Training Logs Keep your training and supplement logs here

Old 05-23-2015, 03:13 AM   #911
yangwenbin
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Complete Chaos!
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: milk
yangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master member

Strong work,mate! Some rounding on that 500 single but if you say it doesn;t hurt, I guess it's ok... I watched you doing a 455 Sumo and a conventional with the same weight; absolutely no rounding on sumos...Could it be a flexibility issue, maybe you could try to widen up a bit your stance on conventional?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2015, 04:52 PM   #912
Hywelbane
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 8
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Condense
Hywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangwenbin View Post
Strong work,mate! Some rounding on that 500 single but if you say it doesn;t hurt, I guess it's ok... I watched you doing a 455 Sumo and a conventional with the same weight; absolutely no rounding on sumos...Could it be a flexibility issue, maybe you could try to widen up a bit your stance on conventional?
Thanks! You know I took my shirt off and recreated my form and my lower back stays arched the entire time. I think I just need to learn how to start rounded like a lot of big deadlifters. A video from Omar Isuf featuring Jeremy Hamilton goes over this type of deadlifting.

Hywelbane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:11 PM   #913
Hywelbane
Max Brawn

Hywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master member
Default Bench

Holy crap. I was feeling AWESOME today. Did a new warm-up incorporating everything I've done before and then some.

Warm-up:
Using a blue rogue fitness band I stretched out my pec/rotators.
From there I positioned the band chest level and had it push into my pec/delt tie-in and went through a lot of different motions. Did it reverse with the rear delt as well.
Scapular retractionsx10
Roll shoulders forwardx5
Roll shoulders backwardsx5
Straight-arm pushdown 70x15
Cable fly's 1x20
Cuban press 12x20
Pushups 1x15
Band pullaparts with red band 1x25
Hammer curls 25x15

Takes about 5-10 minutes and I felt absolutely awesome.

Paused Bench:
Barx15
135x10
185x5
225x3
245x1 vid
275x3 vid
295x3 vid
315x5 vid I don't think I have EVER paused 315 without a bench shirt.
Add slingshot
335x2 vid
355x2 vid
375x2 vid First rep was a little weird, I pushed back towards the rack too fast.

JM Press:
135x5
155x5
155x5
155x5

Rope pushdown:
130x12
140x12
140x12
140x12

Horizontal rows:
130x12
130x12
150x12
150x12

Hammer Curls:
25x15
25x15
25x15
25x15

Cuban press:
12x15
12x15
12x15

Band pullaparts with blue band 3x25

Gotta keep on working my shoulders like I have all week and I think I'll be good.

Tip of the year: A few sets of band pullaparts every week is not enough. Don't neglect rotator cuff work or it will hit hard. I hurt my shoulder last Sunday with 315x1 and after a week of soft tissue work, rotator work, and some ibpurofen I hit 315x5 paused today. It definitely will make a difference.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:24 PM   #914
yangwenbin
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Complete Chaos!
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: milk
yangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master member

Now you have my full attention! What are the exercises in your routine that work the rotator cuff? What do you mean by "soft tissue work", do you use the pso... the four balls with duct tape?
Very strong bench!
Old 05-24-2015, 09:26 PM   #915
Iron_Addict82
Max Brawn

Training Exp: Not enough
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Beta Alanine
Iron_Addict82 is a lifting machineIron_Addict82 is a lifting machineIron_Addict82 is a lifting machineIron_Addict82 is a lifting machineIron_Addict82 is a lifting machineIron_Addict82 is a lifting machineIron_Addict82 is a lifting machineIron_Addict82 is a lifting machineIron_Addict82 is a lifting machineIron_Addict82 is a lifting machineIron_Addict82 is a lifting machine

strong work and wise advice!
Iron_Addict82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:34 PM   #916
Hywelbane
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangwenbin View Post
Now you have my full attention! What are the exercises in your routine that work the rotator cuff? What do you mean by "soft tissue work", do you use the pso... the four balls with duct tape?
Very strong bench!
Exercises that work the rotator cuffs are cuban press (I'm going to start doing 1 light set during warm up and 3 "work" sets after workout), band pull aparts, I feel like straight bar pushdowns warm up the subscapularis, and that's about it before/after workout. I use the bands to stretch out my shoulders and work through problem areas. On off days (basically any day that doesn't precede a bench day) I'm adding in cuban presses (I have a few plates and some 15lb DB's), and use my bands to do external rotations and possible some lateral raises. Some days I'll do an entire run through of all rotator cuff functions with bands.
By soft tissue work I mean myofacial release (foam rolling). I use a Grid 2.0 foam roller, but the psoasinator could work. You would just want to try to target the rotator cuff muscles and loosen them up a bit.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:34 PM   #917
Hywelbane
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Addict82 View Post
strong work and wise advice!
Thanks!

Old 05-25-2015, 11:12 AM   #918
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20 Years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

You are most definitely the king of warming up.

Sick benching Allan. That's all I have to say.

Was a treat to watch!
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs/500X5
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:29 PM   #919
Hywelbane
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
You are most definitely the king of warming up.

Sick benching Allan. That's all I have to say.

Was a treat to watch!
I hope so! I'm sure JB's warm-up is probably way better, I think I remember him saying he had a wake up call from Donnie Thompson at some point about working his shoulders and a proper warm up. Don't quote me on that though haha.

Thanks!

Old 05-26-2015, 06:57 PM   #920
Hywelbane
Max Brawn

Default Squat

Pause Squat: I usually take the first reps and just get a nice 1 count pause or so and then make the last rep a gut check/mental toughness rep.

Barx15
135x5
225x3
275x1

315x3 vid
315x3 vid
315x3 vid Hit a 315 pause PR right here! About 10s in the hole.

Front Squats:
135x5
225x5
245x5

Was extremely sweaty and the bar was all over the place + my core was thrashed from pause squats.

Leg Curls:
85x8
100x8
115x8
130x8

Ab rollouts 3x20

KB Swings:
20x15
20x15
20x15

Nice and "easy" session. I feel the KB swings will be able to replace glute hams fairly well. And as always, ab rollouts = hell.