Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #671
TobesLCFC
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

Steve, can you explain scientifically why gaining weight is beneficial for hypertrophy? I know it is an obvious question with an obvious answer but you mentioned it in your latest video and I would like to know the science behind it. Is it something to do with increased water weight which helps you lift heavy?
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #672
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobesLCFC View Post
Steve, can you explain scientifically why gaining weight is beneficial for hypertrophy? I know it is an obvious question with an obvious answer but you mentioned it in your latest video and I would like to know the science behind it. Is it something to do with increased water weight which helps you lift heavy?
Well I am not much of a science guy on this topic, but I will give it a shot.

I can tell you that when you do eat more, it is a myth that all of it turns to fat. There was a study done on sumo wrestlers in which they analyzed body composition. If was found - and this will shock folks - that the untrained sumo wrestlers had more lean body mass than the natural bodybuilders.

This study is referenced in my interview with Casey Butt:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...tt-part-2.html

What does this mean? That food has the potential - for NATURALS - to help build a substantial amount of extra muscle tissue independent of lifting. Again, when gaining not all of it is fat gain. The body adds strength.

In addition, we've all met the "fat strong guys." I know several who never lifted and 3 months in were squatting 315 because they had monster quads. This extra muscle that most larger guys gain usually equates to more strength.

So basically, there is a happy middle ground for each of us. Undereating can restrict gains, overeating is obviously not the path either. One has to understand how to train hard, gain strength and learn expectations and adjust the aggressivity of their diet accordingly.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #673
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Now this is something I always wondered too. If you're a heavy guy carrying over 100 lbs of extra weight, like a Sumo wrestler say, wouldn't you inherently gain muscle faster simply by moving yourself around during the day? If so, wouldn't a lighter fellow gain strength simply by wearing a weight vest all day long?

So, it wouldn't be just the food intake it would be the all day long low level of training taking place too, wouldn't it? It's not like a big guy is squatting 400 lbs on a bar, but getting up off a couch 20-30 times a day would certainly add up over the course of time, like a lighter guy squatting 100+ 20-30 times a day 7days a week, wouldn't it?

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:51 PM   #674
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Now this is something I always wondered too. If you're a heavy guy carrying over 100 lbs of extra weight, like a Sumo wrestler say, wouldn't you inherently gain muscle faster simply by moving yourself around during the day? If so, wouldn't a lighter fellow gain strength simply by wearing a weight vest all day long?

So, it wouldn't be just the food intake it would be the all day long low level of training taking place too, wouldn't it? It's not like a big guy is squatting 400 lbs on a bar, but getting up off a couch 20-30 times a day would certainly add up over the course of time, like a lighter guy squatting 100+ 20-30 times a day 7days a week, wouldn't it?
One of the issues at play is how the body stores fat.

We assume that the body is like a light switch, and if we eat one extra calorie it is stored as fat. We also assume the opposite, that if we eat one fewer calorie the body burns fat.

This is an oversimplification of how the body works. If the body truly did work like this, it would constantly be playing a tug-of-war every second of the day, constantly flip-flopping between storing fat or burning fat.

The reality is that it takes several weeks of overeating for the body to transition into a very efficient fat storage unit. As the body sees a (new) consistent demand, in this case the over-consumption of food, it will slowly transition until about the 2 week period. By this time it is in full blown fat storage mode.

The question becomes, what happens in the meantime with the extra calories? Well, some of it is used to increase the size of existing muscle tissue.

For the guy who is not a chronic overeater, and has periods of binges, but overall consistent yearly weight gain, it is likely he will continue to add muscle. This certainly does not turn overeaters into bodybuilders, meaning that they look like bodybuilders, but we have all seen the bigger folks who have massive legs, arms and a barrel chest.

The chronic overeaters who just inhale inhuman amounts of calories always appear to me to be carrying slightly less muscle. This is merely my observation.

To your point, yes I believe the body would add muscle in response to the slowly increasing load it has to carry. The body is built for survival, and one can only assume that it will try to make itself more efficient at carrying that load.

So there are 2 primary factors at play here that can help create muscle gain from extra food:

1) Extra burden - body size.
2) The fact that the body doesn't stores every extra calorie as fat.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #675
Ancrel
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,526, Level: 22 Points: 1,526, Level: 22 Points: 1,526, Level: 22
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 6 months serious!
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Supp: Milk!
Ancrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributor

hey BBOD im trying to lose some bodyfat while maintaining the muscle and strength gains i have made, im walking for 1 hour every morning on an empty stomach low intensity, on my non lifting days im doint HiT for 45 mins also, is this good idea?

also you mentioned in a vid you were going to introduce 200 kettlebell swings a day for conditioning, how would yo preform these 10 sets of 20 swings or just go to failure rest and repeat till you hit 200?
Ancrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #676
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancrel View Post
hey BBOD im trying to lose some bodyfat while maintaining the muscle and strength gains i have made, im walking for 1 hour every morning on an empty stomach low intensity, on my non lifting days im doint HiT for 45 mins also, is this good idea?

also you mentioned in a vid you were going to introduce 200 kettlebell swings a day for conditioning, how would yo preform these 10 sets of 20 swings or just go to failure rest and repeat till you hit 200?
Let's start here: what does your eating plan look like?

Old 08-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #677
NTF
New Brawn
Points: 475, Level: 9 Points: 475, Level: 9 Points: 475, Level: 9
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: CGBP
Fav Supp: Coffee
NTF is new to the forumNTF is new to the forumNTF is new to the forum

How important are micro's for muscle growth?
NTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #678
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF View Post
How important are micro's for muscle growth?
Interesting question.

Our bodies are very forgiving when we are young. They can take a lot of abuse and do some amazing things even when we eat more junk than we should. Even though I eat my calories, and then some, as a 20-something, I also ate a ton of junk.

I felt great though. Until age 38-40. Then the wheels started to fall off. Fatigue. Low testosterone. Poor sleep. Insulin sensitivity.

My point here is simple...eat a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and veggies of different types and colors. Do this most days, and vary your protein sources.

Don't do this for muscle growth, but for long term health. It can only be optimal for muscle growth.

How will "sub-optimal" micronutrient intake impact growth? Well I imagine by only a small fraction. Even if it does decrease gains by 2-3-4 or 5% it will be hard to tell. Over time as a lifter accrues gains as a natural they might even catch up to an "optimal lifter." Very likely, since gains slow rapidly after 2-3 years.

So, if it's not substantially sub-optimal I wager that after 6-7-8 years they will stand nearly equivalent with a lifter eating optimally.

On the other hand, if someone lives on only junk food, I am uncertain.

Not sure if this helped.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 08-03-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #679
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
My point here is simple...eat a balance diet with plenty of fruits and veggies of different types and colors. Do this most days, and vary your protein sources.

Don't do this for muscle growth, but for long term health. It can only be optimal for muscle growth.
That right there is gold! Major props for these words to live by!
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:31 AM   #680
Ancrel
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,526, Level: 22 Points: 1,526, Level: 22 Points: 1,526, Level: 22
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 6 months serious!
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Supp: Milk!
Ancrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributorAncrel is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Let's start here: what does your eating plan look like?
it not really a plan i need to get my food intake while at work sorted, i work as an engineer on the railways in the UK and can be on track for 16 hours at a time so i fall short with getting pre made food from crappy shops to take with me, but no excuses ill have to find some good snacks to take with me on track.

I try to hit 2500 calories low carbs

omelette in a morning 2 eggs cheese and tomato

chicken, rice, baby spinach and broccoli for dinner

tuna, sweet potato and mixed veg for tea

i try to have a protein shake instead of snacking but as i say i let my self down at work, i guess i need more preparation and will power
Ancrel is offline   Reply With Quote