Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:28 PM   #2001
Ironinja

Training Type: Starting Strength
Ironinja is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimmela View Post
Hey steve, in your video's you have often explained how volume (relatively high reps and sets) is the key for building the strength and muscle base for beginners. However, I have heard you say somewhere that you do not like to train with high volume for deadlifts (or something like that, I cannot remember correctly). So beginners should do high volume, hypertrophy range for squats, rows, bench press et cetera, but should the volume for deadlifts be the same or should that be lower?
Again, not steve, but If I could answer your question. Yes, The deadlift is harder to recover from than any of the other lifts. Lifts such as squats and bench press store energy as you lower the weight, similar to stretching a rubber band. So when you actually lift the weight you are using less total energy. The deadlift lacks the use of stored energy. The lowering of the weight after the deadlift can also be quite taxing on your recovery.

Even after the first rep of a row you are utilizing stored energy for your subsequent reps.
Ironinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2015, 11:29 AM   #2002
fza

fza is off to a bad start

yo steve,

i read a comment about someone who reached a 200 kg bench. He uses the same rep goal but with one difference. He starts at 3x5 reps and increases it over the weeks until he can do 3x10. So here comes the difference. He increases weight about 15%!! so he have to restart to 3x5 and then build it up to 3x10 again . I think you adivce to increase the weight only about 5 pounds. Do you think this makes a significant difference?
fza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:59 PM   #2003
Ben
Brawn

Training Exp: 1 Year
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift & Military Press
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
Ben is a consistent contributorBen is a consistent contributorBen is a consistent contributorBen is a consistent contributorBen is a consistent contributorBen is a consistent contributorBen is a consistent contributorBen is a consistent contributorBen is a consistent contributorBen is a consistent contributorBen is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fza View Post
yo steve,

i read a comment about someone who reached a 200 kg bench. He uses the same rep goal but with one difference. He starts at 3x5 reps and increases it over the weeks until he can do 3x10. So here comes the difference. He increases weight about 15%!! so he have to restart to 3x5 and then build it up to 3x10 again . I think you adivce to increase the weight only about 5 pounds. Do you think this makes a significant difference?
You are more likely to get an answer from Steve here.
Ben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:20 AM   #2004
Mars_Is

Mars_Is is off to a bad start

Hi Steve. Just saw your youtube video on guys looking to gain muscle at the age of 40 plus, and followed the link in the description here. Im not quite 40+ yet, (I turn 38 next month) but like many guys my age Ive been an office drone for the last couple decades, have poor posture, little to no muscle mass, and I'm skinny-fat. Im trying to find a decent gym in my area (manila) but I haven't lifted weights since high-school, and I'm looking for some good beginners tips on self training. Do you feel starting strength is a good guide? What should I watch out for or try to avoid? What realistically should be my expectations for my first 3 months, 6 months, 1 year etc? I'm 6'4, roughly 205 at the moment, with what I assume is a fairly high bodyfat percentage based on the size of my beer belly.
Mars_Is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:43 AM   #2005
squats_and_milk
Consistency Is Key
New Brawn

squats_and_milk is a dedicated contributorsquats_and_milk is a dedicated contributorsquats_and_milk is a dedicated contributorsquats_and_milk is a dedicated contributorsquats_and_milk is a dedicated contributorsquats_and_milk is a dedicated contributorsquats_and_milk is a dedicated contributorsquats_and_milk is a dedicated contributorsquats_and_milk is a dedicated contributorsquats_and_milk is a dedicated contributorsquats_and_milk is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars_Is View Post
Hi Steve. Just saw your youtube video on guys looking to gain muscle at the age of 40 plus, and followed the link in the description here. Im not quite 40+ yet, (I turn 38 next month) but like many guys my age Ive been an office drone for the last couple decades, have poor posture, little to no muscle mass, and I'm skinny-fat. Im trying to find a decent gym in my area (manila) but I haven't lifted weights since high-school, and I'm looking for some good beginners tips on self training. Do you feel starting strength is a good guide? What should I watch out for or try to avoid? What realistically should be my expectations for my first 3 months, 6 months, 1 year etc? I'm 6'4, roughly 205 at the moment, with what I assume is a fairly high bodyfat percentage based on the size of my beer belly.
His Q&A is here now buddy -> http://forum.tigerfitness.com/thread...e-58#post-5424