thing about supplements so maybe not. "What is 'nitric oxide'? I've never heard of that and I'm going to school for sports nutrition." Dood, you're failing already so give up now and go work at Burger World.

Anyway....

Upper Body

Bench Press (w/dumbbells): 60x8x3
Bent Over Dumbbell Row: 45x8 (felt too light so increased to...) 50x8 50x8
Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 30x7 25x8 25x8
Tricep Kickbacks (replaces skull crushers): 20x8x3
Single Dumbbell Curls: 20x8x3

Finished up the hour with 15 min. of stationary bike, random hill level 8.

I've decided that I really need to invest in some-a those "Versa Gripps" because I had a really hard time holding onto the 50 lb. dumbbells for my rows. If not being able to grasp weights is going to hold me back from progressing in weight, I'll just have to get them. I was thinking maybe there was a way to make my hands stronger, you know, with one of those old-fashioned spring-loaded hand grips (I can just see me sitting at my desk with those now...) because using straps or the Versa Gripps just feels like cheating to me. Like...I should work on my hand strength before I resort to straps. Thoughts?

"If someone tells you something is easy and they can't explain how to do it, it's not easy." --Steve Shaw

Old 08-03-2010, 11:42 AM   #123
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

As far as getting bigger/stronger arms without working them directly: OHP, Barbell Rows (overhand AND underhand), Pull-Ups (in all forms), and CGBP are king. I guarantee you that you will see better and faster results if you Deadlift, Squat, OHP, and Row more than you do any other movements; but you probably already know that.

As far as grip goes: chalk is a better choice than straps. The chalk will give you a tremendous amount of grip on the bar, but straps won't help your grip strength at all; even though you will be able to pull more with them.
IronManlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #124
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManlet View Post
As far as getting bigger/stronger arms without working them directly: OHP, Barbell Rows (overhand AND underhand), Pull-Ups (in all forms), and CGBP are king. I guarantee you that you will see better and faster results if you Deadlift, Squat, OHP, and Row more than you do any other movements; but you probably already know that.

As far as grip goes: chalk is a better choice than straps. The chalk will give you a tremendous amount of grip on the bar, but straps won't help your grip strength at all; even though you will be able to pull more with them.
Thanks, IM. It's not so much that the 'bells slip, more like I can't hold on to them because my fingers aren't strong enough. Maybe it's the same thing, or "6 of one, half dozen of t'other" as my dad used to say. And besides, I'm pretty sure if I used chalk at my gym, they would have a freakin' cow. I can just see everyone's reaction now... BTW, interesting to note, I have never once seen anyone else in my gym DL or squat. Not that I'm there 24/7 but still.

And thanks for the advice. Do you think that if I do isolation work on say, bi's & tri's, that I will be overworking those muscle groups because I already work them on presses and the like?

Old 08-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #125
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn

IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalVirago View Post
Do you think that if I do isolation work on say, bi's & tri's, that I will be overworking those muscle groups because I already work them on presses and the like?
Not at all. But if you really want to hit your bi's and tri's effectively, you don't need a whole lot of movements. Maybe a couple for each; and if you can work both biceps or both triceps at once, that is best. CGBP is superior to Tricep Extensions, for instance.

Also remember this: form follows function. Perfect form is not always necessary. For example, I used to be stuck at around an 80x3 BB curl and 215 BB Row for a while when I was using just strict form. But once I started incorporating cheat curls and cheat rows, my back and biceps got much stronger. Now, I can curl/row with strict form the weights I used to cheat on. As long as the form you use doesn't hurt you, and you have a legitimate reason for doing it that way, by all means go ahead.

Do you think you'll get stronger by curling 50lbs strictly or by curling 90lbs with some body english?.....................that's what I thought.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #126
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn

Quote:
Not at all. But if you really want to hit your bi's and tri's effectively, you don't need a whole lot of movements. Maybe a couple for each; and if you can work both biceps or both triceps at once, that is best. CGBP is superior to Tricep Extensions, for instance.

Also remember this: form follows function. Perfect form is not always necessary. For example, I used to be stuck at around an 80x3 BB curl and 215 BB Row for a while when I was using just strict form. But once I started incorporating cheat curls and cheat rows, my back and biceps got much stronger. Now, I can curl/row with strict form the weights I used to cheat on. As long as the form you use doesn't hurt you, and you have a legitimate reason for doing it that way, by all means go ahead.

Do you think you'll get stronger by curling 50lbs strictly or by curling 90lbs with some body english?.....................that's what I thought.
Good point, that is actually another question I've had in my head: when is "cheating" considered beneficial? I see guys in my gym all the time with horrible form and I assume it's just so they can say they lift X lbs. I can usually tell with those guys because I've never seen them before, they come in with their Abercrombie shirt on their 125-lb frame and backward baseball cap, do like 5 curls and leave. BUT...wouldn't everyone be able to say they have a "legitimate" reason for bad form/cheat lifts? I mean, when I did my 50 lb. rows yesterday my form was pretty good, not perfect, but I did it so that I can progress to a higher weight instead of staying with the lower weight/perfect form so I would consider that legit.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #127
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalVirago View Post
Good point, that is actually another question I've had in my head: when is "cheating" considered beneficial? I see guys in my gym all the time with horrible form and I assume it's just so they can say they lift X lbs. I can usually tell with those guys because I've never seen them before, they come in with their Abercrombie shirt on their 125-lb frame and backward baseball cap, do like 5 curls and leave. BUT...wouldn't everyone be able to say they have a "legitimate" reason for bad form/cheat lifts? I mean, when I did my 50 lb. rows yesterday my form was pretty good, not perfect, but I did it so that I can progress to a higher weight instead of staying with the lower weight/perfect form so I would consider that legit.
Well, you know when you're just doing it for brags or not. I have seen some BIG guys with strong backs come into my gym and do Rows with cheating; they're not weak about it, either.

If it comes down to it, you have to consider how it's working your muscles and just use common sense. There is a point when you can cheat TOO much. A BB Curl where you lunge forward and bend backward in a desperate attempt to heave up the weight is not good. You probably will not even be hitting your Biceps that hard. Same with Pull-Ups: you can swing your body a bit on the last few reps if you have to, but acting like a monkey all the time on the bars won't make your Lats any stronger.

Cheating is detrimental when it doesn't fulfill your objective; that of getting bigger or stronger. Take Rows: as long as you feel that Row in your back, and your back continues to get stronger, the form you are using is irrelevant.

Naturally, you wouldn't want to "cheat" a Bench Press. hahaha
Old 08-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #128
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn

Yesterday was a lower body day. It's weird, every time I work my lower body I feel stronger and stronger. I think I literally am. I'm already considering increasing my weights AGAIN on some of the lifts (i.e. leg extensions). And I'm trying to decrease the size of my thighs. Feh, there goes that, probably. Hahah.

Weight: 150.0

Lower Body/Abs

Squats: (warmed up w/70x5) 100x8x3
SLDL: 125x8x3
Leg Extensions: 65x8x3
Lying Leg Curls: 55x8x3 55x7 (couldn't finish that last rep)
Seated Calf Raises: 160x8x3

Lying Leg Raises & Exercise Ball Crunches: 3 sets of 15 reps each

Something a little weird happened to me too. After my second set I got a really sharp pain in my right knee (which is not my bad knee). I don't know if I torqued it a little doing the seated calf raises (I think I turned that knee in when I was resting the seat back down) but it felt like...you know what it feels like when a joint comes out of the socket a little? That's what it felt like, like a shooting pain. It didn't hurt when I bore some weight on it, only when I bent the knee in as far as it could go or if I turned the leg like I was sitting 'Indian' style. I thought I might have to shttcan my third set but then said, "Eff it, I'm going for it. What's the worst that can happen?" After some strategic stretches and testing it to make sure it could handle some weight, I did my third set of squats and it was almost as good as new. So...all you "squats are bad for your knees" people out there...squats actually popped my knee back into place! Today my knee feels totally fine, no pain whatsoever.

Today is an off day, so I'll just do some cardio, maybe some HIIT or whatever I feel like doing.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #129
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn

Good stuff, EV.

Also, your thighs won't get uber-big if you increase the weight a little. lol If anything, the increased workload will allow you to trim down your legs faster/make them stronger and leaner.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #130
ElementalVirago
Resident Poop Doctor
Max Brawn

Quote:
Good stuff, EV.

Also, your thighs won't get uber-big if you increase the weight a little. lol If anything, the increased workload will allow you to trim down your legs faster/make them stronger and leaner.
Oh Ok thanks. I naturally have bigger thighs but I HAVE seen a decrease in the jiggle factor and they do feel harder. That's always a good thing, to me anyway.