Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #1
styrkecoach
Brawn
Points: 1,557, Level: 22 Points: 1,557, Level: 22 Points: 1,557, Level: 22
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

styrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good posts
Default muscular imbalance?

was experimenting with my squat stance, trying to bring my feet wider apart.

notice that in the hole, while trying to return to the standig position it felt heavyer on my right leg.

why is this?

am I a criple of some sort or is it just that this wide stance is just very unusual for the body.
remember the first time i squatet i felt a tightnes in my left hamstring in the parallel position, just continued to squat very easy for about a month and it went away.

having no problem with my usual shoulder wide stance, but was just experimenting.

if there is a problem, would it be a good idea to just squat wide for a while, light weights, to addapt this imbalance?
maybe il gain something from it to...hmmm any toughts?
styrkecoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

When I train wider it really taxes my hamstrings. Possible you have one hamstring a bit stronger then the other?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

^ This
Old 06-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #4
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Check your form in front of a mirror. When Squatting heavy, sometimes your form will falter and your body will shift more of the weight onto your dominant leg. When you put yourself under a heavy weight, your body doesn't understand form; it only knows it has to get that weight up however it can or it will be crushed. Thus, it will play to its strengths.

I had a similar problem when I started Squatting. Would shift the weight to my left leg by accident. Took a few weeks to get the form right again.
IronManlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
andys_trim
Max Brawn
Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53 Points: 6,607, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift!
Fav Supp: Any I can afford.
andys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributorandys_trim is a dedicated contributor

I am not an expert on this, but a suggestion is make sure your feet even. Also, when experimenting with stance make sure you use light weight! Don't want anyone getting hurt.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...tml#post103267 - Home of no compromising and busting ass day in and day out
andys_trim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:37 AM   #6
styrkecoach
Brawn

styrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good postsstyrkecoach has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
When I train wider it really taxes my hamstrings. Possible you have one hamstring a bit stronger then the other?
was thinking i had one weaker/tighter than the other, but I prefer you suggestion, sounds much better.

think il train a couple of sets wide stance light, just for the variations. maybe it'l even up.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
NephilimRising
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

NephilimRising is off to a bad start

It could even be that your left leg is longer than your right leg and thus the weight tends to rest on your shorter leg. This is actually quite common.

You can partially fix the misalignment of your hips by doing the following exercises:

http://i39.tinypic.com/1he8ok.jpg (The bottom one)
http://i43.tinypic.com/2a8gcg0.jpg

I didn't embed because these pictures are quite large.

Last edited by NephilimRising; 06-02-2010 at 07:06 PM.
NephilimRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:15 AM   #8
styrkecoach
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NephilimRising View Post
It could even be that your left leg is longer than your right leg and thus the weight tends to rest on your shorter leg. This is actually quite common.

You can partially fix the misalignment of your hips by doing the following exercises:

http://i39.tinypic.com/1he8ok.jpg (The bottom one)
http://i43.tinypic.com/2a8gcg0.jpg

I didn't embed because these pictures are quite large.
thanx man, will be doing these as a warm up maybe, with my gluteus exercises, and some dynamic movement.
shouldent take me more than 10min.

always prefered spesific warm up insteed of jogging for 10min then do squats