Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Articles
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Articles Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, Nutrition, Supplement Articles.

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Old
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Diet is 90%
by BendtheBar 08-02-2013, 12:54 AM

A couple of things.

1) Diet is not 90%. Your training effort and the subsequent eating plan that backs it up are not variables that must add up to 100%. Training and food are in a symbiotic relationship; one fuels the other, and requires the other. They must both be sensible and structured so that they are focused upon the same goal.

If it truly was a percentage, I would say training is 90%. Controversial? Well I've seen many lifters eat crap, not count anything and still make great gains. So with good training their is at least a quality potential for gains. On the other hand, you can have a perfect diet, but if your training is inconsistent and lacking overload, it won't matter much. You might feel healthier, but your results will be virtually non-existent.

2) Too many beginning lifters are FAR too obsessed with micromanaging their macronutrients. They know every gram of protein, carbs and fats they eat per day, but have no idea what a progression scheme is.

This is backwards.

You need to obsess more about progression; live for it, know what you have made and what you expect. You need to know numbers. You need to know when to add weight.

--Bench press - 3x8 is not a workout. It's a "to do" list. It tells me nothing about when/how you progress. The industry has been feeding you this nonsense for far too many decades, giving you a car with no engine.

3 sets by 8 reps could be worked in hundreds of ways. If you do not know exactly when you are to be adding weight to the bar, and how hard to be pushing on each set, you're wasting sets - workouts - and time.

Obsess about your training first. Then back it up with food. And guess what? If you're not cutting for a bodybuilding show, there's a good chance you will never have to count macronutrients.

Regarding nutrition, I have made sure of 2 things over the years:

1) That I intake a minimum level of X grams of protein.
2) That I intake a minimum level of Y calories.

This minimalist attention to nutrition has never let me down, and it is really all you need unless you start cutting for a show.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diet-9.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	13700  

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-26-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Views 926 Comments 14
Sponsored Links
Total Comments 14

Comments

Old 08-02-2013, 02:59 AM   #2
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
2) Too many beginning lifters are FAR too obsessed with micromanaging their macronutrients. They know every gram of protein, carbs and fats they eat per day, but have no idea what a progression scheme is.
Damn right. If you want to gain, eat everything, if you want to lose, eat clean 90% of the time and do conditioning.

Its not rocket science and the macro-counting done by 200lb squatters are such a waste of time that should be spent training and being awesome.

Never counted a macro in my life and since I began to train in 2010 Ive added some quality strength and mass (even if my squat still blows =)

Last edited by big_swede; 08-02-2013 at 03:02 AM.
big_swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:05 AM   #3
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

I would strongly agree, now I think about it. Training, and training hard, is at least 90% of it.

Disregarding drugs, that is (bwahaha).
Old 08-02-2013, 05:36 AM   #4
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Diet can effect progression in the gym. It can cause regression, and not being able to put weight on the bar (keeping other things like, volume, frequency, and sleep equal), especially if you are eating like a bird (example only: sand bagging days where you are only eating 1200c calories per day, and a MT-Line of 2600c, and should be eating maybe 3000c, or 400c over MT, even keeping things in macros simple).

Training provides the "stimulation" for growth or strength increase. Diet provides the "means" in which to make it happen. One can not do it without the other, when we are talking training for certain purposes.

They are the "married couple" than can not be divorced.

To me they are "equally" important. And, to put training as high as 90% percent, and giving Diet 10% is not giving diet justice it deserves. I do agree we need not over analyze in certain instances (dependent on whom we are speaking about), but to undermine diet is stupid, IMO.

Eat 1000c calories each day, needing 3,000 maintenance (assuming you can stand the negative bodily feedback you will get), and see what happens to you, even IF you train hard 3 to 4 times per week (post newbie period). Training is not 90%. Training and diet (as are many other factors) are equally important, and how you tweak "each" depends on your personal goal want.

Peace and harmony,

Don

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 08-02-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Great little article.

I think this concept is important for the guys looking to get much bigger and stronger. If you aren't progressing in the gym, all that extra food is just going to be stored as fat instead of being used for energy to build new muscle tissue. But on the flip side, a lot of guys are just looking for a six pack and guns, so in that case diet may well be a bigger factor than the gym.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Bill
Max Brawn
Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

Where was this advice when I started lifting 20 years ago?
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
JBrown
Brawn
Points: 2,060, Level: 27 Points: 2,060, Level: 27 Points: 2,060, Level: 27
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
JBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributorJBrown is a dedicated contributor

I've found lack of sleep to be my biggest enemy. Even if diet is adequate, when I'm tired I can't push or pull for shit. However, if I'm fully rested I'm able to perform well even with less than optimal food. Just an intermediate level observation.
JBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:

This minimalist attention to nutrition has never let me down, and it is really all you need...

I take my minimalist approach a step further in that I don't tally protein just overall calories and then only a ballpark figure. This approach has worked well, for me, by just listening to any signals from the body and eating more when it asks for more.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
TobesLCFC
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

I was waiting for someone to come out and say this. People only say diet is x percent when the training is spot on and vice versa.
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
bigalfry
Max Brawn
Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: Beef
bigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machinebigalfry is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post

This minimalist attention to nutrition has never let me down, and it is really all you need unless you start cutting for a show.
Wow - I feel insanely honored and wise beyond my years to have come to the same two basic rules for my diet as a more experienced guy like you. I definitely feel like I fit in on these forums now. Bb.com and everywhere else you have to be a damn scientist to post anything on diet without getting flamed by some 'bro'. To find a place where it really is taken back to the basics is awesome.

I have a very good grasp of progressive loading and when to add weight. I have always struggled with the diet part of things though. To make decent gains how many calories and how many grams of protein are really needed? I guess that I'm just afraid of over doing it and my bf% skyrocketing.
I'm trying to pinpoint how much I need right now with trial and error but if you guys have a general guideline that you follow that would be a huge help.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Deadlift 425
Total = 1061

Meet PRs:
TBD

Training Log:
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17327
bigalfry is online now   Reply With Quote