Old 04-26-2015, 09:20 PM   #8781
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

MEET PREP WEEK 8 BENCH AND SQUAT

Goal for this week was to work up to my 2nd attempts, but be on the "low" side of them, which I interpreted as a few lbs shy of my planned 2nd attempt.

Bench did not go well at all, and I discovered why a few hours after the session. I had a massage appointment after-wards and thank goodness i did. The therapist had to spend 90 minutes massaging all the tightness and knots out of my upper body and then there was a strain in my right pec. It hurt really bad as she worked it out. I was a bit of a train wreck.

No wonder I was loaded with weak sauce the last few sessions!!!

Here I was blaming it on my weight loss!!! That may have contributed some, but it was mainly the horrible condition of my upper body. Lower body was not far behind really.

I tell ya guys, I have the best massage therapist. Massages are so crucial and anyone of you who are not getting regular massages are likely not recovering optimally.

I have another massage and chiro scheduled for a few days before the meet and another one right after the meet. I think chiro is also important. I know many guys on the forum likely don't think so, but I prove them wrong every time I lift. I have never had an injury that was caused by lifting.

Squats felt really good and strong today, I had some forward lean, but that was due to my lower back being not recovered enough from the pulling on Thursday. I should have taken a few more days off before squatting, but I had no choice due to time constraints of the meet coming up in 2 weeks today.

I also had to make some adjustments. I had un-racking and re-racking issues due to my hooks being to high on the first single of 465. I also only hit parallel on that single. I figured it waas due to the higher heels on the Nike Romaleos. I was right. So, I switched to My Addidas on the 2nd single and hit depth. I don't want to wear Chucks as the offer no side support. So, I will wear the Addidas at the meet. The higher heels on the Romaleos are good for narrower stance squatting or for lighter weights, but not when the weights get heavy and the stance get wider. I should have known better.

Also, my weight is down another pound to 216. I am feeling pretty darn good actually. I am not going to fight the weight loss, as I actually did want to lose the weight anyways, as most of you know who follow my journal regularly know. Bad timing, but at least I do not have to stress about making weight for the weigh-in. I will try to keep the weight loss to a minimum though for the next 2 weeks. I think I have been doing a good job at that, as a pound a week is pretty good for keeping strength loss in check.

Bench was done Saturday with the crew and squats were done Sunday in the JimGym

Bench
All sets paused
135 X3
155 X2
185 X2
225 X1
275 Fail
265 X1 Epic Grinder See above for reason why

Squats
135 X1
185 X1
225 X1
275 X1
315 X1
365 X1
405 X1
445 X1
465 X1
465 X1

Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs/500X5
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2015, 01:03 AM   #8782
yangwenbin
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Complete Chaos!
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: milk
yangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master member

You pretty much convinced me to get regular massages.

Strong work on bench and squat singles! That 465 looked good!
What Addidas do you wear?
Old 04-27-2015, 01:17 AM   #8783
Dray
pretty much a bodybuilder
Max Brawn

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: bench press
Fav Supp: wpc, cmh, epa/dha, multi
Dray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite member

Great work there, Super Jim.

I think shedding a bit of extra weight won't hurt, in the long run - in fact, it might even help. I believe the body likes being efficient and ship-shape, and all that. Runs slightly better.

We're probably within a few pounds of each others' weight now, btw. I also lost a bit over some months, but could definitely afford it.

my training log
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 05:18 AM   #8784
ravimolasaria
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Whatever makes me strong
ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
MEET PREP WEEK 8 BENCH AND SQUAT
Bench
All sets paused 135 X3 155 X2 185 X2 225 X1 275 Fail 265 X1 Epic Grinder

Squats135 X1 185 X1 225 X1 275 X1 315 X1 365 X1 405 X1 445 X1 465 X1 465 X1
Superb back to back sessions super Jim ... Making Squats looks so comfortable ... keep up the great work as always ...
Old 04-27-2015, 09:18 AM   #8785
bigalfry
Víđarr
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: Beef
bigalfry is a lifting beastbigalfry is a lifting beastbigalfry is a lifting beastbigalfry is a lifting beastbigalfry is a lifting beastbigalfry is a lifting beastbigalfry is a lifting beastbigalfry is a lifting beastbigalfry is a lifting beastbigalfry is a lifting beastbigalfry is a lifting beast

I too am convinced on the massages now. I have to find a good place to go this week.

Gym PRs:
Squat 341
Bench 315
Deadlift 425
Total = 1061

Training Log:
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17327
bigalfry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:47 PM   #8786
Hywelbane
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 8
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Condense
Hywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master member

Must find a good massage therapist, could fix a lot of my lat issues.

Very strong work. You're definitely on the right track to hit 1300 at this meet. Way to push through on that 465x1.

This'll lead you into a nice carb load before the meet and destroy it!

Hywelbane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:22 PM   #8787
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Amen on the massages!

Best PL total: 1020 - 350/265/405
Current total: 905 - 315/245/345
jdmalm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:51 AM   #8788
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn

Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangwenbin View Post
You pretty much convinced me to get regular massages.

Strong work on bench and squat singles! That 465 looked good!
What Addidas do you wear?
Thanks Thomas. I do not remember what they are called lol. They are Addidas powerlifting shoes and they are fairly new with one velcro strap across the top and 3 stripes on the top of the shoe. They have a slightly raised heel. They come in about 3 or so colors like white, red, and yellow. Maybe black, but not sure.

Gym PR's:
Age 50
Old 04-28-2015, 08:59 AM   #8789
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
Great work there, Super Jim.

I think shedding a bit of extra weight won't hurt, in the long run - in fact, it might even help. I believe the body likes being efficient and ship-shape, and all that. Runs slightly better.

We're probably within a few pounds of each others' weight now, btw. I also lost a bit over some months, but could definitely afford it.
Thanks Dray. I think so too. I am tired of being a fat powerlifter anyway. Everything happens for a reason as they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravimolasaria View Post
Superb back to back sessions super Jim ... Making Squats looks so comfortable ... keep up the great work as always ...
Thanks Ravi. Those 2 squats didn't feel comfy though, but I am hoping they feel better at the meet since I will be fresh and have tighter wraps on (although tight wraps do not feel comfy haha)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalfry View Post
I too am convinced on the massages now. I have to find a good place to go this week.
They are a must for every powerlifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hywelbane View Post
Must find a good massage therapist, could fix a lot of my lat issues.

Very strong work. You're definitely on the right track to hit 1300 at this meet. Way to push through on that 465x1.

This'll lead you into a nice carb load before the meet and destroy it!
Thanks Allan!! I am hoping for anything above 475 at the meet as that would mean progression from my last meet, and 500 would be the ultimate goal. We shall see.

Carb load sounds pretty yummy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
Amen on the massages!
Indeed Sir!! and Hallelujah.

Gym PR's:
Age 50
Old 04-28-2015, 11:34 AM   #8790
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Glad you got that ironed out. On to glory!
I spend all night scared of tomorrow, only reason I aint killin, suns up, when it gets dark im back to the park, cut through the back im after the heart, creepin through your hallway with a knife, had it all planned, therapist callin me all day, I know you love it when I eat meat, I love it when the brains hit the concrete!
EliteDreams is offline   Reply With Quote