Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
GZeolla
Banned
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,123, Level: 18 Points: 1,123, Level: 18 Points: 1,123, Level: 18
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: Since 1973 (with breaks)
Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Organic, natural foods
GZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributor
Default Very old injury causing problems

My left wrist hurt doing chin-ups yesterday and still some today, probably from a very old injury. I broke that wrist when I was a kid, and to this day I have a hard time turning it to a full underhand position. That is why, if you look closely at a pic of me deadlifting, you’ll see my left hand is overhand and my right is underhand. Most righties use the opposite grip.

http://www.zeolla.org/images/picture...dlift_6-09.jpg

That is also why I never do straight bar curls. But chin-ups are worth doing, but I used a little heavier weight than before and might have strained it some. I should have kept my wrist wraps on, which I had just worn for inclines, but it hadn’t bothered me before on chins. But no matter as I won’t be doing chin-ups again for a while as I will be starting a new routine soon. But still it is strange how something that happened over 40 years ago can still be affecting me today.

Last edited by GZeolla; 08-05-2014 at 12:42 PM.
GZeolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2014, 02:20 AM   #2
kjetil1234
New Brawn
Points: 130, Level: 2 Points: 130, Level: 2 Points: 130, Level: 2
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

kjetil1234 has made some quality postskjetil1234 has made some quality postskjetil1234 has made some quality postskjetil1234 has made some quality postskjetil1234 has made some quality postskjetil1234 has made some quality posts
Default Very old injury causing problems

There are two muscles (mainly) that control wrist rotation.

These are the pronator teres and the supinator teres. In these issues the pronator is very strong and the supinator is WEAK, which causes the synergists to overwork and chronic tightness occurs.

Another cause is tightness in extensor Carpi ulnaris and extensor digiti minimi muscles, as they are both assist in pronation and may restrict supination. Foam roll/deep tissue massage needed.

My recommendation to you is to do forearm massages (top side, extensors close to elbow), massage the pronator teres (not possible to stretch it) and strengthen the supinator.

I'm on my phone right now, so I can't add any pictures. But you'll easily google it and find out where and what.

GL mate.

Last edited by kjetil1234; 08-06-2014 at 06:28 AM.
kjetil1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #3
GZeolla
Banned
Uber Brawn

GZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjetil1234 View Post
There are two muscles (mainly) that control wrist rotation.

These are the pronator teres and the supinator teres. In these issues the pronator is very strong and the supinator is WEAK, which causes the synergists to overwork and chronic tightness occurs.

Another cause is tightness in extensor Carpi ulnaris and extensor digiti minimi muscles, as they are both assist in pronation and may restrict supination. Foam roll/deep tissue massage needed.

My recommendation to you is to do forearm massages (top side, extensors close to elbow), massage the pronator teres (not possible to stretch it) and strengthen the supinator.

I'm on my phone right now, so I can't add any pictures. But you'll easily google it and find out where and what.

GL mate.
Thanks. But I doubt seriously it is the muscles. It is the way the bones healed. My wrist has been this way for over 40 years. I have been doing stretches and strengthening exercises for my wrists on and off throughout those years, which do nothing. Havenít tried massage though, but after all of these years, again, I doubt seriously it would do anything.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
kjetil1234
New Brawn
Points: 130, Level: 2 Points: 130, Level: 2 Points: 130, Level: 2
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

kjetil1234 has made some quality postskjetil1234 has made some quality postskjetil1234 has made some quality postskjetil1234 has made some quality postskjetil1234 has made some quality postskjetil1234 has made some quality posts

Ah, nothing I can do for you then mate. Get an MRI and speak with an orthopedic surgeon.
kjetil1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
GZeolla
Banned
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjetil1234 View Post
Ah, nothing I can do for you then mate. Get an MRI and speak with an orthopedic surgeon.
For a 40 year old injury? Thanks, but no thanks.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #6
syn
Max Brawn
Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: coffee
syn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machine

Old injury's are something that I have been contemplating a lot lately,
My right leg was broken in few places when I was a child, It seemed to heal up fine, & I played basketball & boxed from mid teens until my early 20's. but over the last few years its often injured, and is never really 100%, but I mange it with lots of foam rolling and stretching.
syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:54 AM   #7
GZeolla
Banned
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn View Post
Old injury's are something that I have been contemplating a lot lately,
My right leg was broken in few places when I was a child, It seemed to heal up fine, & I played basketball & boxed from mid teens until my early 20's. but over the last few years its often injured, and is never really 100%, but I mange it with lots of foam rolling and stretching.
That's rough. My continuing problems from my wrist are minor, especially compared to that. Good luck to you.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:11 PM   #8
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

I am an old fart with a lot of lingering injuries - some minor, many, not so much. I deal with them all by adjusting my training when something hurts too much and with a crapload of pre hab / rehab ( roller, lacrosse ball, massage, chiro)

....... I have started to work my legs unilaterally to compenstae for a limb length issue ( caused by two major leg injuries) I am hoping this helps alll the others in some way.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:12 PM   #9
brad1224
Max Brawn
Points: 5,286, Level: 46 Points: 5,286, Level: 46 Points: 5,286, Level: 46
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Cake Of Chaos Champion!
brad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machine

well shoot! 40 yrs?! prob nothing you can really do at this point.

just work around it. maybe do some neutral grip pullups? or over hand? thats the only thing i can think of.

***AAEFX REP***

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com
brad1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:47 AM   #10
GZeolla
Banned
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1224 View Post
well shoot! 40 yrs?! prob nothing you can really do at this point.

just work around it. maybe do some neutral grip pullups? or over hand? thats the only thing i can think of.
That's my assumption and plan.