Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast
Default Is training separately for back width and back thickness necessary?

When it comes to the back, judging by what I've been reading, there appear to be two different types of exercises.

Ones that are suited to back width, and ones for back thickness.
For example, dumbbell/barbell rows are refereed to in the bodybuilding world a back thickness exercises, while pull ups and lat pull downs with a wider grip are considered width builders.

I was wondering how much truth there is to this, and if it's necessary to train for both.
I never have, and I assume the answer to that question might depend on experience level.
The back exercises I do, are dead lift, weighted chins, and barbell/dumbbell rows.

Thanks.

- Linden
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2014, 02:06 PM   #2
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

You're already covering your bases pretty well with that selection. The back is a very complex group of many different muscles and yes, they need to be worked from a number of different directions to get full development. That doesn't mean a million different movements, you just need to be pulling from a few different angles, which you are. In a few more months maybe you switch out chins for pullups, or maybe you toss in some cable rows with different grips to supplement your free weight rows, but you don't NEED anything "more" than what you're doing now. You probably, however, will find that you respond different to different variations as you try new things.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:09 PM   #3
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

I believe this is one of the concepts in weightlifting that is overblown at best and complete bs at the worse.

I think everyone should train rows and everyone should train a vertical pulling motion (chins, pull ups, name your variant). Doing so will make your back thicker. While IMO you can't make your back wider, you can make the lats flare, and doing rows and vertical pulling will both contribute to this development.

You say you have never trained both types of motions, yet you are doing them both in your routine. So you are training them both. Continue to do so. Focus on progression. And don't sweat the small stuff.

Just one man's opinion.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #4
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

I don't train much for back width, and barely fit through a door unless I turn sideways. I credit this to deadlifts, 1 arm rowing, and heavy overhead pressing. Pressing hits my lats very hard, and so do deadlifts. So do rows for that matter, my lats are at least as sore after those as any other part of my back. Even shrugs train the lats.

The back is a mass of muscle, and while certain movements may isolate portions a little more than others, its hard to train any one part heavily without the rest getting involved. The best reason I can see to train a pull-up or pull-down is to get more stability on overhead pressing.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:32 PM   #5
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Even if you follow the words of, say, Dante Trudel, I believe what you're doing already covers width and thickness anyway. Rows and deadlifts for thickness, chins for width. Grip wasn't mentioned, last I looked.

Besides, there's no way DB rows won't hit your lats, etc., etc.

edit: Also, following on from what bruteforce said just above this post, I've matched pullups/chins to OHP for a while now, because they seem to go together well, and also, for maintaining shoulder health (pressing and pulling along the vertical, as well as the horizontal).
Old 08-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #6
andycfd
Personal Trainer
New Brawn
Points: 345, Level: 6 Points: 345, Level: 6 Points: 345, Level: 6
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 19
Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Exercise: Dumbbell presses
Fav Supp: Beer
andycfd has made some very good postsandycfd has made some very good postsandycfd has made some very good postsandycfd has made some very good postsandycfd has made some very good postsandycfd has made some very good postsandycfd has made some very good postsandycfd has made some very good postsandycfd has made some very good postsandycfd has made some very good postsandycfd has made some very good posts

What you're doing is fine. Thickness comes from the development of a variety of the muscles. You can't simply train for thickness in any body part. You seem to have your bases covered so long as you're doing them correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
When it comes to the back, judging by what I've been reading, there appear to be two different types of exercises.

Ones that are suited to back width, and ones for back thickness.
For example, dumbbell/barbell rows are refereed to in the bodybuilding world a back thickness exercises, while pull ups and lat pull downs with a wider grip are considered width builders.

I was wondering how much truth there is to this, and if it's necessary to train for both.
I never have, and I assume the answer to that question might depend on experience level.
The back exercises I do, are dead lift, weighted chins, and barbell/dumbbell rows.

Thanks.

- Linden
andycfd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #7
Biggraygrizzly
Uber Brawn
Points: 989, Level: 16 Points: 989, Level: 16 Points: 989, Level: 16

Training Exp: 32
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Beef Aminos
Biggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributor

It depends on what you are trying to achieve I for one train for a balance look to my back
so here is my current back routine:
T-Bar rows
Prone dumbbell rows
Wide grip chin-up/Close grip pull downs( Alternate weekly)
Straight arm pull downs
Seated cable rows
like I said I like the balance look of width and Thickness
I do rack pulls on my hamstring day and alternate reverse hyper or pull thoughs
Biggraygrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #8
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Thanks for the advice.

The general consensus then is that what I'm doing is fine.
It's been interesting to know other peoples opinions on this.

Never thought about OHP in that way, either.

- L
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:01 PM   #9
Biggraygrizzly
Uber Brawn
Points: 989, Level: 16 Points: 989, Level: 16 Points: 989, Level: 16

Training Exp: 32
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Beef Aminos
Biggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributorBiggraygrizzly is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Thanks for the advice.

The general consensus then is that what I'm doing is fine.
It's been interesting to know other peoples opinions on this.

Never thought about OHP in that way, either.

- L
Anytime
Biggraygrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #10
kjetil1234
New Brawn
Points: 130, Level: 2 Points: 130, Level: 2 Points: 130, Level: 2
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

kjetil1234 has made some quality postskjetil1234 has made some quality postskjetil1234 has made some quality postskjetil1234 has made some quality postskjetil1234 has made some quality postskjetil1234 has made some quality posts

My back has always been wide, and relatively narrow. But seated rows and dead stop deadlifts truly changed that and built the thickness
kjetil1234 is offline   Reply With Quote