Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:40 AM   #1
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast
Default What do you think to weighted inverted rows?

Just wondering.

I found they gave me the ability to get a really good squeeze, and my back was incredibly sore the next day.

This, but with added resistance.
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2014, 06:58 AM   #2
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Here's the unavoidable caveat: Being "sore" from lifting is generally down to not being used to the lift(s) in question, the way they were done, or the weight/volume/rest periods they were done with, say (or any combination thereof). The body takes a bit of time (not long, usually) to adapt to even seemingly minor changes, and that is - most often - why we get serious "DOMS", basically. AFAIK, that is.

Anyway, that lift is legit. However, there will come a time when any amount of weight that can reliably/safely be used for that will be insufficient. Same goes for pushups, and so on.

But they're great, if you're not there yet. IMO.

edit: Depends on strength vs. body weight, essentially. As per pushups, dips, pullups, etc. As you are fairly lean (right?) they shouldn't be very demanding, so... :/

Last edited by Dray; 08-27-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Dray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:21 AM   #3
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Bodyweight movements are great to keep up your mobility and athleticism, both of which are good things even if your goals are aesthetic. But it's going to be harder to keep your steady progression going with bodyweight movements, even with things like weight vests to add weight.

I'd say if you want to bring in movements like this, just bring them in for a month or two and try to steadily increase your reps, then go back to a more controllable traditional lifting movement. Or you can use them as a high rep finisher after your biggest back day if you want to get a good burn going, but the merit of high rep finishers is arguable.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

IMO if you are going to start loading inverted rows you might as well just do barbell rows.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:58 PM   #5
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
IMO if you are going to start loading inverted rows you might as well just do barbell rows.
I've had to stop doing barbell rows recently, and I've started doing these as a substitute. They feel like different movements to me. Given the choice, for whole body strength and development, I'd choose rows every time.

However, inverted rows are quite fun to do, and as Linden mentions, you do get a great squeeze. I think they're a great rear delt exercise.

Resistance can be added - up to a point - by raising the feet on a bench.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
miked96
Max Brawn
Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

miked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master member

Rack chins. An excellent back exercise and also good behind the neck. Slow down the negative and explode up. I did alot of them when I was using a DC format for training.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rack chins.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	15667  
miked96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:16 PM   #7
BravenFenix
The Big Boss
Max Brawn
Points: 2,947, Level: 33 Points: 2,947, Level: 33 Points: 2,947, Level: 33
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 04/2013
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
BravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Just wondering.

I found they gave me the ability to get a really good squeeze, and my back was incredibly sore the next day.

This, but with added resistance.
You can get a real good squeeze from supported rows, hammer strength rows, machine rows, and anything that is light enough.

Lifts: https://www.youtube.com/user/BravenFitness

Training Log: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...304#post443304
BravenFenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:36 PM   #8
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Cheers every body.

As Tann said, they are quite fun. A change from the usual.
Guess I'll add them in for a while at some point. Like mentioned the progression issue would make it difficult for them to be a permanent thing, so I'll maybe use them to switch things up a little in a few months like you suggested.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:43 PM   #9
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Quote:
Here's the unavoidable caveat: Being "sore" from lifting is generally down to not being used to the lift(s) in question, the way they were done, or the weight/volume/rest periods they were done with, say (or any combination thereof). The body takes a bit of time (not long, usually) to adapt to even seemingly minor changes, and that is - most often - why we get serious "DOMS", basically. AFAIK, that is.
Yeah that's what initially got me interested.
Soreness equates a different stress in some form, so I thought I might be hitting my back in a slightly different way.
Good for some variation I guess.

Quote:
Anyway, that lift is legit. However, there will come a time when any amount of weight that can reliably/safely be used for that will be insufficient. Same goes for pushups, and so on.

But they're great, if you're not there yet. IMO.

edit: Depends on strength vs. body weight, essentially. As per pushups, dips, pullups, etc. As you are fairly lean (right?) they shouldn't be very demanding, so... :/
I think it's already got to that point to be honest.
I'd have to try something totally different in order to progress, because as you say, there's only so much weight you can add there before it becomes dangerous.

Cheers Dray
Old 09-26-2014, 05:10 AM   #10
Mistwraith
Brawn
Points: 395, Level: 7 Points: 395, Level: 7 Points: 395, Level: 7
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey & Creatine
Mistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good postsMistwraith has made some good posts

Lowering the bar you pull up to, and increasing the height of your feet (using a bench or something) can make the inverted row good for a long time. But, at some point you will outgrow it the same as you would outgrow pushups, and then weighted pullups and barbell rows becomes the better alternative.

I plan on doing them for a long time yet though. They are if nothing else a great finishing move (burnout) to a routine when your back is pre-exhausted.
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote