Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #681
NTF
New Brawn
Points: 475, Level: 9 Points: 475, Level: 9 Points: 475, Level: 9
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: CGBP
Fav Supp: Coffee
NTF is new to the forumNTF is new to the forumNTF is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Not sure if this helped.
It did! Thanks
NTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #682
TobesLCFC
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

If someone like you- a Natty guy who is fairly close to his genetic potential- went on the gear and built even more muscle but then came off cycle, would he lose all the drug gains? Also what kind of anabolics do powerlifters take?
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #683
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancrel View Post
it not really a plan i need to get my food intake while at work sorted, i work as an engineer on the railways in the UK and can be on track for 16 hours at a time so i fall short with getting pre made food from crappy shops to take with me, but no excuses ill have to find some good snacks to take with me on track.

I try to hit 2500 calories low carbs

omelette in a morning 2 eggs cheese and tomato

chicken, rice, baby spinach and broccoli for dinner

tuna, sweet potato and mixed veg for tea

i try to have a protein shake instead of snacking but as i say i let my self down at work, i guess i need more preparation and will power
My main worries are that you know about how many calories you are eating each day. That is the main factor that creates weight loss. With that in place an individual really doesn't need to do extra cardio.

I am not dissuading you from doing more, merely saying that it won't overcome a diet where the individual has no idea what they are eating.

The reason I asked you about diet was to see if you had an idea of what you were eating per day, and it seems you do, so that is great.

Quote:
i try to have a protein shake instead of snacking but as i say i let my self down at work, i guess i need more preparation and will power
I never prepared much. I always just made such I:

1) Got in 170 grams of protein.
2) Was in my calorie ballpark.

There really is no reason to over-prepare unless you're cutting for a show.

If the weight loss stalls for 2 weeks you may need to drop calories 200 per day, but don't do that unless completely necessary.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #684
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobesLCFC View Post
If someone like you- a Natty guy who is fairly close to his genetic potential- went on the gear and built even more muscle but then came off cycle, would he lose all the drug gains? Also what kind of anabolics do powerlifters take?
Without elevated testosterone rates, and the subsequent boost in protein synthesis rates, you lose steroid gains. You do NOT lose HGH gains.

The people that might retain steroid gains are the guys who were under their natty potential to begin with. If you add muscle, and still are at or below natty potential, I imagine there is a greater likelihood your body will keep some/most of those gains.

Powerlifters generally take much less than bodybuilders. Some of them choose to use vanity chemicals so that they look big, have a hard time gaining body fay, and stay lean. This is not to say all big and lean powerlifters you vanity chems, but I've heard rumors of several.

It might come as a surprise that many top level powerlifters use far less than people suspect. A little can go a long way in powerlifting.

This is one of the reasons that top level bodybuilders and powerlifters have muscle, but the bodybuilders have more (typically). There are certainly some big powerlifters, but most of them aren't taking anywhere near the same level of chems as top level bodybuilders.

Again, this is a highly personal thing.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #685
mohiz
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23

Training Exp: 1 yrs
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: creatine, beta-alanine
mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

Hi, I'm a subscriber of yours on Youtube, and I saw the link to this Q&A. I actually registered just for this. I hope it's okay, and I hope this is the right place to ask. If not, please excuse me

On to the subject of my question: could you critique my squat form? Any tips would be _greatly_ appreciated. My goal is to gain as much muscle as possible, and to do that I want to become as strong as I can, but I don't plan on competing. I want to develop a strong, safe and consistent form, though.

I use a pretty wide stance, because it feels stronger for me - but is it just because I'm not going as deep..? I've been thinking about moving to a slightly closer stance with the feet outwards. I also think I'm hyper-extending my lower back too much, so I need to work on that.

The video: I just deloaded so this is pretty light, but it's easier to keep the form good when using sub-maximal weights:
Paste this to youtube (I can't post links): watch?v=Gz_z1GYyrds

Don't be too hard on me, I've been training for just 10 months Thanks!
mohiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #686
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohiz View Post
Hi, I'm a subscriber of yours on Youtube, and I saw the link to this Q&A. I actually registered just for this. I hope it's okay, and I hope this is the right place to ask. If not, please excuse me
This is the place. Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
could you critique my squat form?
Sure thing. Glad to help.

Quote:
I just deloaded so this is pretty light, but it's easier to keep the form good when using sub-maximal weights
Looks good. Only this I want to encourage you to do is drive with the head, or think about driving your shoulders up into the bar from the hole, and thrust those hips forward to help your lockout.

Well done.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #687
mohiz
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23

Training Exp: 1 yrs
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: creatine, beta-alanine
mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

Thanks! Good to hear that it's looking ok. I'll work on those areas. I think I need to activate my glutes more, that should help with the hip thrust and keep the lower back in a better position as well.

If I remember correctly, you said in a video that novices should stick to a narrow stance in the squats, and I've also heard that wide stance squats are mainly for geared lifters. I sometimes kind of feel like I'm somehow "cheating" by using such a wide stance. Do you see any problem with squatting like this, when I'm obviously making good strength gains and nothing's hurting?

Keep on making those Youtube videos, they're very informative!
mohiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #688
mattb666
Brawn
Points: 844, Level: 15 Points: 844, Level: 15 Points: 844, Level: 15

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Classic
Fav Exercise: Clean&press or deadlift
Fav Supp: Red Meat
mattb666 has made some good postsmattb666 has made some good postsmattb666 has made some good postsmattb666 has made some good postsmattb666 has made some good postsmattb666 has made some good postsmattb666 has made some good postsmattb666 has made some good postsmattb666 has made some good posts

Hi steve,

Reg Parks beginners programme, the brawn abbreviated training programme and the Dinosaur training basic programme all recommend dedicated grip/ forearm work. What are your recommendations as to the best exercises to use??.
Sorry if this is a boring question.

Also what is your opinion on pullovers??. I read the articles about them on the site, they seemed to be used a lot in classic programmes like the 20 rep squat routines but dont get mentioned much now days. Why is that do you think??

Thanks man

p.s the site is great keep up the good work.
mattb666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #689
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohiz View Post
Thanks! Good to hear that it's looking ok. I'll work on those areas. I think I need to activate my glutes more, that should help with the hip thrust and keep the lower back in a better position as well.

If I remember correctly, you said in a video that novices should stick to a narrow stance in the squats, and I've also heard that wide stance squats are mainly for geared lifters. I sometimes kind of feel like I'm somehow "cheating" by using such a wide stance. Do you see any problem with squatting like this, when I'm obviously making good strength gains and nothing's hurting?

Keep on making those Youtube videos, they're very informative!
No, not cheating. But I do recommend some sort of intense quad work if you do a wider stance. Wide stances are harder to master, but easier for some.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #690
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattb666 View Post
Hi steve,

Reg Parks beginners programme, the brawn abbreviated training programme and the Dinosaur training basic programme all recommend dedicated grip/ forearm work. What are your recommendations as to the best exercises to use??.
Sorry if this is a boring question.

Also what is your opinion on pullovers??. I read the articles about them on the site, they seemed to be used a lot in classic programmes like the 20 rep squat routines but dont get mentioned much now days. Why is that do you think??

Thanks man

p.s the site is great keep up the good work.
Thanks Matt. No boring questions at all.

I've never been an advocate of direct forearm work. Generally I don't think it's needed. Most experienced lifters I know never used much if any, and they typically have well developed forearms.

With that said, there is certainly no harm in adding some if you want to try and speed up the size process.

I prefer the good, old fashioned wrist roller. The rolling action seems to hit both the top and bottom of the forearms for me.

Regarding pullovers, I'm not sold on their value. There is this notion that they increase rib-cage size, but I have never seen any science to back this. That point aside, I think they are still a valuable exercise. Most compounds lifts are.

In my experience I tend to feel them in my triceps and lats most of all. I think for someone that can't do pullups, and is using rows, pullovers might be a good addition because they can target lats as well as chest.

Where you feel pullovers can vary based on how you do them.