Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #11
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
My main question for you is, what is your overall goal? Strength? Aesthetics? Both? Sports? Let us know which path you are on so we can help you better. As far as your questions, here are my opinions:
Sorry I should've said. Soldier's got it below

Quote:
1. You are probably going too deep. Elbows should be parallel to the floor at max depth.
Well I've actually been going exactly parallel, I know thats the correct and safe way to do it.
Maybe I'm going lower than that without realizing however.

Quote:
2. Personally, I would keep the same weight until I hit my 5x5. If I felt like doing more that day after hitting that, then I would. This is a marathon, not a sprint. It takes years upon years to reach these types of goals. Try not to look at it as slower progress, but instead consider it more volume toward your progress. Almost like a deposit in the strength/fitness bank. No session is a wasted session unless you are unfocused.
Great comment. I think I'll stay on with it for this session then.

Quote:
3. Your legs and back are the two biggest muscle groups in the body. They often make the most noticeable gains, especially in new lifters. Tell us what you are doing for upper body and we can offer opinions as to whether or not you should tweak it.
5x5, all compound movements, full body, every other day on an A - B workout system.

To be honest, looking at what youv'e all replied with it looks like I don't really need to be changing anything.

Thanks for the advice man!
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #12
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
1. First off, being good at something doesn't necessarily mean its more or less effective. Sometimes being bad at something actually forces your body to respond MORE. As for the dips, How are you performing them? If you're too upright then they'll put strain on your shoulders. Try tucking your knees up towards your chest and looking a little down towards the ground while you do them, and keep your knees up the whole time. This will tilt your whole body forwards slightly which puts you in a better position to push. The reason I say to keep the knees tucked the whole time is that some people throw their knees down when they come up to make the movement easier, unaware that this forces their spine to be more upright which, like I said, causes horrible strain on the shoulders.
Thats a worthy note actually yeah, I'll make sure to think about my form when I do them again tonight and we'll see what happens.
Thanks for the tips.

Quote:
Are you experiencing this pain while you actually do dips or later on? If it's later on then it might not be from the dips at all. I get pretty bad aches in my shoulders from any overhead pressing and I have to be very careful about it.
Its basically just after the sets finished, not during.

I do the set, and when I step off he dip bars and take the pressure away, I get this pain in the upper right of my shoulder and chest.

Quote:
2. Adding weight is the best way to monitor progress and force adaptation, but there are other ways to do it too. If you lift the same weight but it comes more easily, then you've gotten stronger. Do the same weight again, nail your 5x5, and make that weight your bitch. That weight has owned you and forced you to fail. Show it you're the boss, get it done, then add weight next time.
Yeah, good idea. Thats what I'll do then.

Quote:
3. Big, strong legs are a good thing. The stronger your legs get, and the more weight you're moving, the more testosterone you're going to have in your veins and the bigger every muscle in your body will get. I'm sure Steve's mentioned that. Just remember that this is an ongoing process of change, and if you find that your legs actually are getting ahead of everything else then you'll be able to tweak your program and put more emphasis on your upper body.
Yeah good point. Steve has mentioned that, and I know the power squats have on all your muscles, it was just a thought they might make the rest of the workout underwhelming thats all.
I can see thats probably not the case now though, and like you said, I'll be monitoring it all the time so I can always make adjustments.
Like you told me with the fat gain before.

Quote:
But don't try to fix a problem that doesn't exist, and don't change something that's working at this point.
Great point.

Thanks for the advice as always man

- Linden
Old 08-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #13
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Agree with Soldier. A 3" gain on legs is a huge, huge, huge difference. I know you want to gain mass on your upper body, but being able to pack mass onto your lower body is like a gift from God. So many people (including me) find adding leg mass a real struggle.
Well thats good then

Quote:
Fitness models these days have much better leg development than they did ten or twenty years ago. Unless your legs are getting ridiculously big, which is unlikely at this stage, I'd count your blessings.
Yeah I got ya

Quote:
As for dips, my view is that whilst it's a great exercise, there are plenty of substitutes if it's giving you grief. Overhead press, incline pressing, close grip bench press, even flyes are all good. 95kg seems a lot, and as Ben (Elite) points out, we all tend to avoid the exercises we're weakest at, but that's not always a good thing.
Well I'm actually good at dips, thats the thing, I'm terrible at OHP, even though they're a staple of my routine.

I'll try them out again, and if there's still a significant problem I'll find a substitute.

Thanks for the advice mate.

- Linden
Old 08-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #14
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruelisla View Post
You said you feel pain in your shoulder by doing dips. Maybe your doing it wrong because the main target of dips is your tricep and lower pecs.

If you corrected your form and still feel pain when doing dips i do have an alternative. try doing wide dips. I just improvise my wide dips by putting two bars on the squat rack and do my wide dips in there. Or just try close grip bench press if your are just targeting your triceps.

About your 5x5 workout, you can try to lower your weight maybe 20 to 30percent of your 1rep max if you already failed on your 5th sets so you can recover your muscle and will avoid injury.

Yeah good idea, as I said I'll try them again and if its still bad, I'll use one of the other exercises like you mentioned.

Thanks mate

- Linden