Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #1701
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markojanksob View Post
What is your reason for thinking it is not needed to squat three times a week if your main goal is building muscle? If you squat three times a week your squat will progress faster than when you squat two times a week, right? Thanks for reading my question
I simply don't think it's necessary. If you are challenging yourself you need more recovery time between squat sessions, especially if you are new to squatting. If you aren't challenging yourself, why squat 3x a week?

More is not inherently better. Better is better. If you train using my programs you'll make great gains without squatting 3x a week.

Also, I like the inclusion of the leg press for quad size and strength. This trend towards minimal workouts is swinging too far to the other side, ignoring exercises that can really help lifters during their first 2 years of training.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #1702
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Got a few questions when it comes to your ebook which I bought yesterday and read last night. When it comes to most of your programs you include leg press, I do not have access to a leg press. Is a suitable alternative a dumbell/ barbell lunge? Or have you any other suggestions.
I'm looking at running the strength program but I was wondering why you don't include any straight or competition squats and whether I could incorporate them and where I would do this?
If you can't do a leg pres I would try goblet squats or hack squats. Lunges can work well if you like then and they don't bother your knees.

I like to incorporate some other form of quad builder in my programs and either of these exercises will serve you well.

You could also do leg extensions as a last resort.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #1703
sethtt
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

sethtt is new to the forumsethtt is new to the forum
Default Need Advice

Hello steve Ive been following you for a while on muscle and strength and your youtube so I know you know that you know your stuff! One of the best man! But I was wondering if you could help me out if not too busy. I'm 20 years old, about 5'7 feet and around 114-119 pounds it fluctuates but I usually just say 115 pounds . Im averaging around 1600 cal per day. Been working out about a year and a half or a little less and im currently following your 3 day power muscle burn split ( just started this week) . But right now I feel lost ! I have no idea how much to eat I want to build muscle without much if any fat. Not sure about the routine to do either or how much cardio. Like I said before I following your three day power muscle burn and enjoy it so far, but is it optimal for me to build muscle? And Ive no idea how much cardio. Plz help me if possible!
sethtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #1704
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Hi Steve.

I was wondering, just out of interest, what your view is on complete vs incomplete proteins?

I put a thread up a few months ago, and people had differing opinions on weather it mattered to make sure all your protein sources were complete, and even if such thing as an 'incomplete' protein actually existed.

Just wondered what your take was.

Thanks.

- Linden
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:03 AM   #1705
Mr.Silverback
Max Brawn
Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member

here's one I pondered with coach in the gym the other day...

"If a lifter shows up on competition day and no one shows up in his/her class, does that truly make them a winner?" Would love to hear thoughts on this!
CHECK OUT MY 1ST EBOOK
http://www.stronglife610.org
Mr.Silverback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:29 PM   #1706
Luc300
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Luc300 is new to the forumLuc300 is new to the forum
Default Sheiko programming

Hey BeardedBeast,
Im currently doing the sheiko program 29 at the moment.
However, as i needed to work slightly more on my pulling i swapped the DB flyes (i only own up to 20kg DB's so i don't want to rely on them) with bent over rows & i also swapped the walking lunges for a split squat as i am also lacking room in my home gym, and i also swapped the pushups for close grip bench just to work on my pressing a bit more.
Do you think that this is a good idea? As well as do you recommend any specific ab work for powerlifting and mobility exercises?
Luc300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:21 PM   #1707
Jhnsn8
Brawn
Points: 617, Level: 12 Points: 617, Level: 12 Points: 617, Level: 12
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Power Clean
Jhnsn8 is a dedicated contributorJhnsn8 is a dedicated contributorJhnsn8 is a dedicated contributorJhnsn8 is a dedicated contributorJhnsn8 is a dedicated contributorJhnsn8 is a dedicated contributorJhnsn8 is a dedicated contributorJhnsn8 is a dedicated contributorJhnsn8 is a dedicated contributorJhnsn8 is a dedicated contributorJhnsn8 is a dedicated contributor

Hi Steve,you see my Workout schedule on my thread but i wanna asking this,Powercleans first,after deadlift.. 2 pull exercise back to back,is this a bad idea ?

http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...t=17586&page=3

Did you make any changes, though?

Thank you
Jhnsn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #1708
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethtt View Post
Hello steve Ive been following you for a while on muscle and strength and your youtube so I know you know that you know your stuff! One of the best man! But I was wondering if you could help me out if not too busy. I'm 20 years old, about 5'7 feet and around 114-119 pounds it fluctuates but I usually just say 115 pounds . Im averaging around 1600 cal per day. Been working out about a year and a half or a little less and im currently following your 3 day power muscle burn split ( just started this week) . But right now I feel lost ! I have no idea how much to eat I want to build muscle without much if any fat. Not sure about the routine to do either or how much cardio. Like I said before I following your three day power muscle burn and enjoy it so far, but is it optimal for me to build muscle? And Ive no idea how much cardio. Plz help me if possible!
Thanks for the kind words.

For the first year you need to eat right now until you are gaining about 2-3 pounds per month. Start at 3000 calories per day and watch that for one month. If you are not gaining, add more.

You are not fat and have little likelihood of getting fat. Instead, focus on getting as strong as humanly possible while slowly gaining weight. If you do this, you will look amazing at 180. If you don't get strong you WILL look sloppy at 180. Most guys fail at bulking because they don't concentrate on progression.

Cardio, you need only several 20 minute sessions per week for health. As far as workouts, Pick one that motivates you to lift consistently, preferably a fullbody for the first 6 months. Workouts aren't as important as progression.

Check out my new book for more info.

If you gain weight without getting strong you get fat. That is what YOU control.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #1709
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Hi Steve.

I was wondering, just out of interest, what your view is on complete vs incomplete proteins?

I put a thread up a few months ago, and people had differing opinions on weather it mattered to make sure all your protein sources were complete, and even if such thing as an 'incomplete' protein actually existed.

Just wondered what your take was.

Thanks.

- Linden

My only advice is to eat what you can when you can. We can't always eat what we want when we want. I eat optimally when time and budget allows. In the mean time I eat what I can afford.

Get strong. It conquers all! Vary your protein sources when you can.

You get strong and you will grow.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #1710
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Silverback View Post
here's one I pondered with coach in the gym the other day...

"If a lifter shows up on competition day and no one shows up in his/her class, does that truly make them a winner?" Would love to hear thoughts on this!
Training and seeing it through is winning in my book. It's a winner's mentality. Wanting to improve is a winner's mentality. Losers find ways to quit or make things easier, or make excuses for not seeing things through.

I personally value effort more than results. Effort can lead to results, but lack of effort rarely yields results.