Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #1711
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc300 View Post
Hey BeardedBeast,
Im currently doing the sheiko program 29 at the moment.
However, as i needed to work slightly more on my pulling i swapped the DB flyes (i only own up to 20kg DB's so i don't want to rely on them) with bent over rows & i also swapped the walking lunges for a split squat as i am also lacking room in my home gym, and i also swapped the pushups for close grip bench just to work on my pressing a bit more.
Do you think that this is a good idea? As well as do you recommend any specific ab work for powerlifting and mobility exercises?
I think your swaps are good. I actually think overall they are equal or better choices.

As far as ab work, I strong recommend:

--Ab wheel rollouts
--Planks
--Rolling planks

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #1712
sethtt
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

sethtt is new to the forumsethtt is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Thanks for the kind words.

For the first year you need to eat right now until you are gaining about 2-3 pounds per month. Start at 3000 calories per day and watch that for one month. If you are not gaining, add more.

You are not fat and have little likelihood of getting fat. Instead, focus on getting as strong as humanly possible while slowly gaining weight. If you do this, you will look amazing at 180. If you don't get strong you WILL look sloppy at 180. Most guys fail at bulking because they don't concentrate on progression.

Cardio, you need only several 20 minute sessions per week for health. As far as workouts, Pick one that motivates you to lift consistently, preferably a fullbody for the first 6 months. Workouts aren't as important as progression.

Check out my new book for more info.

If you gain weight without getting strong you get fat. That is what YOU control.
Thanks for the reply! Ive actually been working out four about two years and only about a year and a half with weights. I think that I have been over doing it and lost muscle. But Im going to take your advice on all of it! But you think for me and overall muscle growth a full body would be better compared to these two programs of your 4 day power muscle burn or Upper/Lower 4 Day Gym Bodybuilding Split Workout both on M&S?
sethtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:57 PM   #1713
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhnsn8 View Post
Hi Steve,you see my Workout schedule on my thread but i wanna asking this,Powercleans first,after deadlift.. 2 pull exercise back to back,is this a bad idea ?

http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...t=17586&page=3

Did you make any changes, though?

Thank you
Looks great. Go get crazy strong!

Old 08-08-2014, 08:49 PM   #1714
TDawg75
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn
Points: 3,495, Level: 36 Points: 3,495, Level: 36 Points: 3,495, Level: 36

Training Exp: since 5/15/13
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: buffet plate carry
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
TDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machine

Hey, Steve. I am incorporating your rep-goal system into my routine. I have only used it on my bench press so far, but would like to use it on squats and deads as well.

I am more concerned with strength than adding muscle (but building muscle is nice, too, lol). I would like your recommendations on how to best incorporate the rep-goal system into my routine. Due to my work schedule, I have to train on three consecutive days, then take four days off. I do bench press and bb rows on day one, squats and deads on day two, and shoulder press/arms on day three (fluff and buff day, lol).

On bench press, I am using four sets with a goal of 20 reps. I was thinking of going for four sets totaling 20-24 on squats/deads. I can set a higher goal on bench if you think I need to, but I'm a pretty big wuss when it comes to high rep squats and deads, lol.

Does this look ok to you or should I change the sets/rep goals up a little?

Btw, I almost forgot. Today, I did three sets of ten on bench press after I finished with the rep-goal work. Should I remove those sets and just do the rep-goal sets? (is that too much?) Thanks in advance for your help, BTB.

Gym pr's- bench 330, DL 405, squat 450
Meet pr's- bench 350, dl 425, squat tbd
My new training log- http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17510

Last edited by TDawg75; 08-08-2014 at 11:12 PM.
TDawg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:55 AM   #1715
markojanksob
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1

markojanksob is new to the forummarkojanksob is new to the forum

Do you think there is a way to use your rep goal system on exercises like one arm dumbell rows? The problem here of course is that one side may be stronger than the other one.. And it wouldn't be good if you do more reps one side, right?
markojanksob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:34 AM   #1716
SmoothGibbonLove
Points: 715, Level: 14 Points: 715, Level: 14 Points: 715, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

SmoothGibbonLove is new to the forumSmoothGibbonLove is new to the forum

Hello Bearded Beast,

Could I get a quick form check?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=eNjgGx6lrDY

This is the first time I've tried low-bar squatting, and as you can see, I'm pretty tall (6'6) with long-ass femurs.

Also, any training tips for guys with my sort of build?

Cheers.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 08-13-2014 at 07:53 AM.
SmoothGibbonLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:52 AM   #1717
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by markojanksob View Post
Do you think there is a way to use your rep goal system on exercises like one arm dumbell rows? The problem here of course is that one side may be stronger than the other one.. And it wouldn't be good if you do more reps one side, right?
It's normal for one side to be stronger than the other. What I typically do is wait until both arms can hit the rep goal before adding weight on rows and dumbbell presses.

Right now on one arm overhead dumbbell presses my right arm is 2 reps stronger. Even after 28 years this imbalance remains. I am waiting until the left hits my goal before adding weight to both.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:02 AM   #1718
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothGibbonLove View Post
Hello Bearded Beast,

Could I get a quick form check?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=eNjgGx6lrDY

This is the first time I've tried low-bar squatting, and as you can see, I'm pretty tall (6'6) with long-ass femurs.

Also, any training tips for guys with my sort of build?

Cheers.
Couple tips:

1) Lock your elbows down; get them tight. You want a tight upper back and arms before squatting.

2) Don't push your hips back before you descend. Let them naturally come back as you descend. this action is contributing to you doing more of a good morning than a squat.

3) I don't recommend you look down. It's throwing your center of balance forward. Watch the bar move forward from the start of your squat.
Keep your head neutral and drive it up from the hole.

4) Your hips stay back out of the hole. Drive them forward to lockout your squat. That's your source of power.

This looks like a classical Rippetoe squat. My best advice is to relax, try to keep your squats feeling natural. Rippetoe tends to do more to form lock a trainee than anything. It's hindering you more than helping you.

Stay tight, don't thrust those hips back, let them natural go back, and keep your head neutral.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:09 AM   #1719
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDawg75 View Post
Hey, Steve. I am incorporating your rep-goal system into my routine. I have only used it on my bench press so far, but would like to use it on squats and deads as well.

I am more concerned with strength than adding muscle (but building muscle is nice, too, lol). I would like your recommendations on how to best incorporate the rep-goal system into my routine. Due to my work schedule, I have to train on three consecutive days, then take four days off. I do bench press and bb rows on day one, squats and deads on day two, and shoulder press/arms on day three (fluff and buff day, lol).

On bench press, I am using four sets with a goal of 20 reps. I was thinking of going for four sets totaling 20-24 on squats/deads. I can set a higher goal on bench if you think I need to, but I'm a pretty big wuss when it comes to high rep squats and deads, lol.

Does this look ok to you or should I change the sets/rep goals up a little?

Btw, I almost forgot. Today, I did three sets of ten on bench press after I finished with the rep-goal work. Should I remove those sets and just do the rep-goal sets? (is that too much?) Thanks in advance for your help, BTB.
The rep goal system was my primary trength-builder over the years.

I would do 20-25 on squats whichever feels better. That is fine as well for deads as long as you are not pushing reps when your form starts to fade a bit.

On bench I follow them with bench reps or perhaps close grip or dumbbell benches. That's a good hypertrophy, tricep strength builder. Looks good to me.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #1720
Adamite1114
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30

Training Exp: on and off 7 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Squats
Fav Supp: Phosflex
Adamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributor

Hey BTB, long time no talk. Gotta quick question for you. If someone needed to get back into lifting but could only train Saturdays and Sundays, how would you set up the program? (Goal Specifics: gain weight (on needed medication that creates a pretty drastic loss of appetite), build strength and muscle)

As always, thanks for all the knowledge that you so generously share.

P.S. Gym has no barbells... dun DUN DUUUUNNNNN
Adamite1114 is offline   Reply With Quote