Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
Alex96
New Brawn
Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Alex96 is off to a bad start
Default workout routine?

I always hear about like the best workout and all of that, but how much of a difference is there between following a specific workout , and just training the same body part and the same type of excersises without a set number of reps, I always do three sets. like doing flys one day and push-ups the next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alex96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2014, 09:47 PM   #2
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I don't plan out most of my workouts. I have a vague idea of what I want to do and maybe a couple specific goals, but that's all I have prepared. But you have to remember that I've been doing this for quite a while. The best thing someone in your position can do is to choose your goals and work backwards from there. Make long term goals, then break that down into short term goals that lead to your long term goal. Once you have your short term goals planned out, choose your training program based on whatever the next goal is.

Now when you mention working the same body part multiple days in a row, you need to remember one guiding principle; You grow when you AREN'T training. The training stimulates the adaptations that lead to growth, but it's only when you give your muscles time to recover that they will grow. Now I'm also a fan of higher frequency. I think you can train most muscle groups 2-3 times a week and get great results, but you have to match the volume (How much work you do) to the frequency (how often you train a body part). As the volume of a single session goes up, the frequency must go down to allow you to recover. So if you want to work the same muscles more often, you have to limit how much work each muscle group actually does in a single session. You have to abandon the idea that gains will only come when you completely annihilate a muscle group and leave yourself in pain for days after.

One way to control this is to take a body part split program you like, then simply take the same movements and reps/sets and split them up differently. Instead of 1 leg day, take your 3-4 leg movements and split them up throughout your 3-4 weekly sessions. Then do the same thing with all the chest movements, back movements, etc, making sure that the most important body parts all get a turn going first in at least one session each week. It may seem like it would give you the same results since you're still hitting each body part with the same amount of overall work every week, but splitting it up so you hit multiple body parts per day is actually far more effective while avoiding the annoying soreness and pain that comes with destroying a body part for over an hour then not hitting it again for a while week.

Last edited by Soldier; 08-26-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
Alex96
New Brawn
Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Alex96 is off to a bad start

so like doing a specific routine doesn't really get better results than just lifting a certain part with different reps and excersises? thank you for your help

Alex96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:58 PM   #4
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Honestly, I think until you get a few more years under your belt you'll be better off choosing a program and hitting it as hard as possible, as written. After you get more experience you'll be better at choosing things that will help you towards your goals. If you want more ideas than the ones we've already talked about then check out Bendthebar's (Steve's) Ebook Massive Iron. Lots of programs, lots of information, all based on a very solid system that should work very well for your aesthetic goals.

Remember, it's all about actually reaching your goals. Most people don't objectively take a step back and ask themselves if they are really taking the right steps to get to the exact place they want to be. If you were starting a business, would you say "Well, I'll just figure it out as I go"? No. You'd plan every little thing out so that you knew you were giving yourself the best shot at being successful. Training should be no different, especially with someone who has lofty goals and isn't necessarily very patient, like yourself (no offence).
Old 08-26-2014, 11:43 PM   #5
BravenFenix
Max Brawn
Points: 2,947, Level: 33 Points: 2,947, Level: 33 Points: 2,947, Level: 33
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 04/2013
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Flavorless Whey
BravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributorBravenFenix is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex96 View Post
so like doing a specific routine doesn't really get better results than just lifting a certain part with different reps and excersises? thank you for your help

As long as you are adding more reps or weight then you should be fine. That's what BTB means when he says maximize every set. Now you should be trying to hit everything at least 2x/week if you want to grow at any appreciable rate. If you are a beginner then you can do 3x/week. Like upper/lower or push/pull or even full body.
BravenFenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:52 AM   #6
pivost
Newb
New Brawn
Points: 436, Level: 8 Points: 436, Level: 8 Points: 436, Level: 8
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Vitamins
pivost has made some good postspivost has made some good postspivost has made some good postspivost has made some good postspivost has made some good postspivost has made some good postspivost has made some good postspivost has made some good postspivost has made some good postspivost has made some good postspivost has made some good posts

the only routine that is superior is the one that you can stick with.

just dont be that guy where every day is upperbody day.

Do a lower/upper or a Legs/push/pull split - ive seen great results with both
pivost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #7
brad1224
Max Brawn
Points: 5,286, Level: 46 Points: 5,286, Level: 46 Points: 5,286, Level: 46
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Cake Of Chaos Champion!
brad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machine

plain and simple...there is no one routine that is the best

it is all about your body

i think whats more important is the amount of days you have to recover. a lot of people dont give enough days to recover.

just go into the gym and lift one body part a day and do that for 4 lifts four sets each and try and get more reps or more weight each time you do that lift. change lifts. you have to find what lifts works best for you.

***AAEFX REP***

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com
brad1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

My best workout routine is my workout routine.